Thinking ahead...

Mom2FiveGirls

We will be getting a van in several weeks (well 2-4 months from now...). I'm super excited. It won't be new, but it will be new to me. Right now we're considering a 2000-2001ish Honda Odyssey or a 2002-2003ish Dodge Grand Caravan or Chrysler Town and Country. I know I am going to likely need a new car seat or two in order to fit everyone. In the third row I'd like to put DD#1, DD#2, and DD#4...DD#1 in a backless booster (she's hoping to pass the 5 step test in whatever vehicle we get, but we'll see...), DD#2 in a HBB or NBB...she's in a HBTB now, but if there is a headrest, I'm on with her in a backless, and DD#4 will likely need a new seat. She has a nautilus now and I just don't see it fitting with 2 boosters beside it. How do the harness slots on the radian compare to the nautilus (she is rather short-torsoed)? Will a radian even install in the center of the third row of the vans we're considering? How about the CA? Would it likely fit FFIng back there between the boosters and how do the harness slots compare? I'm actually more excited about getting to buy a new car seat than I am about buying a new vehicle! lol :)

ADS

Mommy0608

How exciting! :) How about a Maestro? It has taller slots than the CA and Radian and is rather narrow. How much does she weigh?

I don't know about those particular seats in that vehicle, sorry. Just wanted to mention the possibility of the Maestro.

Mom2FiveGirls

She weighs 39-40 lbs fully clothed. She is on the third slots of the nautilus, but she has at least an inch before she is even with those.

Mommy0608

I don't know how many slots the Nautilus has... is it 4? If that's the case, she'd likely have plenty of room in the Maestro. The top slots on the Maestro are only about 1/2" shorter than the top slots of the Nautilus. Might at least be worth a try if you can find it in a store. :)

Kat_Momof3

okay... for the widest third row, RUN from the Hondas... and make sure you get the GRAND caravan (not regular) or that the town and country is based off the GRAND, not regular caravan.

then, the key is just having a Radian... always a radian... center of the back seat... you can put two narrow boosters on either side of it no problem... unfortunately, depending on the year and the buckles, harmony literiders may be out... (my 2005 caravan has the longer buckle stalks that make for a horrid fit with the harmony literider)... BUT... the cosco backless boosters fit back there like a DREAM... especially with Radians.

When I had to fit 5 kids in my 2005 Caravan with mostly boosters, this is what I did...

3rd row - Old style parkway, Radian, Cosco Backless
2nd row - safety 1st Prospect backless booster and Radian

I'd likely put Alyssa, Makaela, and Lillian in the 3rd row (with Lillian in the Radian)

and the other two girls in the 2nd row...
and since the two oldest will be in the thrid row, they an help their sister ensure she's buckled properly and snug.

I do think the CA MIGHT work, too... but no guarantee.

down the line - when Lillian outgrows whatever harnessed seat you put in the third row for her, you can turn Ella ff at that time (figure in another year or so) and put her back there... and have another highback booster in the 2nd row for Lillian at that time.

ALSO... I would not expect your oldest to pass the 5-step, especially in the third row, until she's well past 4'9" and over 100lbs, because of the design of the shoulderbelt... Damian didn't fit back in the third row well until he was almost 5' tall and about 110, when he'd passed in the 2nd row right at 4'9" and 100lbs.

Mom2FiveGirls

okay... for the widest third row, RUN from the Hondas... and make sure you get the GRAND caravan (not regular) or that the town and country is based off the GRAND, not regular caravan.

then, the key is just having a Radian... always a radian... center of the back seat... you can put two narrow boosters on either side of it no problem... unfortunately, depending on the year and the buckles, harmony literiders may be out... (my 2005 caravan has the longer buckle stalks that make for a horrid fit with the harmony literider)... BUT... the cosco backless boosters fit back there like a DREAM... especially with Radians.

When I had to fit 5 kids in my 2005 Caravan with mostly boosters, this is what I did...

3rd row - Old style parkway, Radian, Cosco Backless
2nd row - safety 1st Prospect backless booster and Radian

I'd likely put Alyssa, Makaela, and Lillian in the 3rd row (with Lillian in the Radian)

and the other two girls in the 2nd row...
and since the two oldest will be in the thrid row, they an help their sister ensure she's buckled properly and snug.

I do think the CA MIGHT work, too... but no guarantee.

down the line - when Lillian outgrows whatever harnessed seat you put in the third row for her, you can turn Ella ff at that time (figure in another year or so) and put her back there... and have another highback booster in the 2nd row for Lillian at that time.

ALSO... I would not expect your oldest to pass the 5-step, especially in the third row, until she's well past 4'9" and over 100lbs, because of the design of the shoulderbelt... Damian didn't fit back in the third row well until he was almost 5' tall and about 110, when he'd passed in the 2nd row right at 4'9" and 100lbs.

Thanks! I kinda figured I'd likely need a radian. From what I've seen I like the grand caravan or town and country better than the odyssey anyway. DH prefers the odyssey, but said it was my van and my decision so it was up to me. The seating arrangement you suggested is how they are at the moment in our excursion...Sydney, Lillian, and Makaela in the third row and Alyssa and Ella in the second. Alyssa is awesome about helping Ella get buckled and making sure she's tight. :) I told her not to get her hopes up about passing the 5 step test yet. She's around 4'8'' and just under 80 lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC