35 lb 5 year old in a Monterey (pics)

Holly

We tried out the Monterey today at USA Baby.
DD fit a lot better than I expected. I'm not a tech, but by my untrained eyes, the fit looked fine, if anything maybe the belt was a little too close to her neck, but it wasn't too wide for her. I wasn't expecting the fit to be that good.
I don't know if she is too short for it though, if her head is supposed to be up higher in the head rest. It was as low as it goes.
It fit well in the car (a 2007 Camry) though I didn't try to LATCH it in because it was cold and the lady from the store was watching me, I didn't want to take more time than necessary to see if she fit.
So, I liked the fit, but this is still going to be a no go because it's way too difficult to buckle, it's harder for me to do than the Turbo booster, and even that is a pain.
I'm not even going to try a parkway sg or sgl, after seeing the Montetrey in the car, I know those would be even worse.
Since she fit in this better than I expected, the next one I'll try will be the Compass B570, if I can find a store that has one, or in a few months I'll order one from somewhere that I can return easily if needed.

Pics.
Ignore the goofy expression, she was trying not to smile.

December2010290.jpg

December2010291.jpg

For reference, this is how she fits in the Radian. She's almost even with the 2nd to top slots.

December2010361.jpg

December2010362.jpg

ADS

Qarin

I think what you're seeing there is the reason why sometimes we see pictures of narrow kids in the Monterey and suggest raising the headrest a bit- your DD is going to grow up towards the shoulder belt guides and as she does the seatbelt will get further out towards the edge of her shoulder; so while the seatbelt is not too wide for her now, I do think the headwings are too high up to be of benefit to her- she's too short, and as she gets taller the shoulder belt fit will get worse before it gets better as she widens.

I am interested to hear what people think... Fiona turned 5 on Dec 1st, she is around the same weight.. maybe slightly lighter, but on the top slots of her radian.. and like seriously only has an inch maybe..

So she is a lot taller than your LO.. I am thinking about booster training her soon.. but not sure if I am quite ready as she is barely 5 and so light... It would sure make life easier when it comes to 3 acrossing my passat lol

we are actually leaving for NH (trip has been post poned for weather but we are definitly going tomorrow) anyways DH was saying we should take the passat, but I have no way to 3 across it right now.. otherwise I would do it.. I toyed with the idea of using the high back turbobooster for Fiona.. so I could make it work, but with the weather not so hot I am not ok with it.

Holly

Oh, I see what you mean, if the head rest could have been lowered, then the belt would have been further to the side, and probably not fitting well.
If left in that position where the belt fits her ok, is she too short for the head rest entirely? Not that it matters, as we're not buying one, just curious.
If she grew taller and grew into the head rest more, would she not widen enough for the shoulder belt as she grew?

Pixels

She seems to have a really short torso. What is her standing height? My 2.5yo DD is not quite as tall in the Radian, but would be on the same slots.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I am considering this for my 37lb 5.5 year old as well, who is just a hair under the top slots of her Radian XTSL and 43" tall. Unfortunately nobody in the state sells them, so I haven't been able to try one out. I might order one in January anyway and use it in Grandma's car or sell it if it doesn't fit in my car.

Holly

So she is a lot taller than your LO.. I am thinking about booster training her soon.. but not sure if I am quite ready as she is barely 5 and so light... It would sure make life easier when it comes to 3 acrossing my passat lol

For me, harnessing is a lot easier when doing 3 across. I would just like to move my oldest to a booster by the time she is 6. I told her before that we'd try to make it work. She really wants a booster already since she has started Kindergarten and sees what the other kids ride in. If we can find a booster that will work for our vehicle and dd and isn't a pain to buckle every day, then we'll switch.

Qarin

If she grew taller and grew into the head rest more, would she not widen enough for the shoulder belt as she grew?

Well... maybe! But it seems that most kids at this age, and over the next couple of years, grow upwards and not so much outwards... a size 4 shirt pretty much fits a size 6 kid in the shoulders, but not in torso or sleeve length (depending, obviously, on the kid, the shirt, and the current phase of the moon).

Meghan- I strongly suspect that your 35lb DD with a longer torso than Holly's 5yo will see the too-narrow for the shoulder belt problem in the Monterey at this point, but the only way to know is to try her out in it. I... don't think it would help at all with 3-across, though.

christineka

Holly- someone on ksl has a brand new compass b570. I bet you could try the seat out. That way you wouldn't have to order it- and if you actually wanted to buy it, get it at a very good bargain. (It's down to $65 now.)

Holly

She seems to have a really short torso. What is her standing height? My 2.5yo DD is not quite as tall in the Radian, but would be on the same slots.

I think she was 42 inches tall at her 5 year old check up in July, but I don't remember exactly. I can try to measure her torso in a bit.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
She's under the second to top slots in the Radian???? Wow. I'd not even consider a booster for, like, ever. Maybe she can stay in that another two years and then you can get a Bubblebum or Lite Rider to fit in that car 3-across, unless you get a van or something.
It's nothing to do with age or maturity, it's just 'This is what fits in our car, this is what we'll use', like Bookmama kept her DS in a harness till 8 because that's all that fit in their 3-across, you know?

Holly

Holly- someone on ksl has a brand new compass b570. I bet you could try the seat out. That way you wouldn't have to order it- and if you actually wanted to buy it, get it at a very good bargain. (It's down to $65 now.)

Oh yeah, I remember that. I have seen it on there a few times. I don't know if they would let me try it without buying it first though, I don't think they would want it to be open if I end up not buying it. I kind of wanted to use swagbucks on it too, I should have racked up a ton by July.
They are down in PG, near-ish to my parents. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if they will let me try it the next time we go down there.

Kat_Momof3

I don't like the fit of it with her at all... the headrest is definitely too high, though that is how it had to be to have an acceptable belt fit on Ruthie when she tried it, too.

I'd like it closer to the neck... because if she falls asleep, leans, or were hit from the side, it could easily come off the shoulder.

She has SO much room in the Radian... I actually would love to see her stay in the Radian for a little bit longer... like until she's in the top slots... it would give her time to grow and maybe fit the Monterey a bit better, but also, she would have time to just plain get bigger.

Kat_Momof3

I am interested to hear what people think... Fiona turned 5 on Dec 1st, she is around the same weight.. maybe slightly lighter, but on the top slots of her radian.. and like seriously only has an inch maybe..

we are actually leaving for NH (trip has been post poned for weather but we are definitly going tomorrow) anyways DH was saying we should take the passat, but I have no way to 3 across it right now.. otherwise I would do it.. I toyed with the idea of using the high back turbobooster for Fiona.. so I could make it work, but with the weather not so hot I am not ok with it.

for the passat, what about using the Avenue, Radian, and a backless harmony literider?? would that not work for 3-across?

otherwise, perhaps the answer is a ride safer travel vest for Fiona in that car.

Holly

She's under the second to top slots in the Radian???? Wow. I'd not even consider a booster for, like, ever. Maybe she can stay in that another two years and then you can get a Bubblebum or Lite Rider to fit in that car 3-across, unless you get a van or something.
It's nothing to do with age or maturity, it's just 'This is what fits in our car, this is what we'll use', like Bookmama kept her DS in a harness till 8 because that's all that fit in their 3-across, you know?

We'll keep her in the radian if we have to, I'm glad she still fits so it's an option, but if we can find a booster that works for us I'd like to switch her since she is mature enough now and since it's what she wants.
It would also be nice to be able to use one of the radian's for ds to give him more leg room, but I don't want to buy a 3rd radian.
He is fine in the RA50 for now, but he's going to RF for at least another year, or longer and the appearance of more leg room makes me more comfortable.

Here he is in the RA50 about 2 weeks ago
December2010057.jpg

And today in the Radian

December2010365.jpg

monstah

We'll keep her in the radian if we have to, I'm glad she still fits so it's an option, but if we can find a booster that works for us I'd like to switch her since she is mature enough now and since it's what she wants.
It would also be nice to be able to use one of the radian's for ds to give him more leg room, but I don't want to buy a 3rd radian.
He is fine in the RA50 for now, but he's going to RF for at least another year, or longer and the appearance of more leg room makes me more comfortable.

I'd consider using the RN RF for Josh and using the RA50 for one of your DD's to keep the convenience of a front buckle. I am :eek: at how tiny her torso is! And holy heck, what I would give if DS had a torso like that..... I would put him back in a harness so fast his head would spin! This 3 across with a booster is going to be the death of me.

christineka

Oh yeah, I remember that. I have seen it on there a few times. I don't know if they would let me try it without buying it first though, I don't think they would want it to be open if I end up not buying it. I kind of wanted to use swagbucks on it too, I should have racked up a ton by July.
They are down in PG, near-ish to my parents. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if they will let me try it the next time we go down there.

Send an email. I thought the lady had the seat out before deciding she didn't want it. I had emailed to check that it was really a b570. I keep looking at it, but I have no need for the seat and obviously, it isn't something that people around here are interested in.

cookie123

I have to agree. A harness is much nicer than a booster in 3 across. Everytime I try to buckle the kids in I hurt myself. Granted I'm much older than you guys, but it IS a pain.

Holly

Man you know I'd just sell J's RA and the covers you have for it and give him dd's RN. Then, knowing dd wants a pink seat I'd grab a primrose RN for her and call it good. Buckling is kept easy breezy and she's happy cause it's pink.

That could work too, though if I did that, I'd probably have to get a 2nd pink cover. Abby would go nuts if Hannah had a pink seat and she didn't, and she could tell that the seats were the same (and one is not a booster, she knows she can't ride in a booster at all yet).

Send an email. I thought the lady had the seat out before deciding she didn't want it. I had emailed to check that it was really a b570. I keep looking at it, but I have no need for the seat and obviously, it isn't something that people around here are interested in.

Maybe she'll still have it the next time I go down that way, maybe she'll have even reduced the price again by then, she has reduced it once before.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC