Question 8 year old not in a booster?

mlohry

So a fellow friend who is a car seat fanatic like me, pointed out to me that technically according to MN law where we live, my oldest DS would not have to be in a booster, because he is 8, I have never tried to see if he would fit without a booster, I just assumed he wouldn't. The law says they have to be 8 or 4 feet 9 inches tall, so since he is 8 he wouldn't need a booster, even though he is not that tall, I don't get it.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well the laws are the bare minimums and are not the safest way to travel. You know the booster is safer. It helps the seat belt fit right.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Because my grandmother is 4'9" and shrinking. So the 8 years OR means she wouldn't need a booster.

Conversely, there was an eight year old in Piper's class a couple of years ago who was easily 4'9". So she may have been unsafe in a backless since she was so tall. It may have put her over the headrest in the back. She's now 10 and several inches taller than me.

Wendy

mrs_teeee67

Shoot, here my daughter wasn't 'required' to be in something once she was 6 years and 60 lbs. My 'friend' informed me, 'She doesn't need anything!" yeah, right!

Jan06twinmom

Are you familiar with the 5 step test? It would be worth checking it out to see if your DS fits just a seatbelt properly.

I can't get the link to work right now, but do a search for "Boosters are for big kids."

Melanie

mlohry

I would never move my son without him passing the 5 step test, but I wasn't even familiar with the law until today, I was very surprised that he technically wouldn't need to be in a booster solely because of his age. My hubby told me my brother in law got rid of my nephews booster because he was 8, not because he is big enough, I know he isn't, because our son is the same size and younger. How many others are out there that only go by age.

Qarin

I don't think there are any state laws which don't have an age out. California used to be "4 years old and 40lbs", but when they went to 6 years old they switched it to "or 60lbs".

MommaKellie

Are you familiar with the 5 step test? It would be worth checking it out to see if your DS fits just a seatbelt properly.

I can't get the link to work right now, but do a search for "Boosters are for big kids."

Melanie

I might be doing something wrong, but I searched both "boosters are for big kids" and "5 strap test", and I couldn't find anything. I don't need this information so it's not really important that I find it NOW, but I was just curious as to what it is. ;)

Shaunam

There was a few months period of time where Adrian didn't need anything at all at age 4 before our new law went into effect here in Ohio. Of course, I never let him ride without, but sometimes I would look at him and think, "What in the world are people thinking even IF the law says it's ok". I can kind of get how people think an 8 year old doesn't need a booster, even if they don't quite pass the 5 step test if they aren't familiar with it. But a 4 year old!? I had one friend who grudgingly put her 4 and 6 year olds in backless boosters when the law passed. The 4 year old was almost exactly Adrian's age and size. I do not get it.

I cannot wait until adrian is 8 and people start telling me he doesn't need a seat. :rolleyes: I mean, he may very well pass by then since his dad was a big dude, but I won't count on it. And he'll certainly at least be in a backless if he's too small for the seatbelt.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm guessing if the lawmakers had ever seen this study (check the graph on the bottom right) http://surgery.med.umich.edu/portal/clinical/booster/ more states would be like, what is it, Wyoming, that the law is THROUGH age 8, that means to 9 (ah, here it is, WY and TN... http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx), or like Northern European countries where its to age 12 or 4 foot 11 (four foot 9 is based on older cars, four 11 is more in keeping with our bigger seats now, like captain's chairs...and 12 is when they are well into puberty and the lapbelt can stay lower on the hips).

Kat_Momof3

the law here was 6 or 60lbs until the summer before Damian turned 8... then it switched to 8 or 80lbs... with the allowance for a doctor's note to excuse a child from using a booster (I know, who but Damian would have possibly needed that)

Damian was 4'9" and 100lbs at 8yrs old, and he's over the 100th percentile for height... this tells me that literally any child who is not over that will need a booster past age 8... typically well past it.

I like the UK law... 12 or 4'11"... very sensible... since only the lower 50% will not hit 4'9-4'11" by the time they are 12-13yrs old...

and hopefully parents would err on the side of caution, but if not, the hip bones are totally solid at that point.

Jeffrey is in the 80th percentiles and he will probably turn 10 before he hits 4'9"

Jan06twinmom

I might be doing something wrong, but I searched both "boosters are for big kids" and "5 strap test", and I couldn't find anything. I don't need this information so it's not really important that I find it NOW, but I was just curious as to what it is. ;)

It worked on my desktop...

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.pdf

I think the one someone else posted is basically the same thing. I just like the pdf version better since it's easy to print and copy.

Melanie

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Neither of the boys need a booster here. Evan is 6 and not even 4' tall, he's actually 3.5' tall and barely 40# but he's free to ride w/out a booster according to the law. He barely uses a booster, he's always harnessed w/ me and his babysitter. AJ is bigger but still doesn't fit a seatbelt. I've had 1 7yo leave an event w/out a booster and fit. They had a tiny 3rd row in their minivan, otherwise she would not have made it.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Here in CT it's over 6 (have reached their 7th birthday) AND 60lbs...both.

So a chunky 7 year old who is not nearly tall enough for the seat belt to fit properly can LEGALLY be in a booster.

What I tell parents is that the law specifies a bare minimum. That, after that, it's up to them to do the research and know what is best practice. I teach them that best practice is to do the 5 step test once the child reaches the legal miniums. If they pass, the parents can choose to booster or not. If they don't the parents *should* choose to continue to booster for optimum safety.

ConnorsMommy

The law in my state is under 8 years old must be in a booster. My son will be 4 in March and is nowhere close to that stage. I will keep him in a booster until he passes the 5 step test even if he is 10 years old. It bothers me how parents will do just the bare minimum (if even that) with their children because it is "easier" or "more convenient". My son is not a minimum! I wish that there was more education out there about the dangers of moving a child onto the "next step" too early. So many parents think of it as a developmental milestone instead of a safety issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC