Any crash test videos of LOOSE harness straps and installations???

MsFacetious

I need something to convince my SIL that she actually has to tighten the carseat when she installs it...that simply hooking up the LATCH anchors is not sufficient... any videos on what happens in an accident when the carseat is too LOOSE?

Also looking for videos of what happens if the harness straps are too loose. To convince her that just strapping her in is not good enough...she actually has to tighten the straps as well.

Thanks in advance.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I don't think anyone has spent the $ on a crash test to see what happens with loose harness straps -- but there may be news articles or maybe even legal documents about real children who've suffered fatal injury because of it.

There are 3 phases to a crash:
1. vehicle impacts some object (another vehicle, a wall, a tree, etc.)
2. occupants impact vehicle interior (body crashes into seatbelt or dashboard or windows, etc.)
3. internal organs impact skeletal frame (brain into skull, etc.)

Sooooo ... the more space between the child & the harness the higher the risk of impacting the vehicle interior (greater risk of severe injury) or even ejection (about 4 times the risk of death) -- carseats only meet the federal safety standards of less than 32" head excursion untethered or 28" tethered when the harness is used properly (TIGHT) & it's not the forward movement itself which causes injury, it is impacting the vehicle interior that causes injury.

You may have good luck with finding videos or articles/documents over at the CPSPList :confused:

Last edited:

MsFacetious

Thanks that explanation will hopefully help.

Hey do you have any tips for kids who have sensory issues which won't allow the harness straps to be tight?? It was brought up on another thread so I thought I'd ask you.

Thanks!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I need something to convince my SIL that she actually has to tighten the carseat when she installs it...that simply hooking up the LATCH anchors is not sufficient... any videos on what happens in an accident when the carseat is too LOOSE?

Also looking for videos of what happens if the harness straps are too loose. To convince her that just strapping her in is not good enough...she actually has to tighten the straps as well.

Thanks in advance.

Some old 'news' show, like Inside Edition, did a report on this, but just before the internet, so I saw it on VHS in my tech class and it was pretty old...but they paid for the crash tests of a loose seat versus a tight seat, and it was *dramatic*.

I think people think that 'well, my seatbelt is 'loose' but it will hold ME in, so my carseat must be the same way', but you have to kind of explain that there's a huge locking retractor in the sidewall of your car that will work in a crash (www.howstuffworks.com has a great seatbelt section), while a harness or LATCH is not going to get tighter...instead of riding with the body, like a seatbelt does, it is in 'front' of the body, and the body will slam into it in a crash (I use my forearm diagonally across my chest to demonstrate it...grab your left shoulder with your right hand and 'crash' forward with it like a seatbelt, then hold your hand away from your shoulder and 'slam' into it).

Anyway, one of my classmates had lost his son because he though you could just buckle the seat in...when he saw the police report that his kid had died of massive head injuries because there was no locking clip on the ELR seat, he made it his life's mission to educate people... just interesting... I think that article CRS posted will be more helpful, though :thumbsup:

Suzibeck

Anyway, one of my classmates had lost his son because he though you could just buckle the seat in...when he saw the police report that his kid had died of massive head injuries because there was no locking clip on the ELR seat, he made it his life's mission to educate people... just interesting... I think that article CRS posted will be more helpful, though :thumbsup:

Someone needs to do a documentary talking to people like this, and ones who used a booster too soon, had a young ffing child killed or injured, things like that. If I had the videography skills to do this I would. It could make such an impact on people!

MsFacetious

There is one of a loose harness.

www.childrestraints.co.nz go to carseat page, then links, then videos are right there. Poorly fitted harness.

I also think I found some of a loose seatbelt...at least I HOPE they are!

RF convertible I think..... THIS is what I need to show my SIL.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LrlmTo7Sqy0

Jane Matrix Pro infant seat... not exactly what I was looking for but very odd.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WdBRPiNJC7s

FF seat

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u7Ca-pehs34

And omg some of the other ones I found are sickening! I might make a seperate post for all of them.

mak101376

I wanted to suggest showing her regular crash tests so she can see just how much the straps and child move when they ARE in tight. I was pretty surprised when I first saw them, I had not known how much straps/seatbelts stretch. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if the straps/belts are not tight, yikes!

MsFacetious

I know and if you go to my blog, current events link on my website.. you will see how adorable my niece is... the thought of them being in an accident terrifies me. I just hope that I can get my point across first... we will see.

We are going to Sesame Street Live this weekend :) So we won't see them this weekend but we will see them in May. :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Regarding sensory issues....

With children who have sensory issues, they (OT) frequently do joint
pressure work or brushing. This helps the children get adjusted to touch on
very sensitive skin. A vest and harness system for the older children can
work, if it is introduced slowly. Make sure no tags are close to the skin.
They can get used to wearing the vests around the house or school first.
That is also how we introduced any new carseat to our child who has sensory
intregation issues. Introduce anything new in a non-threatening surrounding
for them to get used to it. On the other hand, let the children try a
variety of seats to try and find one that is comfortable. As we all know,
there are difference in straps, hugs, seat fabric surfaces, wings,etc.
From a CPSTI / Clinical Nurse Leader / parent of son with APD, ADD, and sensory issues

lovinwaves

Links > "Poorly fitted harness"
( http://tinyurl.com/3bbp8e )

This video PERFECTLY shows the three phases of the Car Crash:

There are 3 phases to a crash:
1. vehicle impacts some object (another vehicle, a wall, a tree, etc.)
2. occupants impact vehicle interior (body crashes into seatbelt or dashboard or windows, etc.)
3. internal organs impact skeletal frame (brain into skull, etc.)

Thank you Tiffany so much for this information: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC