Are there any convertibles that you think of as exclusively RF or FF?

Splash

Like, you know they *can* go the other way, but you really don't think they should or you wouldn't use them that way?
For me, the Radian is basically a FF only seat, due both to the extreme recline RF and the install difficulties and how much room it takes up RF. Also, the Coccoro, while cute as all get out and actually nice FF, just seems RF only to me. Same with the MR65... I could not see myself ever using it FF. I'm also starting to shy away from the older Britax convertibles FF because they're so high.
Like, the seats Sam is in now (MR65 and old MA) are going to be used RF only and will likely never see the FF light of day.
Any other seats you think of like this?

ADS

jjordan

I think of the MyRide as RF only because it is typically SOOO reclined when FF.

Funny that you mention the Radian as FF only; it actually works really well RF in both of my cars. :)

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I think of the Radian as a FF only seat too, because it is such a giant PITA to install RF that I just hate it.

Actually, now that I think of it, I have three convertibles that I've only ever used FF - the Radian, a MyRide and a TrueFit, although the TF and MR will soon be pushed into RF service for my younger DS as he outgrows his 33lb-limit Marathons. It's just that when I purchased them initially, I only had need for FF seats. I'm looking forward to see how much I like them the other way!

I don't get the complaints about the MyRide being too reclined FF. Yes, it's reclined, but it's also deep and cozy. It was absolutely wonderful on our cross-country journey because my older DS could sleep as well in it as his RF brother could sleep in his Marathon. I loved it for that!

sunnymw

i have to disagree about the radians as i have a much harder time with the ff install in my vehicle and bought it just to re-rf ds1

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I tend to use convertibles RF only, and combo seats for FFing. Although my tendancy for the last eight or nine months has been to only have RFers and booster riders, so that plays into it, lol.

That said, although I've used it maybe twice FF, the MR is a RF-only seat for me. CCO is the same -- mostly because I can't see FFing a kid who would fit in it FFing. I've never used the Radian FFing, but my brain can wrap around it (whereas MR almost does.not.compute lol.) I can't imagine NOT using it as a RFing seat, though, since that's the primary reason I own one.

ETA: And the 40lb Sceneras... there's such a small sliver of time when they'll fit FF and not RF in them, they're RF only seats to me (albeit not most of America, lol.)

rodentranger

40RF Sceneras are RF only IMO.
I'd like the classic MAs I have to be RF only, but they will be used ff sooner than I'd like.
I agree about the CCO and the MR.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
First 2 that come to mind are the MR for RF and Radian for FF. I've never seen a Coccoro in real but I think I'd agree on RF only.

karlatta

Pretty much along the same lines as what everyone else has said.

CCO and MR are RF-only. CCO because I can't see someone who knows enough about car seats to buy a CCO actually putting a FF child in it. That kind of buyer is going to buy a larger convertible to continue RF.

MR is RF only because of the recline. I would probably like it FF for a long trip, but my kids would be annoyed with it for daily use.

I tend to think of most convertibles as RF only. Probably because I only use them RF so far. When my kids turn FF, I buy them a combination seat, because I've got younger kids to pass RF convertibles down to.

babyherder

The only reason I'd ever get a scenera is to use it rf. I can (and did) get a combo seat with eps foam for ff for the same price as a scenera. I know eps foam isn't proven to be safer but I have a personal preference for it.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I consider the Radian a FF only seat too (although I'm using it RF, I hate it).

The Coccoro is definitely a RF only seat.

I consider the CA a RF only seat, since any of my kids would be too tall for it FF by the time they hit the RF limit.

babygirlsmom1005

i have to disagree about the radians as i have a much harder time with the ff install in my vehicle and bought it just to re-rf ds1

:yeahthat:

The RN installs like a dream in my suburban and also in our pickup RF'ing - it
is FF'ing that I have more of a difficult time with.

FLmom

I won't be using my myride or marathon FF ever. I've never even seen a CCO forward facing so I definitely only think of it as a rearfacing seat too.

emandbri

Funny because I was thinking of the radian as a rfing seat only but only because I like the nautilus so much better FF. :whistle:

Old style MA rear-facing only.

The recline on the my ride bothered me at first but not so much after seeing the reclined seats do well on the TC tests. If I could flip the seats of the van and if the cover wasn't so ugly Elizabeth would be in it now. It does have short top slots though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC