Bigger than I thought

Lenae

Today my DS is three. He had a doctors appointment, and when they weighed him he was 30lbs in a t shirt and jeans!:eek: He is definitely in the middle of a growth spurt right now, but I never expected him to weigh that much. Two months ago he weighed in at 24lbs. Obviously this growth will slow, but I don't know when. He has a MA and a TF. Should I sell a seat to fund another one with higher RF weight limits? He's on the second slots in the MA, and just today I moved him to the third on the TF. He's slightly below them, but DH was getting very frustrated with buckling because the straps came out so low. DD has a CCO that I bought with my Mustang in mind, but I am now selling said Mustang, and really have no reason to keep the CCO. I could sell that, give DD the MA and get DS another seat, or do I just wait out the last five pounds and see how far it takes us?

ADS

amelia222

I'd see what he weighs in a few weeks. He may stay around 30lb for a while after the growth spurt. How much did he weigh a year ago? For an idea of his growth patterns.

Lenae

At two years old he weighed around 23lbs. He gained 4lbs from his first birthday to his second, and 7lbs from two to three. He lost baby fat though as he starting walking after his first birthday. His growth curve shot up this last time, although his pediatrican said that wasn't terribly uncommon, I don't know what that will mean for his RF future.

amelia222

I'd probably wait then and keep a close watch on his weight. How comfortable would you be ffing him if he does hit the weight limit soon? Personally I wouldn't buy another seat to rf a 3 year old. And there's a good chance he'll stay under 35lb for a good few months at least.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think you have some time... my dd was 29/30 pounds at 3, and didn't hit 35 till she was 4.5. I'd probably be looking at FF seats to move into next, though, just to be able to get the best bargain....

S

SpoonMum

Yeah I'd keep them for another month or so at least and see what happens, he might stay around that weight for a little while now so there's no rush :)

Lenae

I figured waiting it out would be best. I suppose I just saw 30 and panicked. I always thought my skinny little string bean could rearface forever, and now I'm being hit with the reality that he really is growing.

On a side note, DH is relocating to Unalaska, AK- better known to some as Dutch Harbor, in the Aluetians- for a job. I will be following shortly after (hopefully) with the kids. I will probably sell two of our seats, and keep just one per child, since we won't have a car on the island at all for several months probably. We will be driving a company truck for grocery store runs in the meantime. Is keeping the true fits a good idea? They're so big and bulky, but I LOVE them. Or the MA and CCO because they are small and I have a pretty easy time installing them? Or should I get one or two new seats altogether? Some super lightweight, super easy install seats? I've never come across a seat easier for me than the MA, but I really only planned to use it RF for DS then passing it to DD for RF. I don't like how high it sits for FF. But the install for it is sooo easy, at least in every vehicle I've put it in, that I think it would be fine for such a small island, with not a lot of daily driving. Grrr, I'm frustrated at this whole idea of moving.

Thanks again.

babyherder

I'd keep either a TF or the MA for your dd. And get your ds a seat with a higher rf weight limit as long as you find one with an install you can live with. It sounds like you don't want to ff him yet so while you're re-arranging I figure you might as well get something that goes to 40lbs. Since he's in the middle of a growth spurt I would be concerned that he might hit 35 lbs sooner rather than later. If you have the time to wait and see when his growth spurt ends that would be even better.

Austins-mama

I think I would wait it out a little bit and look at the situation when either DD needs a new seat or he gets closer to 35lbs.

It could take him a year to reach 35lbs or it could take a couple of months. I think I would def try and wait it out until after Lifesavers next year and see what is going to be coming available.

I am always one to wait until the last moment to buy a seat just because I know if I don't there will be something bigger and better that comes a long a month after I buy one.

AtTheSouthDam

Yeah, just keeping weighing him. I had that panic last week when DD2 came up 39.5# last Friday. At the pediatrician today she only weighed 38#. He may go up and down for a bit then settle at a weight for several months or finish he growth spurt with less than than spectacular weight gain from this.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC