Way OT.....egg free cake

Amaris

I'm making an egg free cake for Michaels birthday party tomorrow, and I've got a question. I've done this for several years now, but the cake always sticks to the pan. I grease and flour the pan very well, but it sticks anyway!! I've thought about using wax paper but since I use round pans I'm afraid it will crinkle at the edges!! Has anyone done an egg free cake that didn't stick to the pan?? How??

ADS

JaRylan

A friend of mine just made an egg-free cake for her little boy. I just finished asking her for the recipe and came here and saw your thread, lol. I'll ask her if it stuck to the pan and I'll post her recipe as well (though it might be too free of some things for what you need).

I found a really neat looking cake recipe, that would be Landon safe. Anyway, today after I cleaned my oven from the fire I had a few days ago I made this cake. I thought I should test it out before his birthday just to make sure it wasn't really gross.

So we just tried it, and wow I'm amazed. This cake has no milk, eggs, yeast, anything that he can't have. And for icing I just put on icing sugar.

He tried it and than said, "Thnx mommy this is da-wish-ish"

"Can I have this for my Buzz Lightyear Birthday?"

And with every bite he kept asking me to watch him chew... hehe

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
My first thought is, do you let the cake cool before trying to remove it from the pan? If you do, it will pull away from the edges on its own.

musicmaj

Wow. I didn't know you could make egg free cake. My littlest was just diagnosed with milk, soy, egg, and peanut allery. Does this recipe have any of that in it. Can I use rice milk instead of milk in a cake recipe?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Mine never come out right w/ just using egg replacer, so I use this recipe for all my birthday cakes (since those count more, lol). It's very dense and great for character pans. I love it! Yes, you can use rice milk in the place of anything for the most part. This one is dairy, soy, egg, and should be nut free (the only problem would be cross contamination issues).

Westporter Pudding Cake

1 box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Classic Yellow cake (this only contains wheat)
1 box (3.4oz) Jello Instant Pudding Mix, French Vanilla or Vanilla Flavor (without the pudding mix, the cake will be too crumbly)
1 ½ cups ginger ale (can be room temp or cold)
1/3 cup vegetable oil 1 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons flour

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease either round pans or 13 x 9 pan. I use Bakers Joy spray or Crisco w/flour.
2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. With a handheld mixer, beat for minutes until creamy.
3. Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 40 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes in pan on wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely before serving.

Last edited:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
INGREDIENTS:

* 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
* 1 cup sugar
* 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (or leave it out for white cake)
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 teaspoon vinegar
* 5 tablespoons canola oil
* 1 cup cold water

PREPARATION:
In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt. Make three wells in the flour mixture. In one put vanilla; in another the vinegar, and in the third the oil. Pour the cold water over the mixture and stir until moistened.
Sponsored Links

Pour into 8 x 8-inch pan. Bake at 350°F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it springs back when touched lightly.

Coconut Cream Frosting

INGREDIENTS:

3 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup Nucoa Margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons coconut milk
FOR CHOCOLATE FROSTING ADD 1/4C Cocoa

PREPARATION:

Put all shortening, margarine & vanilla extract in bowl & blend. Add confectioners sugar and mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.

Add coconut milk and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more coconut milk if needed for spreading consistency.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I've used rice milk in a cake recipe. I don't have to worry about egg (my DD is allergic to dairy, soy & corn), but I hung out for a long time on POFAK (before they started charging to use their site), and there are a number of cake recipes for just about any allergy combination.

Check out the Food Lab list. I bet they can help you, too.

tech_raechel

Senior Community Member
I'm making an egg free cake for Michaels birthday party tomorrow, and I've got a question. I've done this for several years now, but the cake always sticks to the pan. I grease and flour the pan very well, but it sticks anyway!! I've thought about using wax paper but since I use round pans I'm afraid it will crinkle at the edges!! Has anyone done an egg free cake that didn't stick to the pan?? How??

And just fyi as far as the paper goes - when I make cakes, I grease the pan, then put in parchment or wax paper (cut to size by tracing around the outside of the pan & then cutting it just inside the line; don't worry about papering the sides of the pan), then grease & flour over the paper (I use the spray w/ flour).

Sounds like you got some great recipes, though, and might not need this trick.

tl01

We used unflavored gelatin. Use three teaspoons of the gelatin (mixed with warm water) per egg. We did this for DS's b-day and we sparyed the pan with Pam and had no problem.

JaRylan

A little late but here is the recipe from my friend. It is milk, egg and yeast free and she switched out the cider vinegar to lemon juice because he is allergic to apples as well. She is always interested to talk/email with anyone else that has food allergy kids. Let me know and I can hook you up, lol.

No he can't have any kind of berries. But I'm happy with how it turned out. He doesn't need icing, and was happy with the powder sugar. I took a short video of him say that the cake was da-wish-ish... just cause it sounded so cute. I'll see if I can post it later.

Here's the recipe
INGREDIENTS

· 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

· 1 cup white sugar

· 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

· 1 teaspoon baking soda

· 1/2 teaspoon salt

· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

· 1 tablespoon cider vinegar

· 6 tablespoons vegetable oil

· 1 cup water
DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, and cocoa together into an 8x8 inch ungreased cake pan. Make three depressions. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well. Pour water over all, and stir well with fork.

3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Frost with your favorite icing.

I used lemon juice rather than the cider vinegar, and I think that the next time I make it I'll only use 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder. Oh, and if anyone uses this cake to make it milk free... you need to make sure you get the real cocoa powder, not the no name stuff as it does have milk powder in it.

musicmaj

Wow, thanks for all the recipes. I can't wait to try some. I am getting frustrated trying to figure out what to feed Ryan. I guess I need to do some research on the net to find some recipes. He is the only one in my family that has food allergies. He wasn't growing because of them, but he gained 1.5 lbs in the last month since I know what he is allergic to now and he isn't eating any of it.

Jimaie(mom2boys)

Have you guys ever tried making a Diet Coke cake?? You can do Diet Coke Brownies too!

I had a friend who was on Weight Watchers and made it and it was actually REALLY good, SUPER moist too!! you should try it!! To me it was actually more moist than using eggs and oil!
'
You just take a boxed cake mix and mix it with a can of diet coke. cook as directions say. seriously try it. We usually do choc cake mix but i've heard you can do cherry cake with cherry coke too. I've never done white cake BUT i read that white cake works best with Diet Sprite!!

Heres a link about it :D

http://baloo.vox.com/library/post/diet-coke-cake.html

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Have you guys ever tried making a Diet Coke cake?? You can do Diet Coke Brownies too!

I had a friend who was on Weight Watchers and made it and it was actually REALLY good, SUPER moist too!! you should try it!! To me it was actually more moist than using eggs and oil!
'
You just take a boxed cake mix and mix it with a can of diet coke. cook as directions say. seriously try it. We usually do choc cake mix but i've heard you can do cherry cake with cherry coke too. I've never done white cake BUT i read that white cake works best with Diet Sprite!!

Heres a link about it :D

http://baloo.vox.com/library/post/diet-coke-cake.html

Oh wow, that sounds like Tastefully Simple beer bread, but better :D Ginger Ale in ginger cake!!! Yum!

JaRylan

Wow, thanks for all the recipes. I can't wait to try some. I am getting frustrated trying to figure out what to feed Ryan. I guess I need to do some research on the net to find some recipes. He is the only one in my family that has food allergies. He wasn't growing because of them, but he gained 1.5 lbs in the last month since I know what he is allergic to now and he isn't eating any of it.

What all does Ryan have for allergies?

musicmaj

Soy, peanuts, milk, egg whites, and I think peaches. I was feeding him some the other day and he broke out in hives all over his face. We just had him blood tested last month when he got diagnosed with failure to thrive. I knew he was allergic to milk and peanuts, but had no idea about the others. Now that I am not feeding him any of those foods he is starting to gain weight and grow! He gained 1.5 lbs this month! Now he is up to 20lbs.

Amaris

Ok, I baked the cake and cut wax paper to fit the bottom of the pan, and it came out in one piece!! I've never had a problem with it sticking to the sides, just the bottom. We had done the cake with vinegar in it for previous years, but I got a new recipe and thought we would give this a try. It came from General Mills (I called them to ask about something and when the lady found out that my ds was allergic to eggs they sent me a bunch of egg free recipes). Here's the one we used, but I'll edit it at the bottom as the mixing directions don't work out so well:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 2tbl cocoa
3 tbl shortening, melted
1 2/3 cups cake flour or 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1tsp baking soda
1tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour square cake pan, 9x9x2 inches. Mix sugar, cocoa, and shortening in meduim bowl. Mix flour, baking soda, and salt; add alternately to sugar mixture with buttermilk and vanilla. Pour into pan, bake about 30 minutes.

I changed a few things though. I used butter instead of shortening. Also, I used round pans and put the wax paper on the bottom. The melted shortening or butter isn't enough liquid to mix with the sugar and cocoa, you will end up with lumps of it, I tried that way first. I ended up mixing all the liquids in one bowl and everything else in another, then mixing them together. Personally I think this recipe is a bit more moist than the ones using vinegar. Thanks everyone for the tips......Michael loved his birthday cake!! Also, for decorating it I use cake stencils and make a different colored frosting, or use sprinkles!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC