What to buy...TF, TFP or MR65?

mam521

So, I'm starting to look at seats for DS. We aren't in need at this point, but who doesn't like a new seat...LOL! We will need one for our dayhome provider soon enough so I kinda want to get it to "break it in" and make sure I know the ins and outs of how it works before I move it along and install for her.

I'm looking at the TF, TFP and the MR65. I'm looking to the future - more leg room than the Britaxes for ERF. DS is only 7.5mo old and his feet already touch the seat back in the BV...non issue at this point, but when he's 2, I'd like to afford him a but more space so he can uncross, cross or flop as he pleases. I'm just afraid that the MR's base is high and we'd have head bonking issues. Can anyone weigh in on this? Looks like the TF's are lower profile to the seat. True? False? And, which is wider? Its going to have to puzzle well as it will end up in the dayhome provider's van and I want 1 more kiddo in the future :D Also, which one fits better behind a seat (for now, RF in a 2010 Jetta, later, in a 2007 Caravan)? I just want people's personal experiences versus the numbers in the manual :)

TIA for imput!

ADS

amyd

I own a TF & a MR, and honestly, both are kinda hard to heave a bigger kid into RFing in a small car (we have them in a Honda Civic). DS can climb into the TF by himself, though, while he can't in the MR. Although if it's eventually going into a van, that wouldn't really be an issue. I don't have any problems with either one in my Mazda 5.

Both are great seats and I think it's really a matter of personal preference. The MR has 5 extra lbs of RFing room, but less height, while the TF will harness most kids to booster age, but less RFing time (although, I think my son, who has outgrown the weight limit on the TF RFing, will outgrow the MR RFing by height before he hits 40lbs. The no-rethread harness on the TF is nice, especially if another child will ever sit in the seat. I personally like the continuous harness of the TF, but I know some don't really care for that. I haven't used the TFP yet, but I think I'd like it. Honestly, I think a TFP with a 40lb RFing limit might be the perfect seat...a girl can dream, right?:whistle:

geekKT

Honestly, I think a TFP with a 40lb RFing limit might be the perfect seat...a girl can dream, right?:whistle:

:yeahthat:

Just wanted to add that they're both pretty wide seats, but the MR's width is up a bit higher where the cup holders are, and the TF/TFP's is somewhat lower. For puzzling...it's going to depend on what it's up against though I suppose I don't often hear of the TFP being used for puzzling, whereas the MR can sometimes fit well "over" a lower profile seat.

ETA: The MR and the TFP were the 2 seats I went back and forth on, I really like them both a lot.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If leg room is a big factor, then I'd got TF or TFP. I'm a fan of the TFP because I like the anti-rebound feature.

I really like the MR as well, and it might puzzle better than the TF. It will really depend on the place it's installed - you can often have 1 wide seat if you choose the other 2 seats carefully.

40lb TF ARB - yep, sounds like a dream seat to me too. Though 35lbs is fine for my kids anyways. :thumbsup:

mam521

I'm kind of leaning toward the TF or TFP because they are slightly lower profile. I deal with carefully placing DS into his BV so as not to bonk his head all the time in the truck.

Puzzling isn't a huge deal so far...the dayhome lady and I have basically agreed that my kids will be in the 2nd row buckets because she refuses to pay for 2 more tethers in the 3rd row. Its been a big fight, but apparently the other parents don't have an issue with their children's faces being rearranged in a crash event should it ever happen. I'm not. And, DS will be RFing anyway.

Front to back room, how do the 3 of them compare to say a BV? BV fits fine in the truck, Roundabout is better in the car just because its smaller. I know TFP takes about an extra inch because of the ARB feature. I wish this weather wasn't so gross or I'd hit up BRU and try one out for comparison purposes!

Hehe...hubby says if I want to find a new home for Roundabout, I can get a new seat :D

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Front to back room, how do the 3 of them compare to say a BV? BV fits fine in the truck, Roundabout is better in the car just because its smaller. I know TFP takes about an extra inch because of the ARB feature. I wish this weather wasn't so gross or I'd hit up BRU and try one out for comparison purposes!

Hehe...hubby says if I want to find a new home for Roundabout, I can get a new seat :D

Old style BV? Both seats will take up less room than the BV. At least assuming older child/more upright angle. And actually, at a new born angle the MR will stake take less room, and the TF without the headrest at newborn would be less as well even with the ARB.

I'm not convinced the ARB really makes an inch worth difference because it presses in to the back of the vehicle seat depending on how you push on it when tightening it.

p.s. West end TRU is out of the ARB TF, not sure if south side still has any or not.

geekKT

In my Taurus, I squish the carseat (thanks Trudy!) into the seat so I'm not sure having the ARB really adds much to the overall space needed. It also gives me a bit of a hole to shove my hand into to reach the adjuster.

Last time I was at the north side BRU I believe they still had them, but it's been a while now.

selinajean

We just switched from a TF to a MR this week as Nick was nearing the RF weight limit and I wasn't ready to FF yet. I am not noticing any difference as far as clearance space goes, getting him in and out of the van. I have bonked his head a few times when using the TF and our previous AO, so I am sure that the time will come with this seat. He did comment on his first MR trip though that, "I can see!" He enjoys that it is up just that little bit higher as it gives him a different vantage point. I am also not noticing any difference in the amount of space that it takes up front to back in my van.

I am a little concerned with the lack of height in the MR. It is very noticeable compared to the TF. If I had a very tall child, I would not have considered this seat. I agree that a 40 pound RF limit TF would be ideal!

mam521

Old style BV? Both seats will take up less room than the BV. At least assuming older child/more upright angle. And actually, at a new born angle the MR will stake take less room, and the TF without the headrest at newborn would be less as well even with the ARB.

I'm not convinced the ARB really makes an inch worth difference because it presses in to the back of the vehicle seat depending on how you push on it when tightening it.

p.s. West end TRU is out of the ARB TF, not sure if south side still has any or not.

Yup, older style BV. I'm not convinced safe cell and yadda yadda yadda is worth the price. I like the seat, but as mentioned, it sure doesn't give much leg room when my little man gets bigger. For the time being, it will stay in the truck for the simple reason I can RF tether it. I don't know if I'm comfortable with the idea of the back windshield being that close to the seatback and the potential for him to hit it if something should happen. I'd consider a Radian only if I had a chance to try before I buy for that vehicle only because I'm a bit hesitant after seeing all the issues people have with the seat itself and the lack of customer service. But, thats not for a while yet. BV fits him fine, its installed with the tightest LATCH install I've ever gotten out of it I think and well, its paid for :thumbsup:

If TF and MR take up the same amount of space front to back as the Roundabout (older style, NOT the 50), then we're totally laughing. Which has a better/easier harness adjuster? I am a loosen every time I get the kid out kind of person so thats important to me as well :)

Not a big deal with no stock ATM...I'm afraid to venture out this close to Christmas and I despise Boxing Day...people are so silly! It will likely be a new year venture when DS is in a good mood so I can strap him in and unstrap him in the different seats. We're lucky, he's a very good baby and is pretty tolerant :love: Just wanna squish him!

willowlott

From my experience with both a TF and a TFP, if you want to be able to easily adjust the harness, get the TFP. The rebound bar makes the harness adjuster easier to reach. That being said, I find the continuous loop harness (or whatever the actual term for it is) really easy to use without loosening and tightening every time.

We just moved my 3yo from an Advocate to the TFP and I am amazed at how much more room she has.

Oh and also it is on sale right now at TRU online.

Also, I think the TFP takes up *slightly* more room than the Advocate. I'm assuming because of the required 35deg angle where the Advocate we had pretty upright at 30deg.

mam521

Well, I went and was able to stick DS in a TF today. Unfortunately, the removable headrest would only be an option for a short bit of time. There sure isn't much shell between the top of his head and the magic red line that tells you to put the headrest back on. He does look pretty comfy in it though :)

There were no MR65's. WalMart still had them the last time I was there, so I'll stick him in there when I go next. It would have been nice to do a side by side, but whatever. I'll take it as it comes!

On another note...Snugglebugz has the 2010 Radians on for $279. Not the space saver I want, but definitely the ERF'er I want...still scared of them after the love hate relationships aired on the forum ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC