RF in a Marathon over the RF limit?

SuperSafeMama

My son is 3.5 and is RF in a Marathon. He just weighted 38 lbs :( He is in NO WAY ready to be FF. He has mild Autism and he at the door handle, and messes with the window button.

I can lock both, but he has torn the plastic off of the car interior etc. I *could* put him in the middle, but if I do then he hits my DD, pulls her hair etc :( So I really, really need the empty space between them.

We are in a car. Forking out $300 for a new seat is not an option at this point.

Is there any harm in leaving him RF since he is over the weight? Didnt someone say that the Scena with the 40 lbs limit is exactly the same body as the "old" one? I do have a Scena, but I just wonder if the Marathon is the same way?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yes, there could be great harm in RFing him over the weight limit. The seat could fail. It is definitely not a super-safe choice.

We do not know if the 40# RFing Scenera is the same shell as the 35# RFing Scenera. We do know that when the Marathon increased from 35#RFing to 40#RFing, it became a completely different seat.

You don't need to spend $300 to get a new RFing seat. If he fits by height, you can get a 40#RFing Scenera for $50 from Target. You can also get a Complete Air for $175 or a MyRide for $130.

Kat_Momof3

I'd also throw in the Onside Air.... normally 99.99, but you can get it at BRU/TRU for 59.99 -http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4232167

however, I realize this will only get you another 2lbs... so you need to figure out what you are going to do when he has to be forward facing... because that is something that WILL happen.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
As Kat pointed out - you really need to think about what your long term strategy is going to be. He's too heavy to be RF in the seat he has now and any seat with a 40 lb RF limit will likely only buy you a few more months. You made it clear that another expensive seat (ie, a Radian XTSL) isn't an option right now. If the only issue is his access to door handles and power window buttons, perhaps an after-market DVD player (placed out of his reach) when he's FF will be enough to keep him distracted. I'm not a fan of those things in general but it sure beats having the interior of your vehicle picked apart.

brittany

how long is his torso? If he is small enough a scenera may be a good option, but my 3/5yr old niece with a 12.5 inch torso is about to outgrow her scenera, she has oodles of room in her decathlon though (still rear facing)

I would be selling off stuff to get a radian though if you know it will fit in your car. Or what about a complete air? Those are only 150ish i think

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC