crash dynamics

Michi

Is there somewhere (a website/link) where I can show my DH that in a crash you move towards the point of impact/collision. ( He does not believe me on this one):rolleyes:
Thanks,
Michi

ADS

southpawboston

no offense to your DH, but you are, like, quite seriously kidding, right? did your DH ever take high school physics??? you know, an object in motion tends to stay in motion? wow...

Michi

sigh - yeah I know!
He just thinks that if we get rear-ended we are going to go flying forward.....

TheRealMacGyver

I did worse! 62.5:thumbsdown: Then I started to review my answers, check this out:

Running a ceiling fan in an enclosed room during the summer will slowly raise the room’s temperature (assuming no heat transfer in or out).

True or False - I said false, because a fan will only circulate air and in the summer make you "feel" cooler (wind-chill effect)

WRONG - True. Electric energy used for turning the fan will be converted into thermal energy when the fan blades stir the air. This will slowly increase the temperature of the room.

I though we were assuming no heat transfer!!!!! BOGUS TEST:thumbsdown:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I never took physics -- wasn't required other than a tiny blurb in the midst of a basics middle school science class ... so I won't even share how horribly I scored! :eek: :p

southpawboston

I did worse! 62.5:thumbsdown: Then I started to review my answers, check this out:

Running a ceiling fan in an enclosed room during the summer will slowly raise the room’s temperature (assuming no heat transfer in or out).

True or False - I said false, because a fan will only circulate air and in the summer make you "feel" cooler (wind-chill effect)

WRONG - True. Electric energy used for turning the fan will be converted into thermal energy when the fan blades stir the air. This will slowly increase the temperature of the room.

I though we were assuming no heat transfer!!!!! BOGUS TEST:thumbsdown:

they were... no heat transfer in or out of the room. but there is thermal heat generated by the conversion of electrical energy to mechanical energy. ;) but yes, they *should* have been more specific for a bunch of sticklers like you and me :) see, that's the great thing about being a scientist... when you answer "wrong", you can justify it by picking apart the questioning (that's actually what i have to do when i peer-review publications).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is there somewhere (a website/link) where I can show my DH that in a crash you move towards the point of impact/collision. ( He does not believe me on this one):rolleyes:
Thanks,
Michi

I can see where he's coming from... If I hit a cue ball into a pool ball, the pool ball doesn't fly backwards towards the cue ball, does it? :whistle:

There's a lot of physics in it I don't understand, either, but the upshot is your body is really staying still and the car is flying forward and it gives the effect of your body going backwards/toward the point of impact. I wonder if www.iihs.org has good videos...

TheRealMacGyver

Is there somewhere (a website/link) where I can show my DH that in a crash you move towards the point of impact/collision. ( He does not believe me on this one)
Thanks,
Michi

I just realized that I never answered the original question that I came on to do-got sidetracked with the test! (Old-Timers Disease setting in):eek:

Michi, my wife couldn't grasp this either, and I tried a ton of visuals and everything. That part of her brain is just not "on". Finally, I just said trust me it's true! Then we were pushing our son on the swing one day, and I said watch what happens when I push him. His head goes back when I push him forward...SEE. Still don't know if she got it, she just said Ohh, yeh, okay:D

JaRylan

I can see where he's coming from... If I hit a cue ball into a pool ball, the pool ball doesn't fly backwards towards the cue ball, does it? :whistle:

There's a lot of physics in it I don't understand, either, but the upshot is your body is really staying still and the car is flying forward and it gives the effect of your body going backwards/toward the point of impact. I wonder if www.iihs.org has good videos...

Can I guess, can I guess? Is the reason why the pool ball deosen't fly back into the cue ball because of transfer of energy? An object in motion hits a stationary object and so long as the second object is able to move forward it does using the energy of first object....wait a minute...I may have just lost myself. :dizzy:

I scored 60%. Apparently I can still guess enough to pass. :whistle: Bette give me another one of those mixed up reading tests, lol. http://www.intuitor.com/physics_tes...37=true&R38=true&R39=false&R40=true&B1=Submit

Michi

Thanks Tiff - those tests are great - I haven't had time to take it yet, but I will show DH tonight!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC