Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

View Poll Results: Parkway vs. Monterey

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Monterey all the way!

8 57.14%
  • Are you high, the Parkway has the SG!

4 28.57%
  • Other (Leave a comment stating which one)

2 14.29%

Parkway Vs. Monterey

Assuming both had a good fit, which would you pick & why? It can be any reason: ease of use, fabric choices, whatever floats your boat. Any feedback would be appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Parkway Vs. Monterey

*I have tried neither* But I like the Parkway because it has Cowmoo!!!

Hillary
    Laila (1-10-05) Harmony Literider, Graco Turbobooster, Jaylee (1-24-06) Recaro ProBooster, Turbobooster, Evy (9-7-12) Radian 80SL, First Years True Fit

Monterey... it can widen... and the cupholders on it rock... and I love the depth for legs... so if a kid fits it well, it's my fav booster.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

I love the monterey except for the wings always widened on their own. SK sent me a second back and it did the same thing. I was not comfortable with that, so it went bye bye. Right now I have a parkway. I wish the arms were longer, but other than that it's a good seat. DD1 says she's comfortable in it.
    Last edited by momto3girls; 12-21-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    April Senior checker / Special needs trained
    DD1 10.5yrs Harmony cruz
    DD2 6.5yrs PKWY SG
    DD3 5yrs FF GN

I have both. I like both, but I guess I'd go with the Monterey. The sidewings widen, the cupholders are serious, and it provides a little better leg support for the bigger kids. I like the LATCH feature as well - although now the PWSGL has the same feature.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

Senior Community Member mamabear's Avatar

I like the PW better. We have an "old style" moo PW and I'm considering getting a new SG. The Monterey is just too big/top heavy looking for my taste...oh! then there is the SG.....

Regarding the leg support: My dd is allllll legs, so do you think the Monterey would be a better option?

I've tried the Monterey & the fit was great. We need to try the Parkway tomorrow & see how that is.

Thanks for the feedback!

for leg support, you really can't beat the Monterey.

Also, people have been complaining about, as kids get bigger, the Parkway's base being too narrow... so again, if the shoulderbelt is fitting nicely in the center on the Monterey, I'd go with it.

The Parkway seems to have the same issues early on with shoulderbelt fit on smaller/slimmer kids that the Monterey does, but without the wider seating pan and additional body support.

The Monterey may LOOK top heavy, but IRL, it isn't... it doesn't remotely feel that way. (can you tell that I hate the fact that Ruthie couldn't inherit her brother's because of her narrow build?? It's not perfect, but it is still one of my favorite boosters)

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

I chose the Monterey for my Mr 8 who is following the same growth pattern so far as DH who is 6'3"... loooooong legs!

We have the Australian equivalent of the Parkway down here, the Safe n Sound Hi-liner with only a 58lb weight limit but it has a top tether... I was tempted but the weight limit & lack of seat depth for his legs convinced me the Monterey was what we need.

Oh & the cupholders are a bonus here too, if you ask Mr 8, that's his favourite part on the whole seat
    Rochelle... Kiwi Mum to...

Mr D 2002 - Monterey
    Miss M 2004 - Monterey
    Miss A 2006 - ERF in a Britax TWE!

Senior Community Member CarSeatPoncho's Avatar

Hmmm. I'm torn.

We have a Monty and it fits my DS well, but I get a little nervous when I see him slouching. If the PSG had LATCH when I needed to buy a booster, I would probably definitely have gone that way (but of course, if the fit on the PSGL stunk beyond stinking I would have gone with the Monty).

If the fit were the same, I'd have gotten the Parkway.

(NOTE: I try not to kick this dilemma around too often. The PSGL came out about 5 months after I got the Monty )

www.CarSeatPoncho.com
    Keeps children safe and warm -- without a hassle!

DEMONSTRATION OF COAT COMPRESSION (Video) ..... PONCHO COLORS MATCH YOUR CAR SEAT(Click)
    Donna, CPST/Inventor, DS7 SK Monterey (Snug 22, EFT, Apex 65)

I've tried both in my vehicle with my kids. My bigger kids actually fit the monterey properly. They don't in the parkway sg, so I pick the monterey.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar
    Monterey. Though my experience in comparing the 2 with my dd and our cars is that there is no comparison between belt fit with the Monterey vs the parkway SG.

I also have never found the Monterey top heavy.

I really wanted to like the parkway, but once you've seen a perfect belt fit it's hard to settle for "just acceptable." and the parkway was just acceptable, not even what I'd consider good.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

CPS Fanatic

If the parkway provided a good belt fit without the sg clip then I would use it cause I love the red and the cow covers. However, if the fit was ok only with the sg clip I would get the Monterey. I might use the sg clip even if the fit was good without it but I want the lapbelt fit to be good without the sg clip. Just my feelings. No actual evidence for that decision.

Update: Just ordered the Monterey in pink for dd. The Parkway was TERRIBLE. Not sure if it was the seat or the placement of the seatbelt in my mom's car ('04 Santa Fe). The lap belt with the SG clip was terrible. I couldn't figure out how to get it to tighten across the lap. I just was not impressed.

I liked the Monterey better, the fit was stellar, & I think it will be easier for my parents to use. If dd likes it more than the Frontier in our cars, I might take the Monterey for my car & give the Frontier to my parents. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for the help. It was very much appreciated!

I have both and DD#1 (suuuuuper skinny) has been in the Monterey since she was 5 and 40lbs (thanks Quassee for the loaner seat!). Got the PW this past summer.

DD#1 says that the Monterey is the most comfy seat she's ever had (and, um, she's had a few! ).

So, I would have voted Monterey, but the poll is closed.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

17. Thank You from: