BLVD install issues in 98 Mustang

lahuffman

Post minor accident, I am borrowing FIL's 98 Mustang well DH fixes my van. I have the BLVD(2009 model) from his car in the mustang for my 2 year old DD. I tried to no avail to get the thing in RF:mad:-not gonna happen. Gave up and put it in FF,the car only has lap/shouler belt-no latch, no tether. I have done seatbelt install (w/ tether) with this seat in DH's car so have gotten pretty good, this car you think it is in tight and it loosens itself even when unoccupied. It feels like if we took a sharp turn the seat would fall over.:eek:

Is there a trick to install in this car? :confused:I have been able to limit my outings, but when I do I have to reinstall to tighten it to leave and then do it all over when we leave our destination so we can go home.

I can't put it behind driver, I would have to sit on the dash to drive, the BLVD is rear passenger side with the passenger seat all the way forward so that DD has some leg room. Only the 2 seats back there. Oh and another issue, if the entire base of the seat is on the cars seat the rear of the base is lifted up off the seat. If the the blvd base is flat on the cars seat the front overhangs- is this an issue? I've never had this problem in my MPV or DH's GTI.

Please help, thanks:)!

ADS

Pixels

Do you have the base locked in the upright mode? You mentioned trying to install RFing, so I thought that might have gotten forgotten when you turned it around. If it's upright and the choice is to have the back lifted up or the front overhang, the front can overhang by 20%.

How are you locking the seatbelt? Are you using the lockoffs, and the belt is slipping through? Does the car's seatbelt lock at the buckle or at the retractor?

lahuffman

Yes, I thought I had left it in rf recline mode too, it is in ff mode. The belt seems to lock at the lap section and I had the shoulder belt part in the lock off on the seat. The base seems pretty good is w/in that 1 inch of wiggle room (I know that is acceptable but I am used to a no wiggle at all latch install in the mpv) but the top of the seat will lean from side to side with very little effort. Is there another way to tighten the top portion of the seat?

Pixels

If the belt locks at the buckle, then it probably doesn't have a switchable retractor, though it's worth checking. Slowly pull the shoulder belt all the way out, and let it go back in. You should be able to do this without uninstalling the seat.

If you got a tether anchor retrofitted, the tether would help stabilize the top of the seat. But with it being a borrowed vehicle, I don't know if the owner would be okay with that. I don't have my LATCH manual with me, someone else can give you the info.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
If you keep her FFing in the Mustang, retrofitting top tether anchors can be done free of charge at a Ford dealership through Ford Program R7C - refer the dealership to that program number for details. :thumbsup: It's highly recommended to top tether forward facing harnessed seats to reduce head excursion, especially in light of the smaller space behind the front seats in a Mustang. Moving on to the top tether anchor part numbers and some added details about where they can be retrofitted in the car from the LATCH manual. :) The Ford tether anchor part number for retrofitting a '98 Mustang coupe or convertible model is F4ZZ 63613D74-A, two of these may be installed, and the specific location for installing the retrofit tether anchors differs depending on whether it's the coupe or convertible. The LATCH manual indicates '98 Mustang convertibles have two 8mm weld nuts in the luggage compartment floor, and a note that says: "Close convertible top before attaching the tether strap to the tether anchor. Remove luggage compartment floor carpet and push trim panel forward to access tether anchor points." '98 Mustang coupes have 2 drilled holes in the rear filler panel, and the LATCH manual notes, "Bolt is threaded from underneath up through retaining nut bracket."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC