Yeast infection help please (for the boys)

SPJ&E

Joshua has had a yeast infection now for about 2 weeks (diagnosed by his doctor). It looks much better than it did, but I cannot get it to go away completely. I've been putting the cream on 4 times per day, as directed, but it's just not curing it. Pacey has one as well (it looks the same as Joshua's, but he hasn't been to the doctor). I make sure I wash my hands anytime I change a diaper or help Pacey go to the bathroom, to try to keep it from spreading.

I've heard/read that tea tree oil can work for yeast infections. I have some from when I was cloth diapering. How do I use it or should I?

At this point, I'll try pretty much anything to get rid of this...so any tips/advice are very much appreciated!

ADS

arly1983

I have heard that eating lots of yogurt with active cultures helps...Also when I was breastfeeding, my gyno said that if you put plain yogurt whereever it itches it would help. At the time, I had a yeast infection vaginally, on my nipples, and in my mouth....

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, plain yogurt eaten and applied topically can really help. And fresh air ...now that the weather's nice, it's time for some nakey butt time :)

lynsgirl

Joshua has had a yeast infection now for about 2 weeks (diagnosed by his doctor). It looks much better than it did, but I cannot get it to go away completely. I've been putting the cream on 4 times per day, as directed, but it's just not curing it. Pacey has one as well (it looks the same as Joshua's, but he hasn't been to the doctor). I make sure I wash my hands anytime I change a diaper or help Pacey go to the bathroom, to try to keep it from spreading.

I've heard/read that tea tree oil can work for yeast infections. I have some from when I was cloth diapering. How do I use it or should I?

At this point, I'll try pretty much anything to get rid of this...so any tips/advice are very much appreciated!

This is something ds3 (6mos) and I have been battling together since he was about 1 mo. Yes, tea tree oil does work for a topical yeast infection. I just put a few drops on a cotton ball (100% cotton, no synthetics) and rub it (gently ;)) on the area where he has/had a rash. It sometimes takes a couple of days to be totally gone, but I noticed an immediate improvement. The other thing is probiotics - if they have a rash, it's coming from somewhere, so combating it internally and helping it not be a recurring problem is something I'd definitely focus on. Right now, I'm on a "pregnancy anti-yeast" regimen, since a regular one was "not recommended" for pregnant or breastfeeding women, so he's getting the effects of that, as well. I'm getting more of this to have on hand for the other kids, but also to be able to give ds2 (Mr. Food Allergy) on a regular basis:
Tummy Tuneup

HTH and good luck - I know yeast rash/infection of any kind can be a stubborn thing to deal with and get rid of!

Last edited:

gwenvet

We're in the same boat...week three of a yeast infection that gets better but will not go away! We have used Nystatin, a compounded Rx and now Ketoconazole! Plus we have been feeding yogurt and Kefir. I'll try to get some tea tree oil this weekend.:confused:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I make an awesome yeast oil for my friends and family who have kids with yeast rashes, it cures the rash in 2-3 days MAX!

You take an ounce of olive oil, and 20 drops of tea tree oil and 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract and mix gently, apply at every diaper change & after baths & before bed & nap.

Make sure to wash your hands before touching the oil so you don't contaminate it.

Splash

Give them some yogurt to eat, and paint their bits with yogurt a few times a day. Also, some naked time in the sun will help.

djma

My youngest son has had 2 yeast infections, both from antibiotics. We were given Nystatin as well and after 2 weeks I couldn't figure out why he didn't look any better. I called the nurse and she said to put the Nystatin on first, then put regular diaper rash cream over that (like desitin, balmex...) because the Nystatin is not waterproof - or urine proof, so if he peed after I put the Nystatin on, he was basically washing it off. The regular diaper rash creams are -for the most part - waterproof/urine proof so they will keep the Nystatin on there a bit longer.

She also said that if possible, not to use baby wipes. Use a warm, damp paper towel. Something about the soaps used in the wipes could just make it worse.

HTH

SPJ&E

:eek: I've been rubbing the Nystatin in really well then sometimes putting diaper rash cream over it. I stopped because I didn't know if that way okay, lol! I guess I'll start doing that everytime I put the Nystatin on and see if that makes a difference. I'll also stop using the wipes and just use warm/wet paper towels.

And warm now?? You guys are nuts! It just snowed here the other day, LOL!! It's supposed to be warm this weekend though, so hopefully they can get some diaper free time out in the sun!

Joshua got some diaper free time in the house the other day and I'm scarred for life. All I can say is OH...MY...GOD :eek: !!!

The yogurt should be pretty easy to do for Joshua. Pacey, not so much...he's either allergic to milk or its an eczema trigger for him, so I'm trying to eliminate milk products to see if his rash will go completely away. It's much better after switching to soymilk, but he still has a few spots under his chin and I'm not sure what's causing them.

I'll give the tea tree oil a try first, I think...since the Nystatin has been doing no good. We'll see how that goes and go from there!

Thank you all so much for your suggestions!

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Yuck... yeast... we've had our fair share of yeast problems, too. All of my babies have had it in their mouths and on their poor little bottoms, and I've had it in my nipples repeatedly, and back when I was BFing, we kept passing it around. It was horrible. The thing that I found that really works way better than Nystantin or any other OTC yeast cream is Gentian Violet. It's a homeopathic remedy for yeast. It's like a purple dye that you paint on the area. It's what we finally found that worked for us after months of trying other things. We apply it a couple times a day and it usually only takes a few days to start looking much better. It stains, though, and rubbing alcohol is the only thing I've ever found that will get it out of clothes and off floors & counter tops. It is very cheap ($2-3) and is available OTC at most pharmacies (despite what Wikipedia says - I've never had a problem finding it). It isn't on the shelves, though, but you just ask at the desk and they'll get it out for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentian_violet
This is mostly regarding using Gentian Violet when breastfeeding, but thought you might still find it interesting:
http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/breastfeeding/a/gentian_violet.htm
Yogurt can help lots, but if your little guy can't eat yogurt, you can get acidophilus tablets, break them open, and sprinkle a little (very little) bit into applesauce or something else that he likes to eat.
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T080400.asp
I remember reading somewhere that if you have yeast problems, you should avoid eating foods that contain lots of yeast, like home baked bread, etc.., and you should also avoid really ripe bananas.
Hope you find relief soon!

fullofhope

There is a strawberry flavored acidophilis powder that I got at whole foods that I added to applesauce and el loved- and there's also soy yogurt, if he can do soy.

Isn't diluted vinager good to spray on the area too? I seem to remember doing that too...

If straight tea tree oil is to much for his skin, you can mix it with olive oil to dilute it before you put it on him.

If going diaper free is too wild, you could put him in a pair of thick underwear (non-waterproof training pants) so his skin can breathe but you have protection from major puddles. Or camp out in a room with hard flooring and waterproof/washable toys.

:) good luck!

SPJ&E

Pacey is daytime potty trained, so he gets plenty of air during the day. I might stick a pair of Pacey's thick Gerber training pants on Joshua to contain any mess he might make, lol...that way he can still get some air.

I put the tea tree oil on Joshua before bed, followed by the Nystatin AND Desitin and am going to do the same for Pacey in a few minutes. That might be overkill, lol, but we'll see if it helps anything!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Scarred for life... (giggle at the thought)... yeah, go ahead and try training pants to slow the flow :thumbsup: , there's still plenty of air goin' on there. And Nature's Miracle is god's gift to mamas dealing with any bodily fluids of any sort from any animal :cool:

SPJ&E

Scarred for life... (giggle at the thought)... yeah, go ahead and try training pants to slow the flow :thumbsup: , there's still plenty of air goin' on there. And Nature's Miracle is god's gift to mamas dealing with any bodily fluids of any sort from any animal :cool:

It's not really the fluids I'm worried about, LOL. I can handle the surprise puddles, but the other day was a bit more than that and let me just say this...his mouth got washed out with soap and he got hosed down in the bathtub...it was not pretty!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC