Locking clip question...

cpsaddict

I was reading on another board and someone mentioned that when the locking clip is on the seat belt should be on the top of the middle bar. Does that make sense? I don't ever remember being told this in tech training. My instructor just said it had to be about 1" from the buckle. If this is the case, someone explain why it makes a difference if the seatbelt is over or under the middle bar.

I do them both ways and now I am wondering if I am wrong.

ADS

scatterbunny

My instructors said either way is fine, performance-wise.

I've heard two reasons why you should put the belts over the middle bar: one, it's easier to see if one section of belt is slipping loose; two, if/when the locking clip pops off in a crash, it won't go flying. I don't know how true that is, but it's what I've heard over the years. :)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
A friend of mine was taught that it mattered, but I was taught that it didn't.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It doesn't matter and in the curriculum, it actually shows it with the seat belt under the bar. But, like Jenny said, when the belt is over the bar, it's easier to see if the belt has slipped off one side as it sometimes does. I don't know how far the lc goes flying in a crash; I know that it can come off and we all know how tremendous the crash forces are, but I've never heard any anecdotal evidence of any injuries or other interior damages happening from a flying locking clip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC