Vent - Grrr!

mommy2jana

My sister is getting married tomorrow. My mom and sister think it is ok to put my dd (the flower girl) in the back of the SUV with my sister and ride from the hotel to the wedding site (approx. "a few blocks" according to them) with the hatch on the suv up!!!! I say: No. Way. In. Hell. They think I'm being irrational. I would much rather keep dd in her pre-wedding dress and take her in my vehicle strapped safely in her Marathon, and then slip her flower girl dress on her when we get there. My sister "has" to ride in the back of the SUV with the hatch up because of her dress, is what they tell me....but that is their choice...I don't like it, but she is an adult. I do, however, have control over my own daughter. I prefer to keep her nice and safe. Someone tell me I'm not being irrational - tell me I'm not crazy! My bridezilla sister may be able to have a say in what dress my dd wears, what shoes goes with it, and how her hair is done tomorrow, but they have NO RIGHT to try to "convince" me to let my dd ride unrestrained in the back of an SUV with the hatch up!!! And, they didn't even ask me....I overheard my sister telling my dd this...GRRR! :mad:

ADS

Erika Ruth

Umm Yeah... No...

Easy. No.

I am debating letting Eleanor ride in the Limo between the Reception Site and the Church.

She will come with the wedding party ONLY if I can get the Marathon in the Limo (if it is one with the back row with proper seat belts).

If not, she'll be riding with Grandma and Grandpa. :)

Erika

twom

You're definitely not irrational. She should absolutely be properly restrained at all times. Being in a wedding party does not make you immune from car accidents. Is your sister not being restrained at all, just sitting in the open back area? If everyone in the SUV is restrained, I can see at least letting your daughter ride in that vehicle in her MA, but if the bride is just sitting in the cargo area, you should definitely take her separately.

Good luck!
Jody

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Grrring right along with you. Better to ride properly restrained and arrive slightly wrinkled/rumpled than to risk not arriving safely. Hmmmm, wouldn't the wind/draft/heat/humidity (you're in a warmer state if I remember the Disney thread) from an open SUV hatch potentially mess up the bride's hairdo/veil/headpiece any way? ;) So sorry you're in this position.

mommy2jana

Yeah, the bride is riding unrestrained in the cargo area with her feet hanging out! The bridesmaids are riding in there, too...so there would be no room for the Marathon or Regent in there. My mother is driving - :rolleyes: Hence, the reason I rarely let dd ride with her - and I am always the one installing the seat and reminding her where the chest clip goes. Besides, its not like I'm going to leave dd at the hotel with them and go sit out at the wedding site and wait for the ceremony to begin...I'm going to be right there with her until right before she walks down the isle!!!

trailrunnermom

If your sister doesn't have kids yet (and I'm guessing she doesn't!), I can see where she might have thought that would be okay...BUT, from the perspective of one who has kids, I'm with you -- I'd drive DD myself. Hopefully, a matter-of-fact, calm statement that your child does not go in a vehicle unless it's in her carseat will make your sister understand that this is not negotiable. Good luck! Your DD will make a beautiful flower girl! :)

Jeanum

Staff member
Umm Yeah... No...

Easy. No.

I am debating letting Eleanor ride in the Limo between the Reception Site and the Church.

She will come with the wedding party ONLY if I can get the Marathon in the Limo (if it is one with the back row with proper seat belts).

If not, she'll be riding with Grandma and Grandpa. :)

Erika

If you think the other wedding party members will be riding unrestrained, it could factor into your decision to let your DD ride in the limo in her MA. Unbuckled limo riders could become human projectiles in a crash and endanger a properly restrained child, KWIM?

mommy2jana

Hmmmm, wouldn't the wind/draft/heat/humidity (you're in a warmer state if I remember the Disney thread) from an open SUV hatch potentially mess up the bride's hairdo/veil/headpiece any way? ;)

You are totally right - I'm literally going to LOL if she arrives all messed up!!! But, I guess a plus for her is that her hairdresser is coming to the wedding! lol

I just told my sister on the phone that the riding in the suv for dd is a no go. Guess, I'll hear the wrath of my mother this evening at rehearsal! I think that Jana's dress would be less wrinkled and rumpled if we waited and put it on when we got to the ceremony....there's no way it will fit in her carseat!!! It is almost an exact replica of my sister's dress.....just way smaller! Very "poufy" and "Cinderella"-like.

mommy2jana

If your sister doesn't have kids yet (and I'm guessing she doesn't!), I can see where she might have thought that would be okay...BUT, from the perspective of one who has kids, I'm with you -- I'd drive DD myself. Hopefully, a matter-of-fact, calm statement that your child does not go in a vehicle unless it's in her carseat will make your sister understand that this is not negotiable. Good luck! Your DD will make a beautiful flower girl! :)

You're right...she doesn't have children...my dd is her only neice and is my mom's ONLY grandchild - you'd think they'd be more protective of her! lol They both know how I feel about car safety. When I told my mom that I knew what booster seat I was going to get for dd - for an emergency situation where she would have to ride with my mother unexpectedly - my mom freaked and said, but I thought you were going to keep her harnessed as long as possible! They both have myspace and have seen my myspace page and read my blogs about safety, and watched the videos I posted....so they know how I feel...they just obviously have a blatant disregard for my beliefs.....you know it is my SISTER's wedding...so its all about HER and MY MOM! lol

Jeanum

Staff member
Awww, it sounds like a gorgeous dress for your little princess. :D Good for you for standing firm, and hope the family is receptive to your decision.

JaRylan

Are you going to show us pictures of her all dressed up? I agree with you, she rides with mom and she rides in the carseat. The bride is going to be focused on herself and the bridesmaids will be focused on themselves, your little girl is probably going to do better with a few extra minutes of mommy time than with someone telling her not to step on their dress. :rolleyes: I hope the rest of the wedding party arrives safely and that a wonderful day is had by all!

Yoshi

Good for you! I'm behind you in this decision, also:) BTW, a little girl on Long Island died in a Limo accident on her way home from the reception- they were hit head-on by a drunken driver going the wrong way on the expressway:( She was 6 yrs old- it was a few yrs ago I think. JUST SAY NO TO LIMOS TOO!

mommy2jana

Tina - How sad!!! That is just awful!!!

Jacqui - of course there will be pictures!!!! I can't wait to see her all dressed up!!!!

Erika Ruth

If you think the other wedding party members will be riding unrestrained, it could factor into your decision to let your DD ride in the limo in her MA. Unbuckled limo riders could become human projectiles in a crash and endanger a properly restrained child, KWIM?

I called the bride. (Thankfully, my decision was made for me). No room in the limo...
Eleanor gets to ride with Grandma. :)

Erika

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
First of all, congrats to your sister!

Now, about Jana:

I agree with you about Jana riding in the SUV.

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lys

Senior Community Member
WHy isn't she getting dressed at the wedding site??? Is it outside? is there not a place for her to get dressed there?
That seems like alot of trouble to go through to get from point A to point B.
And absolutely NOT would I let my DD ride unrestrained or eve in the limo.
There recently was in the news an entire wedding party (bride, groom, flower girl) that were killed when riding unrestrained in a limo when they were hit head on by a drunk driver.
The little flower girl was ejected through the windshield and decapitated. :(

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
ITA with you! My dd was a flower girl in my cousin's wedding last summer and we did exactly what you want to do. My cousin's fiance wanted the girls (another cousin's dd was co-flower girl) to ride in the limo with her to the wedding site. NO WAY! And surprisingly even DH was with me on it. To be nice I jokingly told her I would have to install carseats in the limo and everyone in it would have to wear a seatbelt. She said meeting them at the site was just fine :D

Good luck with your sister.

And what kind of dress does she have that she has to ride with the hatch open???? Does she want her train blowing in the wind behind the car???

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
They're the ones being irrational -- to think it's OK for a child to be unrestrained for any amount of time regardless of the reason + to think you don't have the final say without their complaining about it.... Wow.

mommy2jana

Thank you all for reassuring me! :) I'll definitely let you all know how it goes - maybe not today, but maybe tomorrow! lol It's going to be a busy day!

Yes, the wedding is outside - the bride and bridesmaids are getting ready at a hotel several blocks away. From going to rehearsal last night and seeing where the hotel is in relation to the gardens, I think I have my plan all ready! I think dd and I are going to get to the hotel early....we're going to park at the gardens (they have limited parking and 3 weddings going on tomorrow) and I will put her in her stroller and we'll walk to the hotel. Then we'll do the same thing on the way back to the gardens....I'll either bring dd's dress and slip it on her when we get there, or I will stuff her into her stroller with the dress on!

I'll post pics later! :)

And to Erika - I'm glad your dd is going to be riding safely with her grandma!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC