Another beco vs ergo thread

tl01

I have an ergo and love it. I like that it puts my child's weight on my hips and not back. Does the beco do the same? Does it do it better? I want something to help spare my poor back and shoulders from my big boy:). I'm thinking I need to wear him more but want something that is best for me.

ADS

ctbcleveland

I had both for a brief while and found that the beco did a better job for me - the torso section of the ergo was too long (I am 5.4). If you are shorter, I'd consider the Beco. If you are taller, I am not sure I'd bother because they will probably be functionally the same.

My kiddo was 20 lbs at 4 months and I really couldn't wear him for very long at that point in any carrier. Maybe I am weak - IDK.

Last edited:

tl01

I had both for a brief while and found that the beco did a better job for me - the torso section of the ergo was too long (I am 5.4). If you are shorter, I'd consider the Beco. If you are taller, I am not sure I'd bother because they will probably be functionally the same.

My kiddo was 20 lbs at 4 months and I really couldn't wear him for very long at that point in any carrier. Maybe I am weak - IDK.

Thanks! I wonder if becos ever go on sale?

armyfam

I have never tried an ergo but do have a Beco. Dd is 20 pounds and a back carry is very easy and comfortable. I can't carry her up front for long periods of time any more bc it starts to get uncomfortable and she is in my way when I am trying to get things done. I do hate the buckles near the babies head though bc they made a mark on DD's head. I bought suck pads to cover the buckles.

Last edited:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have an older Beco and an Ergo. I didn't have a chance to get used to the Ergo before I hurt my shoulder and had to stop babwearing, but it was comfy. It was ungainly to me, as it was shorter and allowed DS to fling himself around more. The Beco went up his back much further and felt more solid. The Beco also very comfortably distributes the weight on your hips--once you get the straps figured out. When I first got mine I had the tendency to tighten everything up as much as possible and that was a strain on the shoulders.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I felt that the Ergo was too short in the body, and didn't like the internal harness of the Beco, so I looked elsewhere. I ended up with an Olives and Applesauce which I love to bits. :love: I know I've talked about it on here before, but - I can wear my 31lb 22mo for hours at a time, and I've even worn my then-40lb 3.5yo for an hour or so. That wasn't the most comfortable thing ever, but I also wasn't in excruciating pain, and it was at the end of a long, exhausting day.

The little guy, I wore over the summer (I think he was 24-28lbs then, 18-20mos) sometimes all day long. We do a lot of travel and field trips, and some of them are not suitable for toddler feet. The only problems I've had were when it's HOT out, when I become a BWing wimp and figure out a way to mash a stroller into my overpacked vehicle, lol. Also, I cannot pull up the sleep hood on my own -- one of the big kids or a passerby has to help me. For a 7m old, he would probably still sit down in the body enough that it wouldn't be an issue yet.

Anyways, it does an awesome job putting his weight onto my hips/legs, and if I feel him in my shoulders I know I've tied it incorrectly. I got mine used off of FSOT at TBW, think it was around $80.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC