I scored!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Tomorrow is spring cleaning trash pickup here - you put out anything you don't want and the city hauls it away to the dump. And, a bunch of people like myself and my neighbor cruise around together looking for treasure... :p

Well, we got THREE old carseats! Not sure what they are yet - it was dark and my neighbor got out and grabbed two for me. The one I looked at had a DOM of 1995 and was a shield seat (? - shield on the lower part of the harness). One of the other ones was from 1992, according to my neighbor.

We got some good stuff, too - an art easel for Nolan, a sandbox for her child, etc... :thumbsup:

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Awesome! We have that starting here too, but you have to take it to the designated areas, you can't just leave it out. Of course DH has to work a few Saturdays for it now so I'm stuck trying to find a babysitter for upcoming checks. I'll have him look for seats too. :)

JaRylan

Wow, you did get lucky! ;) I'm looking forward to hitting some yard sales soon. Tomorrow is a used clothing sale at one of the schools, not sure if I'll find any seats there or not.

Erika Ruth

I am new here, and I really don't know much about these things, but do people REALLY use these old seats if they find them? My friend who is super frugal always buys old Britax seats at Garage sales and Craigs List, so I guess the answer is yes, but I could NOT imagine buying a used seat from someone I didn't know very well. (I didn't know about the harness washing thing before you all posted about it).

Erika

JaRylan

I am new here, and I really don't know much about these things, but do people REALLY use these old seats if they find them? My friend who is super frugal always buys old Britax seats at Garage sales and Craigs List, so I guess the answer is yes, but I could NOT imagine buying a used seat from someone I didn't know very well. (I didn't know about the harness washing thing before you all posted about it).

Erika

Erika,
Oops, noone here would use a used seat that they found on the side of the road or bought at a garage sale or didn't know the complete history of. But what do people do with expired or second-hand seats?

- training purposes for CPST classes, having a variety of seats gives people the chance to practice installing a full range of seat models

- anger management, find a old seat, cut the straps and cover, proceed to destroy the car seat using whatever method relieves the most stress

- ensure that as many dangerous, expired, unknown history seats are permanently taken out of circulation as possible

I hope you find an expired seat of your own someday soon and when you do, have fun! Welcome to the forum.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Okay, here are the carseats:

1995 Century (shield on the bottom of the harness - also has 1985 stamped in the plastic of the seat? 1995 is what's on the straps, so hard to tell when it was manufactured.)

1996 Century

2001 Graco (and this one looked older than the rest! The straps are awful, the cover looks like rats have been chewing on it... :eek: )

Not sure where my friend got "1992" from - but it was dark so I guess she couldn't read it correctly.

We'll have a carseat bash someday. :thumbsup:

JaRylan

Okay, here are the carseats:

1995 Century (shield on the bottom of the harness - also has 1985 stamped in the plastic of the seat? 1995 is what's on the straps, so hard to tell when it was manufactured.)

1996 Century

2001 Graco (and this one looked older than the rest! The straps are awful, the cover looks like rats have been chewing on it... :eek: )

Not sure where my friend got "1992" from - but it was dark so I guess she couldn't read it correctly.

We'll have a carseat bash someday. :thumbsup:

Make a video and post it on youtube!!!

flipper68

Senior Community Member

Erika

Definitely! Many people have no concept of the SAFETY (or expiration/recall issues) involved in car seat use. They think, a car seat is a car seat. Buckle it in the car, buckle the child in the seat and you're done.

Many believe if they can get something that costs $100 for $25, they've gotten a great bargain without realizing they may be risking their child's safety.

The "infamous" Ann King (see NE Techs/Safe Kids), tells the story of why her SK coalition now destroys seats: They used to write on them with Sharpies: "Expired. Do not Use. Recalled." etc. until one came BACK through a check up event. (Some one had dumpster dived and taken one of the confiscated seats and used it. Granted, the person could have just been scamming for a free seat, but. . .)

TheRealMacGyver

Cool. I'm a garbage-picker from way back:D My wife can't stand it, she makes me take her home and then I have to come back alone to take someone's trash! I'm always hoping someone else doesn't move in during that time! I could write about 5 pages of the things I've garbage picked. You'd be surprised at some of the nice stuff people throw away. In fact, tonight's garbage night, I think I'll scope out the neighborhood for goodies. The rich neighborhoods are the best, they throw away all sorts of good stuff. Sometimes they even throw them away in the original box (you have to watch for this). Happy hunting.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC