LBB / HBB thoughts

monstah

I know what I am doing and it wont be influenced by this thread. I'm just wondering what other techs & advocates think. My wheels have been spinning since Julies blog.

DS is 5 years old and 57 pounds (without winter clothing, etc). He can either sit in the third row in a HBB ParkwaySG. I measured from the PKWYSG headrest to the back of the seat in front of him and he has 25 inches of clearance straight forward. The third row has side curtain airbags. On his right is a Nautilus.

The other choice would be center of the second row in a LiteRider LBB between a RF convertible / Nautilus sandwich. I measured from the headrest to the back of the drivers seat to be 34 inches. There is nothing in front of him but the center console, a little lower than his knees.

Because it's relevant, the lap belt fit is better in the LR than in the PKWYSG but the shoulder belt rides close to his neck in the LR.

He hasn't fallen asleep in the car since he was 3. :rolleyes:

Not the best picture in the PKWYSG because I wasn't planning on starting this thread. And like I mentioned, I am doing what I am comfortable with and expect I know most everyones answer. I am concerned about the minimal clearance between the third and second row. For a visual, he has to turn his feet sideways so I can fold the 2nd row back up.

Last edited:
ADS

christineka

Does the shoulder belt adjuster help the shoulder belt fit? I tried my kids in the parkway sg and am not impressed with the lap-belt fit. Can you sell or return the parkway and get a different seat, such as the turbobooster? If the decision is soley between those two, I might go with the literider, except for long rides when he's likely to get tired.

monstah

except for long rides when he's likely to get tired.
I wish! ;)

I did plan on buying a TurboHBB when they start the clearance event at Target. The ParkwaySG leaves something to be desired.

I never tried the shoulder belt guide on the LR. I can though, it's upstairs.

Chameleon

Because it's relevant, the lap belt fit is better in the LR than in the PKWYSG but the shoulder belt rides close to his neck in the LR.

Just want to point out that having the shoulder belt close to the neck is not a problem at all. I prefer it actually. That way I know it won't be tempted to slip off the shoulder.

babyherder

In this case I'd go with the literider. We know that a good lapbelt fit is important. We don't know that a highback is safer than backless. I'd still look into getting him a better fitting highback that can fit where the literider is now but until then I'd use the literider.

Kat_Momof3

I'm with those that say a good lapbelt fit is more important... I'd go with the literider... HOWEVER... I'd try to get him in a better-fitting hbb while he's riding in it, but I see he's not a car sleeper. He is definitely big for his age and the point here is that he fits well, and it gives him MORE side protection (being in the middle seat) than being outboard with a hbb.

on long rides when he might get tired, sleep or not, you could encourage him to place a small pillow against the headwing of the Nautilus and put his head on the pillow.

and as long as the shoulderbelt isn't bugging him, I don't mind it closer to the neck... I prefer it, too, to ensure it will stay in position in a side crash.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm a new tech, so I'm very curious as to what you're actually doing. I think the LiteRider makes sense in this situation. Up until my tech class, I thought that HBB were safer for smaller children but then they stressed that as long as the seatbelt fit is correct, that a LBB is just as safe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC