Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LATCH question

LATCH question

So Enna is now 41 lbs and in an MA (though I may move her soon as she's pretty tall). I have looked through my car owners manual (Toyota Sequoia) and the MA manual and I can't find anything on LATCH limits. Please help!
    I love the MA install with latch but I'm not totally satisfied with the seat belt one, it has a tiny bit of movement.

Any thoughts? Can I do it with latch still? Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks so much!
    Morgan
    Sage 12, Olivia 11, Enna 6 (ff TrueFit), Imogen 4.5 (ff Marathon)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Re: LATCH question

Toyota states to follow the carseat manufacturer's limit for LATCH installations. Not sure if it varies for a Canadian Britax seat or not, but U.S. certified Britax models manufactured since approx. early 2008 state to assume a limit of 40 lbs. (child weight) for lower LATCH anchor installations unless the vehicle manufacturer states a different limit. Earlier U.S. Britax models stated a 48 lb. child weight limit for lower LATCH anchor installations unless the vehicle specified a lower limit.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

It's 40 lbs. unless the vehicle manufacturer states otherwise per the Canadian MA 65 manual online at http://www.britax.ca/uploads/product...-guides/83.pdf Here's the blurb from page 3 of the online .pdf manual:

Refer to your vehicle owner’s manual or contact the vehicle
    manufacturer for the maximum weight rating for their LUAS.
    Use vehicle seat belt (not LUAS) for installations with children
    who weigh more than the vehicle LUAS limit. Unless specified
    otherwise by the vehicle manufacturer, assume a 18.1 kg (40 lb)
    child is the vehicle LUAS limit.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

A tiny bit of movement is totally acceptable. The goal is less than an inch of movement. It sounds to me like your seatbelt install is fine.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three