Sort of OT: AT&T Texting and Driving documentary

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I just saw this on Good Morning America and found it on the AT&T site. I'm really pleased that someone's trying to do something about the millions of crashes that texting while driving causes in the US. http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=2964 (I can't find it on youtube, even though it's there, I can only find the short ads AT&T has posted recently on TV, I'm sure someone more tech-savvy than I will post it :D)
GMA said they are going to show it in high schools as a free public service, which I think is pretty cool.

ADS

HEVY

Nothing like having a cry while eating breakfast :(

That was so sad, I hope it gets through to people.

Thanks for posting.

littleangelfire

Thanks for posting this. It's going on my Facebook. I still can't ever forget that 2 moms were actually bragging at a Christmas party a couple years ago about how good they were at texting and driving. MOMS!! Moms old enough to definitely know better. Moms driving with 2 kids each in their cars. And they seemed to think I was a total dork for thinking it was unsafe. What's really sad? Even if *I* never do such a thing, I've still got a problem b/c they live here and they are. Well, that was 2 years ago, here's hoping they don't anymore. But there's plenty of others who do. I liked when Oprah did something on it and actually put people to the test. People who thought they were good at multitasking and could handle driving and texting.

And they all miserably failed.

As an aside - I found it very sad that one of the friends of Mariah at the beginning seemed to really think Mariah was completely focused on two conversations at once. Nope. Sorry. I'm queen of multitasking, but even I am realistic enough to admit that if I am doing 2 things (or more!) at one time, none of them is receiving my complete rapt attention. And for a lot of things, that's ok. It really won't hurt the laundry's feelings if I am also talking to someone at the same time. And for a lot of conversations, it's probably OK, but the total delusion that you've got someone's complete attention when they're also carrying on an avid texting conversation with someone else is sad and very evident of how time pressed and attention-challenged we have all gotten, that #1 a friend doesn't think she deserves her friends attention. Now I've got no problem with my friend tending her kids while we talk, but to have a conversation with someone else via phone or text or internet? How RUDE! and #2 to be misguided to think she is getting the friend's attention.

But that's my side social commentary on that. Hopefully this video will hit closer to home b/c we live in the KC Metro area - so seeing a Missouri cop is closer to home than say, a NYC cop.

veggiegirl228

Yes, thank you for sharing. While I don't text at all. I'm sharing on FB and on another forum to spread the word. Didn't Oprah do a show that showed how distracted one is while texting awhile back?

hboo22

That was sad, but really hit the point. I also put it on my FB. They need to show this in every high school!!

Baylor

Thanks for posting this.. It is a really good reminder of what can happen not only to you but to another mother, son, father, daughter if you make this choice..

monstah

I posted to Facebook with the following message:
Every once in a while someone reminds me how dangerous it is to text and drive so I try not to. I am embarrased to admit that somehow my cell always finds its way back into my hand even though I know it's dangerous. For 2011, I am making a New Years resolution... no make that a vow and a promise, to have ZERO cell phone use this coming year. So please, hold me to it if you think I'm driving!!
And BEST WISHES for a wonderful New Year to all my friends! <3

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Illegal in my state to do so as well...
Illegal to use a cell for texting or talking here as well. Unfortunately that doesn't stop people at all. It's crazy how many people I see texting while at a red light, holding their phone low because no one could possibly see them texting that way...:rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC