S/O- Stories of car seats saving lives

ADS

luckyclov

I wish I had one or knew of one, personally. Sadly, I know more than one story where a child (not mine) was potentially injured greater due to misuse, which is what lit my fire w/ CPS.

Last edited:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
In '98, I was driving with my friend. Her four children, ages 7, 5, 2, and a newborn, and my youngest (Fighter) who was four months old, were with us in my '97 Astro. Her two oldest were in lap-only belts, the 2-year-old was in a booster with a lap/shoulder belt, and the two babies were in RF infant seats. (BTW, they were all properly secured for our knowledge and the seats that were available at that time - the 2yo was already too tall for the 40-lb harnessed seat which was typical for back then, and of course the two older girls were "too big" for boosters, which couldn't be used with lap-only belts anyway. Infant seats were both baseless, properly installed, harnesses snug!)

A woman in a Volvo ran a red light and hit us on the passenger side doing 35-40mph. My van was pushed across two lanes of traffic and up onto a median (like a sidewalk, only in the middle of the road.) Everyone walked away with nothing more serious than bruises. :thumbsup:

I was also in another side-impact crash about two years before that one, though much lower speed. 3 kids in the back seat; the poor guy who'd hit us burst into tears when he ran over and saw the three "babies!" Everyone just fine in that crash, too.

Oh, and I have a tech-story about the kids I helped save, too. A co-worker asked me to help with her carseats so I set up a check with her. Her 3yo's carseat wasn't installed correctly (seat belt not locked) and the harness was loose. Her newborn's base wasn't installed at all - she'd been confused and hadn't routed the LATCH strap through the belt path. The only thing holding it in the car was the retainer strap. They were in a high-speed crash (50 mph) about six months later; car was totaled - but the kids were fine. :love:

oxeye

I just helped a family last weekend after they were in a crash.

Their SUV hit a patch of ice on the freeway and flipped over the divider. They had 4 kids in the car - 8, 7, 18 months, and 2 weeks.

The 8 and 7 year olds were in backless boosters. The 18 month old was in a FF Dorel 3-in-1. The 2 week old was in a Snugride 22 - the seat was ejected during the roll-over and found 40 feet from the car. Amazingly all 4 children were 100% ok, no injuries at all. :eek:

I showed the dad how to install his new seats. I tried to convince him to turn the 18 month old back RF, but it was a hard sell after he was okay FF in that crash. :( So he left FF. I would wager that the seats were improperly installed in the crash as the dad needed quite a bit of guidance installing the new ones, but amazingly they did their job.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC