Harness or no harness

Sara80

Good morning!

I'm new to this forum and I'm fascinated with all of the information here. I'm trying to decide if I should keep my 6yo twins in their Regents and buy a new seat for my 4 yo. Or if I should put my 4 yo in the Regent and get new boosters for my twins?

My twins still fit in the Regent with no problems and I like the harness for them. I think it's easier for them to buckle into than they can on boosters. Is there a certain weight/age/height when kids need to be in a booster with the carseat instead of the harness?

When do carseats expire?? I had no idea. :(

Thanks!

ADS

Keeanh

Welcome to the board!

If it were me, I would probably get a Maestro for the 4yo. Not because harnessing is necessarily better for 6yos, but because it's working for you and your 6yos like it and can do it themselves.

Check your manual for the expiry. There should be a date-of-manufacture sticker on your seats, and possibly the expiry date is on the seat too. I'm not familiar with the details of the Britax seats, sorry.

ETA: just checked the manual online. It's 6 years from the date of manufacture for the Regents. Other seats may be different.

What is your 4yo in now?

Also, have any of your seats been in a crash?

Sara80

Thanks. The more I read here...the more I realize how much I don't know about this! And to think my kids are 4 and 6! Yikes!

Sadly, my 4 yo is in a Graco Convertible carseat that we've had since 2005. I don't know the model, but it's time for a new one. He is a small 4 yo so I still want him in a harness.

Fortunately, none of these seats have been an accident.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's a Graco Comfortsport. Are your four year old's shoulders below the top slot? That's a very short seat.

By six most kids are fine in boosters. So I'd probably get boosters and pass down the Regents. But if you like your set up, I agree with the Maestro.

Wendy

Sara80

So I was wrong....my 4 yo is in the Evenflo Comfort Touch. It is also a shorter seat and he is just under the top slot. He calls it a baby seat and wants/needs a new one.

What booster with a latch system is recommended?

Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are very few boosters with LATCH. The Monterey, Parkway SGL, and Clek Oobr are the dedicated boosters with LATCH.

Comfort Touch is the padding level of the seat. Is it a Tribute or Titan or Triumph?

Wendy

Keeanh

Do you do any long drives? Do either of your 6yos still fall asleep in the car? I thought my 6yo was ready for a booster until he fell SOUND asleep in it and curled up like a baby with his thumb in his mouth, LOL. I didn't really consider that before I bought him the Monterey (which he uses perfectly around town, while he's awake).

Looking at cost, it may actually be cheaper to get a Maestro for 4yo and keep the 6yos in the Regents until they can use low back boosters. But that would depend on when the Regents expire, and when you're comfortable with the twins in low-backs.

If your twins are okay with being different from one another, you could get ONE high-back booster and pass down one Regent. That way the twins can take turns in the booster and see how they do and how they like it. It's quite possible that one is ready & will want to move, and one isn't ready or won't like it. And if the whole experiment is a flop and you end up buying something for the 4yo, you'll still be able to get full use out of that one high-back later with the 4yo (because by age 10, the earliest the booster will expire, he will be ready to inherit a low-back from the twins).

Do your twins have "spare" seats? It might be good to have a booster or two on hand anyways for when they need to ride in another vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC