Narrow boosters

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I know this is a super common question, but what puzzles well with a FF Radian, and works well in cars with the big side bolsters? I can't try anything out in person--anything I do buy would have to be ordered from Amazon, and I'd be stuck with it.

DD is long torsoed and skinny--she's 37lbs and 43", and just a smidge under the top slots of her Radian XTSL. We've about maxed it out.

I tried the Turbo bu it is squished in there and is forced at an angle.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Ok, so based on pictures I could find online:

-the Vivo is narrow, but I don't think it would work with the side bolsters.

-the Probooster is wide, but looks like it might work with the side bolsters.

-the Parkway doesn't look like it will work. Plus DD is tall & skinny so it might not fit her anyway.

-the Monterey looks like it might work with the bolsters, but I'm super nervous about her fit in it.

We have a Turbo and it just doesn't fit. It's tipped at an angle outboard, works ok center but I can't reach to buckle it and I'm afraid she will unbuckle the seat next to her if she tries to buckle (and she hates trying to buckle herself anyway).

I need to order something in the next week. Any suggestions?

Here are the bolsters:

bmw005.jpg

You know what looks like it would work great with the bolsters? The stupid SmartSeat! :rolleyes:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
What kind of car is that? The side bolsters look similar to those in my dh's VW Golf; I could try the PB in there. Plus, I know the TB gets knocked a-kilter slightly when there's a seat in the middle in his car, so it sounds like a similar fit.

I've got an old-style PW I could stick in there, too, but I'm not sure how much they've changed. It's actually already in there, but I don't know if it gets tilted by the bolsters because I've never had a carseat in the middle with the PW.

tracee877

Honestly, with the bolsters you're not going to have much luck. :sorry!: I had the same problem when I was trying to get 3 across in my Accord and we ended up having to get a different vehicle. But I was trying to get 2 boosters and a convertible. The only booster that came close to fitting was the old Parkway. Since you are only needing 1 booster you might have better luck. It seems you currently have pretty much the most narrow seats on the market. If you can get your hands on an old Parkway I'd bet it would work. Otherwise, you're going to need a seat that's narrow at the back and flares outward like the PW.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
What kind of car is that? The side bolsters look similar to those in my dh's VW Golf; I could try the PB in there. Plus, I know the TB gets knocked a-kilter slightly when there's a seat in the middle in his car, so it sounds like a similar fit.

I've got an old-style PW I could stick in there, too, but I'm not sure how much they've changed. It's actually already in there, but I don't know if it gets tilted by the bolsters because I've never had a carseat in the middle with the PW.

Thanks. It's a BMW X5.

Honestly, with the bolsters you're not going to have much luck. :sorry!: I had the same problem when I was trying to get 3 across in my Accord and we ended up having to get a different vehicle. But I was trying to get 2 boosters and a convertible. The only booster that came close to fitting was the old Parkway. Since you are only needing 1 booster you might have better luck. It seems you currently have pretty much the most narrow seats on the market. If you can get your hands on an old Parkway I'd bet it would work. Otherwise, you're going to need a seat that's narrow at the back and flares outward like the PW.

Thanks, the Parkway seems to be the way to go. I'll have to see if I can find one.

I just googled the original Parkway and it seems perfect! Does it fit narrow kids well?

Kat_Momof3

the old parkway is even better for the smallest booster riders than a turbo... Ruthie could fit one (she never rode in it... but it was nice to buckle her in while I was uninstalling seats to take the covers in for washing, or to put the covers back on and reinstall) when she was 2.

but here's my quandry... have you tried putting the booster in the middle seat, then putting the coccoro on one side and the Radian/CA on the other side??

not the most convenient situation, but the bolsters wouldn't be the issue then.

Now down the line, when it's time for backless boosters, you'll love the bolsters... they look like a comfy place to rest a noggin.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah, before we got our Radian & Coccoro, I had the Turbo in the middle. It's the only place the Turbo worked. I dislike having it in the middle because I am worried that she would unbuckle the seat installed outboard since both buckles are next to each other. She also can't buckle (or at least couldn't buckle the Turbo--but maybe the old Parkway with no arm rests would be better?) and for the next few weeks I have one arm in a sling and can't buckle for her.

Also, in the center, the headrest is slightly different and pushes the top of the booster forward. It does adjust up but not as far as the outboard seats.

Kat_Momof3

so then the key would be a booster made to accomodate the headrests... sad to say, with similar headrests (though they're just tall... not moveable or removeable), the Evenflo Big Kid works amazing... but it takes up a bit more space than the turbo.

can you remove the headrests??

I get the concern about accidental unbuckling... can you twist the buckle for the installed seat 180* to put the button for releasing against the seat

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Head rests are non-removable. I don't think I'm wiling to try a Big Kid just yet :eek: Maybe after I've run out of other options.

The buckle stalks don't pull much out of the seat, and they don't flip over, unfortunately.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Will diapers.com ship to you, so you can take advantage of the return shipping?

Despite the general rule of thumb that the Monterey doesn't fit tinies well, I've fit a couple of my small ones in it and been pleased. That said, I wouldn't recommend it unless you could send it back, and that sucker's heavy.

I can try a couple of my littles in it next week (I have one 42lb/42") if that helps you any.

Or maybe try to get your hands on a FPSVB... they come around in swap every now and again.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I finally got around to putting the PB in dh's VW. It does buy a little bit of room, because of the way the back is shaped - the bolsters tuck right into the shoulder-part of the PB . It still ended up tilted if I moved it all the way outboard (about one more inch), but dh's car has bolsters on the bottom of the seat as well as the back, so that was most of the problem.

Just eyeballing it, I think it would puzzle VERY well with a FF Radian; not sure about having room between them to buckle, because I don't have a Radian to try it with, but with the way the PB is shaped, it should leave at least a little gap. (I have had a FF Radian installed in the center of that car, btw, so even though I was just eyeballing it, it was from memory. :D )

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Will diapers.com ship to you, so you can take advantage of the return shipping?

Despite the general rule of thumb that the Monterey doesn't fit tinies well, I've fit a couple of my small ones in it and been pleased. That said, I wouldn't recommend it unless you could send it back, and that sucker's heavy.

I can try a couple of my littles in it next week (I have one 42lb/42") if that helps you any.

Or maybe try to get your hands on a FPSVB... they come around in swap every now and again.

I wish, but no, diapers.com and 99.9% of the online retailers will not ship to Alaska. Anything I do buy will most likely have to come from Amazon since they are the only place with free shipping.

And thanks for the suggestion of the FPSVB, I had totally forgotten about that option.

I finally got around to putting the PB in dh's VW. It does buy a little bit of room, because of the way the back is shaped - the bolsters tuck right into the shoulder-part of the PB . It still ended up tilted if I moved it all the way outboard (about one more inch), but dh's car has bolsters on the bottom of the seat as well as the back, so that was most of the problem.

Just eyeballing it, I think it would puzzle VERY well with a FF Radian; not sure about having room between them to buckle, because I don't have a Radian to try it with, but with the way the PB is shaped, it should leave at least a little gap. (I have had a FF Radian installed in the center of that car, btw, so even though I was just eyeballing it, it was from memory. :D )

Thank you! That helps.

Right now my setup is RF CCO behind the driver for DS, FF Radian in center for 5yo DD1, RF Radian for DD2. I have the CA I can use too. In total I have 2 XTSLs, one CA, one CCO, a Turbo, and a SS1.

Niea

Head rests are non-removable. I don't think I'm wiling to try a Big Kid just yet :eek: Maybe after I've run out of other options.

The buckle stalks don't pull much out of the seat, and they don't flip over, unfortunately.

Are you positive they aren't removable? We have a vehicle that appeared to have non-removable headrests and it turns out they are removable, just that the dealer had to do it. They have a special tool that fits into the hole to unlock it. So I say talk to the BMW dealer and see what they say.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Are you positive they aren't removable? We have a vehicle that appeared to have non-removable headrests and it turns out they are removable, just that the dealer had to do it. They have a special tool that fits into the hole to unlock it. So I say talk to the BMW dealer and see what they say.

Thanks, I will look into it :thumbsup: I have to take it in to the BMW shop anyway to get a door handle fixed so I'll ask then. :) I can dig through the manual again too--I readily admit I didn't try too hard to get it off. :cool:

firemomof3

I have the harmony dreamtime booster and its very narrow and I bought it specifically to fit between 2 Radians. The only catch...its shorter than most other boosters.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Is this a full time vehicle or occasional vehicle? If it's just once in a while or not long trips, how about a RSTV?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Is this a full time vehicle or occasional vehicle? If it's just once in a while or not long trips, how about a RSTV?

It's my main car. The RSTV is an option if nothing else fits, but I think it would be a pain to use on a daily basis.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have the harmony dreamtime booster and its very narrow and I bought it specifically to fit between 2 Radians. The only catch...its shorter than most other boosters.

Those are at Walmart, right? I might have to check those out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC