Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Replace these crashed seats? How to navigate Canadian insurance?

An acquaintance on another forum was in an 80 kph front end vs concrete barrier glancing collision with a concrete barrier. Her seats (a cosco alpha omega and an unknown infant carrier) were installed but unoccupied during the collision.

She was told to contact her local paramedics, who told her that she could "waste her money if she wanted to, but the seats didn't need to be replaced."

I couldn't find the manual online to check this, and I have no clue what to tell her about her insurance.

Anybody got a better clue than me?
    Dana, mama to Amanda, Bethany, Christina and Daniel and newborn Elizabeth

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Replace these crashed seats? How to navigate Canadian insurance?

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...-tips-1090.htm

When to replace a child seat
    •Always replace a child seat that was in a car that had a crash. Even if your child wasn’t in the child seat when the crash happened, the child seat could be damaged.

I wrote to my ins. co after a relatively low velocity rear-ender (I was the third car up front, had $1K damage to my van's bumper). My letter quoted from the TC website. I also told them I was a tech and sent them a copy of my certification. I had a cheque in a couple of days. It cost almost as much to replace my seats as it did to fix the van.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Carseat Crazy

Re: Replace these crashed seats? How to navigate Canadian insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...-tips-1090.htm

When to replace a child seat
    •Always replace a child seat that was in a car that had a crash. Even if your child wasn’t in the child seat when the crash happened, the child seat could be damaged.

I wrote to my ins. co after a relatively low velocity rear-ender (I was the third car up front, had $1K damage to my van's bumper). My letter quoted from the TC website. I also told them I was a tech and sent them a copy of my certification. I had a cheque in a couple of days. It cost almost as much to replace my seats as it did to fix the van.
    Thanks, I couldn't find anything with a cursory search.
    Dana, mama to Amanda, Bethany, Christina and Daniel and newborn Elizabeth