Is there any reason to booster vs. harness?

mrswh

Just curious . . . is there any reason that at some age it would be wiser to booster a child than harness her? My kids are little peanuts - DD is 6.5, 45 inches, 41 lbs. I have her harnessed in a FR85 and she has not complained nor asked to switch to booster. So far I just figure I'll leave her harnessed until there is some reason to switch.

I can't fathom any age where a child is capable of sitting properly in a booster for an entire car ride over 5 minutes - I can't even say I do it. There will always be instances of reaching for a dropped item, or poking a sibling, or falling asleep and flopping over. I'm not saying that a child isn't plenty safe in a properly fitted booster, just that it must be true that a child is safer in a harness simply by virtue of the fact that she is ALWAYS in proper position in a harness. (Maybe that makes it only .00000001% safer, but safer nonetheless. Also helps me when driving because I don't have to worry about whether she is sitting properly.)

I'm not saying whether a kid should or shouldn't be harnessed or boostered - and I'm not going to make my DD sit in a 5-point harness until 8th grade (she'll honestly probably still fit then), I'm just wondering, if the kid isn't asking for a booster, is there any reason NOT to keep her harnessed? The only thing I can think of is that she won't be "booster trained" in the event she would want to go somewhere that would involve a booster - but at 6.5, does she really need to be "trained," or can she just be told how to sit properly in the seat?

Thanks for any thoughts!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She doesn't need to be trained. I wouldn't worry if she had to ride in a booster. The first ride most kids are so shocked that they're in a booster they just sit as if they were harnessed still. It's the fourth and fifth rides and beyond you need to worry about more.

Piper can sit in a booster, and sleeps well in them (see my siggy pic). I don't hold completely still, but I certainly don't go out of position once every five minutes! Piper leans to get things, but she does it at red lights (we live in a city, there's a light or a stop sign every few blocks).

As for when is it safer to booster, we don't know. And there's no harm in leaving a child in a harness if there is no need to change.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC