boostering question

flutie128

Ok, so DS was occasionally slouching in his booster today on our drive to ocean city. It was about a 4-5 hour drive since it was snowing. His normal seat in a nautilus but the chest clip is broke so a booster was the only option. The booster he rode in is a first years b570. Was his slouching because he was just tired and not used to sitting in a booster full time? He rides around town in a booster with DH, my MIL, my mom, my babysitter and anyone else that drives him. He rides in the nautilus with me and the van that is the trip car. He has also most outgrown the harness in the nautilus so I don't know what to do. Should I try to get him a frontier85 or is it just practice that he needs in a booster? He is 6.5, 52 pounds the last time I weighed him and about 48 inches tall.

ADS

christineka

It's hard to say. My ds has flopped from booster to harness and back since he was 4.5 years old. I finally settled to just keep him in the regent for a long time when I decided to give the regent away. My ds is 7, close to 8. I have him in the britax bodyguard with those belt lockoffs. I love them, but tomorrow we will take two, long drives (there and back) and so I will see how ds does. I may put that regent back in the van and not donate it at all.

I would plan to allow your ds to move to a booster after the nautilus is outgrown. Have the backup harness purchase in place just in case.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The b 570 has guides to help keep the lap belt in place. Even when he was slouching, was the lap belt still in place? If ti was, it's probably okay. The problem is when slouching leads to poor fit.

Kat_Momof3

do his knees bend easily over the edge of the booster?? if not, that could be why he was slouching.

otherwise, maybe his legs were going numb... a light footstool would help.

bubbaray

At age 6.5, unless there were special needs involved, I wouldn't buy a FR. I'd try him out in some other boosters and aim for a better fit. You could also try locking the belt. FWIW, my DD#1 (age 6.5) sleeps in her Monterey on 5+ hour road trips and never slouches.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, I too would try out different boosters and see what fits in a way that allows him to be comfortable enough to sleep without slouching.

flutie128

I honestly don't remember about where the lap belt was when he was slouching. I just more focused on helping DH drive in the snowy conditions. He also has the turbo booster which when the back stays up works well too. I brought the b570 because it was easier to get to. I have 99% sure his knees bend after the booster ends. I think part of the problem was that he is not use to having to sit up since on long trips he is harnessed which keeps him in place.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC