So our Marathon made a trip to the E.R on Monday

BudgieStew

Monday evening my Mil had just dropped off DS who she had looked after for the weekend and we were all sitting on the couch watching some T.V.
DS was being really sweet hugging and kissing DD.Phone rang it was DH. DD got up and ran off with DS's bag of cars.
DS ran after her and then I hear her scream in anger(cause he took the bag away).So I tell DH they were quiet until you called, of course.

I went to get her and she was not breathing but its normal for her
when she gets mad she sucks in a lot of air and waits a few seconds
before screaming loud.
So I jokingly say to her Breathe Breathe and when its been longer
then it should be I start to scream thinking she is choking and tell
DH that I have to call 911.
I call 911 and try and see if she has anything in her mouth but her teeth are clamped shut and the convulsions start and her eyes are all funny and bubbles are coming out of her mouth and I am not sure if she is breathing.

Any and all first aid training that I have had went right out the window.
Will be looking into a course for DH and I...

911 is asking for my name and phone number and address and I
am telling them it and that they need to send an ambulance that my 15
month old daughter is not breathing he seems to have a hard time understanding me I seem to recall him asking if I spoke French which I don't...he transfers me to ANOTHER agent after telling her some stuff and she asks if I want the police or ambulance.

So I tell them the ambulance while they ask my name and address again
asking me to confirm the town etc. WTH at some point she passed out.
It happened fast but if she was dying it would have be too long. I wasn't ordering pizza for crying out loud.

I ran outside looking for my next door neighbor to take the phone in French
but saw another neighbor outside with his girls and yelled that I need
his help and he took over the phone.
We stood at my front door and she started to keen but was super spacey.
He hung up with them and said they are on their way and left to get
his kids in the house while I put on jeans.
When he came back I tried to call my MIL but the buttons on our phone
are sticking and I was too shaky so I had gave him the number..mind
you I am referring to a piece of paper here cause I do not know
anyone's number by heart.
I started throwing outdoor gear for DS and my keys at the neighbor for him to take charge of DS until my MIL arrived. First time I had met him besides Halloween hand outs at our respective homes.
Later I would learn that his name was Eric.He will be getting a thank you gift from us.
The police arrived at this time and then the ambulance and then my
MIL. Under 5 minutes for sure maybe even less.
Police are asking my name and if I lived here alone while I am running out the door saying my husband is in James Bay.About a 24 hour drive and not way really to get in touch.

The phone rings and I dash back to answer it.
It was DH with a collect call(communication since he left for James Bay has been sketchy)and I handed the phone to the neighbor and got in the ambulance...but they told me I had to be in the front and I had time to note that she was awake and had a H20 mask on.
The police had time to ask what happened while I waited to leave.And to remind me to put on my seat belt...

She had been crying but during ride she was silent and I had no idea
what was going on since I was in the front.
In the back of my mind I had the idea it was a febrile seizure because of her fever but what if it wasn't. At that point I was fearful she was dying.

The paramedics are speaking in French and using code so I have no idea what was going on.

But just as we pull into the hospital yard she starts to cry..thank goodness.

I get out and get back in with her and was alert and pissed. The Paramedic thinks she might have a latex allergy due to redness around where her oxygen mask was..will keep an eye on that.

Anyway they did the normal things, took temp of 100C rectally so more like 99..she must have had a sudden drop in temperature.
Febrile seizures are caused by sudden drops/spikes in temp.

She had woke with a fever that morning but was super alert, happy,
active and eating and nursing well all day so had not been concerned.

They had to clean wax out of ears to look inside that pissed her off
even more and saw an ear infection...so prescribed antibiotics and
Tylenol but wanted a blood test first.
The nurse was super annoying asking question about if I had other children and then gasping when I said yes that she was my youngest..I harshly asked why and she said something about her wanting children but not being able to have them so she had a dog WTH is this woman going on about...a dog.
This is not sharing time its telling me what is wrong with my daughter. I said back something to the effect while I certainly don't need a dog in my life.

Blood test don't happen quickly. So I sat around waiting and nursing DD to sleep.
Our neighbor Eric walked in with DD's car seat lol
My MIL had the presence of mind to send her car seat so I could get home.:)
He offered his help if I needed money etc He said the same thing happened to his wife with their youngest and he ad been away as well. I thanked him but figured I would just take a cab home after they were done..as it seemed like my MIL was at my place with DS.
I called her there and told her that DD was fine and we were coming home later...she reminds me to call my SIL. Whom I had forgotten about lol

I ask her to come and give us a lift home. DS had already been put to bed.DH had not called back so with no way to reach him as I was unsure if he had left James Bay and was at a hotel or still at the Hydro Quebec village.

While I wait for DD's blood test, Line my SIL arrives so I hand DD who is sleeping over to her and go outside to install her car seat.

Line has an older model car with no latch and the neighbor had forgotten to bring the D-ring for her car seat, understandable since only two car seats in Canada offer rear facing tethering. I have a horrible time trying to get her seat in good even with the lock offs.

I go back in, get my self a hot chocolate and find out that the Doctor wants to keep us over night as she had blanked out in the ambulance.
They wake her up to take a blood test and at that time this same nurse was cheering me on for nursing my 8 month old...I correct her and tell her she is 15 months.
Can you imagine they had had her in there for an over an hour at that point and thought she was 8 month old. She walks and talks, pretty advanced for an 8 month old. lol
Anyhow she went on about how great it is that I am nursing well duh lady you are preaching to the choir here.
I am nursing 15 month old in a town that has the lowest breast feeding rates in Quebec. One play group I had gone to with DS last year were giving out the oddest reasons as to why they were not nursing...it was unreal, anyway I digress that's another rant for another day.
My SIL is sent back to my place to grab a diaper bag and jackets etc. I had run out the door without a thing and DD did not even have a jacket....it was snowing again at that point yes April 16th and it was snowing. It had been a crazy windy day with snow, and rain.

I call my FIL and updated him, ask him if DH had called and he said yes but the number he had left did not work. I compare to a number that I had and give him the correct one. Finally at 930pm DH is informed that DD is okay..don't think that he is over it.
Note to self take the plunge and get a stupid cell phone.

We are guessing at this point he will be home by Saturday so I say Sunday. I am sure he will be happy to see us. Almost 2 weeks gone...and he might only be home one day before he leaves for Baie Comeau.
My SIL leaves after dropping off dd'S diaper bag, she had grabbed disposables and winter boots, both were DS's lol.

They moved me to another room where I sat waiting and this darn nurse comes in again and starts talking about how young and alone I am, sigh...really yes I am basically in my PJ's and ran out of the house with no make up etc but I am really not that young..going on 30 next yea.. gulp.

She also says that she can see in my eyes that I really care about my daughter which I find totally odd..um duh of course I care about my child. So I tell her that and she says a lot of people don't. Totally odd conversion to be having with a stranger.

Any way I guess if that is the worst they can treat a so called teenage Mother I guess its alright. lol I never bothered to correct her.

The results come back fine from the test so they decided I can leave after giving her some antibiotics and Tylenol.
DD is not impressed about being woken up let alone some one dare feeding her something. She is a self feeder and always has been.
I think if they made it so the child could give it to themselves we would be in business, that stuff went everywhere.

Call my SIL and she picks us up and she drops us off at home..Mil spent the night.
Next morning we wake up and DD is a right as roses.
She was busy busy busy trying to climb everything. So hopefully this was a one off deal and will never happen again.

I've read about this many times before but until it happens to you you just don't realize the terror and helplessness.

Sorry about the typo's etc I C/P it from another Forum that I had originally posted it. Retyping is not my thing.

ADS

SPJ&E

Oh wow, I can't imagine what you went through! I'm glad everything turned out alright!

Oh and what a great neighbor you have...that is just awesome! I would definitely get him a thank you gift!

ThreeBeans

I swear this gave me Deja Vu.

Until i realized I just read the same post on mdc ;)

Febrile seizures are horrible. Time feels like it stops in them. I'm so glad everything is going to be ok :love:

JaRylan

Wow, what a day. Thank goodness for good neighbours and family. Hugs to you. Hope you all get some sleep and that the ear infection heals quickly.

Chameleon

Wow what a scarey night you had. I'm glad everything turned out alright. Thank goodness you had people you could count on.

chelle80

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Wow, what a time you had. So glad your DD is doing better. Thank goodness you had a neighbor that helped.
Febrile seizures are not fun to deal with, they are scary as HE!!. Expecially in a baby that young. I think Dakota was about 16m when he went through having them.

BudgieStew

Thank Goodness for the neighbor. I wonder if he noticed how cool her car seat was;)
DH and I are debating on what to get him. He is in his 30's and is married and has two little girls under 5, I guess. Any suggestions?

It was unarguable the most scared I have ever been in my entire life. Even when my DS was born and he was whisked away I knew he was going to be fine. This time I didn't
Yup I posted it on MDC as well.:whistle:

mommy2jana

Oh wow!!! I am so glad the story had a happy ending!!! Thank goodness for your neighbor! ((((HUGS)))) to you and dd!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC