Getting certified..

Baylor

Is there anything you need to know before you go? Anything that would help with the course?

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Is there anything you need to know before you go? Anything that would help with the course?

If you read read read and research research research here, you'll be ahead of just about everyone taking the course. :thumbsup:

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you read read read and research research research here, you'll be ahead of just about everyone taking the course. :thumbsup:

This. I feel like I was very knowledgeable about things just from reading on here. :) It definitely helped in my course.

Baylor

I have a course I want to sign up for. My only issue is child care.. It is tough for me. I am hoping to have my aunt help me out and pay her.. but that is the only thing holding me up. It is in february but right around the corner.

The other thing.. Do you need a background check? I had one before Not sure if I could find the paperwork now..

Thanks! I love this place and all the information. I just love what it is about keeping kids safe.. Thanks for all those that help and offer to help us moms.

autumnlily

I wish someone had told me not to try and answer all the questions... I was too excited and giddy and spending time here really did prep me for the class. I ended up being the nerdy kid in class!

No, I didn't need a background check.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
LOL right after I was certified, I found out there's a class in February near me. I had to drive an hour to Philadelphia each morning and an hour or so home which made the day longer. So another piece of advice is that if you do have an early morning because of the course, drink coffee or another form of caffeine!!! And LOTS of it! :p

Baylor

LOL right after I was certified, I found out there's a class in February near me. I had to drive an hour to Philadelphia each morning and an hour or so home which made the day longer. So another piece of advice is that if you do have an early morning because of the course, drink coffee or another form of caffeine!!! And LOTS of it! :p

There is a dunkin donuts right on the way... Thanks! I really want to do this so I am hoping it will work out.

Any advice is great keep it coming!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I wish someone had told me not to try and answer all the questions... I was too excited and giddy and spending time here really did prep me for the class. I ended up being the nerdy kid in class!

Yes, this is a good reminder to sort of sit back, keep quiet, and pay attention. It's very tempting to answer every question, to correct the instructors (say, if they misspeak about a particular car seat), etc. and while sometimes that's not a problem, you can also run the risk of irritating the instructors, who may very well be the Safe Kids folks you'll work with after you're certified. No need to start out on the wrong foot with them. :twocents:

Baylor

Yes, this is a good reminder to sort of sit back, keep quiet, and pay attention. It's very tempting to answer every question, to correct the instructors (say, if they misspeak about a particular car seat), etc. and while sometimes that's not a problem, you can also run the risk of irritating the instructors, who may very well be the Safe Kids folks you'll work with after you're certified. No need to start out on the wrong foot with them. :twocents:

Gotcha... I ask more questions than I will answer. I always want to learn more.. make sure I got it. This is something I am really looking forward to!

monstah

Wholeheartedly agree. I took the class with a fellow long time member from here and we were forced to zip our lips on a few issues. You want them to want to work with you and put you on an email list for checks. I wanted to toss my :twocents: in every 15 minutes but I kept my mouth shut so that they invite me to checks. :p That's where I can make a difference. Have fun, I think you are going to like it!!

Baylor

A few more questions..I don't want to finish registration until I have the child care..

Do you pay through the site ahead of time? And when I registered it asked me for company name.. I put -none- .. Is that okay?

Mom2FiveGirls

A few more questions..I don't want to finish registration until I have the child care..

Do you pay through the site ahead of time? And when I registered it asked me for company name.. I put -none- .. Is that okay?

I paid ahead of time. And I put none for company as well.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
No guarantees, but if you email the lead instructor and let them know that you are paying out of pocket, it's possible they could waive the local fee for you. You always have to pay the SafeKids fee, but sometimes there is a little wiggle room on the local fee.

Baylor

No guarantees, but if you email the lead instructor and let them know that you are paying out of pocket, it's possible they could waive the local fee for you. You always have to pay the SafeKids fee, but sometimes there is a little wiggle room on the local fee.

It says no local fee. I am so excited about this. After being home with 2 kids for the last 7 years, It is nice to feel like I have something for me to focus on.

I also have a connection through my mom. The guy that runs the seat checks through a local hospital is a friend of my moms.. He said he can always use more help.

I am going to try and square away the child care by Sunday and enroll monday.. There are 15 seats left so I am okay for now!

Thanks all!

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Baylor, you have NOTHING to worry about with the class! You know more than most if not all of the others that will be there already.

The only things I learned was the FMVSS stuff which really you won't use much irl and the BSC which you also will rarely if ever use irl (I have though, in my dh's car).

I asked a ton of questions and was asked by several "this is all just a formality for you, isn't it?"
The instructors were taking bets on who would score highest on the written test. I asked if I got the money ($10) that they had bet if I won (which they were betting on). I got an extra shirt instead. Yes, I won, 100% is hard to beat. Not that I was smarter, just that I already knew almost everything so it was easy to pass.

You'll be fine! I hope you can get your child care worked out. I told my friends if they'd take my kids, I'd help them install any/all seats, trade babysitting, help find deals on car seats, etc. I worked it out somehow and I too payed out-of pocket with "none" as company.

Good luck!

Baylor

Baylor, you have NOTHING to worry about with the class! You know more than most if not all of the others that will be there already.

The only things I learned was the FMVSS stuff which really you won't use much irl and the BSC which you also will rarely if ever use irl (I have though, in my dh's car).

I asked a ton of questions and was asked by several "this is all just a formality for you, isn't it?"
The instructors were taking bets on who would score highest on the written test. I asked if I got the money ($10) that they had bet if I won (which they were betting on). I got an extra shirt instead. Yes, I won, 100% is hard to beat. Not that I was smarter, just that I already knew almost everything so it was easy to pass.

You'll be fine! I hope you can get your child care worked out. I told my friends if they'd take my kids, I'd help them install any/all seats, trade babysitting, help find deals on car seats, etc. I worked it out somehow and I too payed out-of pocket with "none" as company.

Good luck!

Thanks so much!! I am so excited to take it.. I hope it all works out. For me it is more about getting someone to be there to pick my son up and watch the baby.. I am nuts about who drives my kids so that is an issue too. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC