Seat belts on school buses?

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Is there a place where you can look up the laws by state?

I know in PA on the smaller buses are required to have seat belts installed, but I swear I saw on a listserve a few months back that the larger buses were going to be phased in in the coming years.

(This isn't a debate on whether or not it's necessary, but I was just trying to look to see what the actual law is)

ADS

asch884

I cant help you much but I know here in Wisconsin the school buses are exempt from all carseat law that are for cars. The small school buses have lap belts only and the 3 year old have to be in a carseat but that didn't work for my son who is to tall for all the carseats that the bus company had and wanted to put him in a booster which I refused to do. I ended up getting the bus company to buy him a ez on vest that latches to the school bus seat but it was horrible to get it approved

zactayaus

Can't help you with the law but I'm in NJ and our school district has seat belts on all the big buses. They've been there since at least when dd was in K (she's in 7th now). All the kids are taught how and expected to use them. The first few weeks of school an aid rides the bus to help LO's with buckling up.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you go to your state's attorney general's website or sometimes either the department of motor vehicles or department of transportation website for your state, they often have a link to the code and you can search it to find relevant laws.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC