Do I need to replace my Safeseat???

super_grape

It's too late to call Graco so I'm wondering what you all think...

We were in a little wreck today (could have been much worse but thank goodness we're all okay). A truck moved over from the turn lane as we were pulling out to make a left turn onto a pretty busy road and he clipped the passenger side front of the car...tore off the headlight, part of the bumper,
put a big crack on that side of the windshield and the front passenger side door won't open. It was really scary because it was soooo busy and cars were just flying everywhere. DH and I were pretty rattled but the girls didn't seem to notice except that Katie was a little miffed ("Why did that MAN hit MY car! I need to tell him that's NOT NICE!"). The baby slept thru the whole thing.

The airbags didn't go off and we can still drive it so I am wondering if I still should replace the Safeseat...I'm thinking the Roundabout is ok right?
Thanks!

ADS

super_grape

You're right- I just checked the manual and it says to replace after
ANY accident.
Well, I know what I'm doing tomorrow:) .....

Last edited by a moderator:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Glad you are all ok!

I would replace it. It sounds as if it was pretty serious and I would consider replacing all the seats especially if the other person insurance is paying for it.

super_grape

Really, both seats? Hmmmm....well, I guess I'll call Britax on Monday
and see what they say. I had already ordered new seats from Dana
but they just shipped from Britax to her so I hope it's ok to use the RA
because they won't be here for at LEAST a week.

It was scary and we are soooooooo fortunate that it wasn't worse, I was a bit surprised with myself tho - DH was panicking and somehow I managed
to remain calm and clearheaded....usually it's the opposite with us:rolleyes: .

The other guy was driving a little crazy and moved over into our lane as we were pulling out but technically it was our fault because he had the right of
way so our insurance will be paying for it:(.

Thanks everyone!

southpawboston

i would wait to hear what britax tells you. if they thought there was *any* real risk of using their seats after minor accidents as defined by their checklist, they wouldn't have the policy they have... they'd do what every other mfr does and just say to replace it. it's no skin off of the company's back to make a blanket statement like that, it just protects them the most from potential liability. britax at least does the honorable thing and allows for an assessment of the likely potential for seat damage, and lets you keep the carseat if the assessment is good. i am sure that britax's checklist is pretty conservative, otherwise they wouldn't even have that policy simply for CYA reasons.

tiggercat

So glad you're all ok, Holly. I can so see Katie telling the man that hitting the car wasn't nice.

I'd replace the Safeseat for sure, I'm not sure about the RA. Since the windshield and door are damaged, I would probably replace it to be safe. Is there any damage to the frame around the door is the body just buckled enough to stop it from opening?

Natalie

tiggercat

Really, both seats? Hmmmm....well, I guess I'll call Britax on Monday
and see what they say. I had already ordered new seats from Dana
but they just shipped from Britax to her so I hope it's ok to use the RA
because they won't be here for at LEAST a week.

I can loan you the Scenera again if you need it, it's just sitting here. Or the Husky for Katie. LOL!

super_grape

Hi Natalie!
I don't think there's damage to the frame but I guess we'll find out tomorrow,
we take it in to be checked out by Allstate.
Thank you for offering your seats but we're in Charlotte, NC...not close enuf to meet up at Starbucks:D! We're house hunting..sooooo much fun:rolleyes: .

The more I think about it the more I think I'll just replace, regardless of what they say, like you all suggested. Just to be on the safe side and it's one less thing to worry about:p !

tiggercat

Ah, I never know where you might be at any given time. ;-)

I think if it's in doubt, it is certainly better to replace. That way you know she's safe.

You could maybe replace it with an uptown or something to use while you wait for your seats from Dana. That way you have a decent spare.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC