Juice?

Whe did you start giving juice to your kiddos?

• Between 6-9 months

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Between 9-12 months

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • After 12+ months

Votes: 38 66.7%

• Total voters
ADS

InTheWoods

After 12 mos. w/ the first, earlier w/ the second, because she always grabbing her older bro's sippy cup and downing whatever was in there.

I was a purist w/ our first, and more of a hey-whatever-keeps-the-peace with the second.

Kristin

Kristin

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I waited til after a year. He loves juice (which he calls COKE) even though it is majorly watered down (ie. 1oz juice to 8oz water). I say give her water and wait as long as possible with the juice; she doesn't know what's she's missing!

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i havent given her any...and if i could help it, i never would...but i was wondering what a good age is?

chelle80

I started Dakota and Colton both with juice at about 6m with a sippy cup only. We only put formula in bottles, even when they go to regular milk they only get that in a sippy too.
With Kaleb he was 15m before he was started on anything other than formula, he had reflux so bad that his formula was 24oz formula and 3 jars of starge 3 bananas mixed, he could not even hold down water.

Morganthe

i havent given her any...and if i could help it, i never would...but i was wondering what a good age is?

IMO, the later in age, the better due to juice's high sugar content and developing teeth. A sippy cup is similar to a bottle in this and allows the liquid to remain around the front of the mouth. If a child can drink juice from a regular cup, it is much healthier on gums and teeth. Even then I always brush after dd drinks apple juice (which she occasionally receives).

Some kids also prefer filling up on juices than eating foods. So another of my personal opinions, postpone the battle between juice & foods as long as possible :) Apples are definitely healthier than apple juice. :rolleyes:

Now Orange juice with vitamin C, + calcium & D added with all the goodness of pulpy fibre --- mmmm mmm good. Still not more than 8 oz a day. The one that I've found that doesn't set off reflux or as acidic as other brands is Minute Maid. It's also not syrupy sweet either. It's also the only type I like to drink. I'm not fond of OJ.:eek:

I started dd around 18 months with OJ for breakfast. She used her sippy cup, but I'd always brush her teeth afterwards. At 2, she used a small mug and was only allowed to drink it at the table -- not roaming around the house or getting it lost. Such a big girl. She really thrives on solid limits about where & when she can consume :D

hth :)

Last edited:

southpawboston

we started both DDs on juice (about one part juice to 10 parts water) in sippy cups at about 10-11 months. in retrospect, i think we should have just done the juice at breakfast, then water the rest of the day... that's how it will be with DD2 since she just started using a sippy cup. DD1 had the juice misture until now. we've switched DD1 to a regular cup with water only and she's only allowed to drink in the kitchen or outside.

ETA: the juice we use is either prune, apple, or orange. and only organic. and we use filtered tap water.

Splash

The only juices Charlie gets are pomegranate, occasional OJ, or vegetable (mostly carrot or sweet potato), always watered down and most of it made at home. If he is in desperate need of fluid and will take nothing else, I'll give him a Juicy Juice box, but that is supremely rare (as in, maybe once or twice a year).
I don't think there is a good time to introduce juice, because juice is of no nutritional value and is a huge component of childhood obesity. OJ, espcially with pulp, is different from other juices, but mostly fruit juices are of no benefit to a child. Hydration comes from water, there is no need for anything else.
Give her fresh fruits or even smoothies (made with just fruit and ice/water) but hold off on juice for as long as possible. Especially don't start it as an everyday thing. Juice, like all other non nutritive sweets, is an occasional treat, not a dietary staple.

ThreeBeans

My 2.5 yo gets one juice sippy a day...which is actually about 1/4 juice and 3/4 water. ;) He gets milk with meals and the rest of the time plain water.

I give the girl-baby a full cup of juice every day in a sippy...she has some serious constipation problems and it's the only thing that keeps her from getting sick, poor baby :(

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
DS1 didn't get any juice until he knew what it was to ask for it (and then only at school - where he was asking for it because the other kids were getting it at snack - probably around age 2). DS1 (just turned 1) has never had it.

They both eat tons of fruit and plenty of other junk food.
We don't buy juice at home (we stopped when I was pregnant with DS1 and had gestational diabetes. I couldn't drink juice for my last trimester and we stopped buying it. DH lost 20 pounds. He didn't realize how much he was drinking each day, but now doesn't want it in the house).

They get water and milk in sippy cups at home.

Niea

Waaay after 12 mos. My DD is 2 years now and doesn't drink juice except very rarely (like once every month or so). Even then, it's only a couple of ounces at most. She doesn't drink milk either. I think the first time she ever drank anything other than breastmilk or water was around 18 mos or so.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
You didn't have an option for "never" so I couldn't vote.

My kids get juice when we go out to eat after they are at least 3 years old. Juice is a treat, not a every day drink.

Juice is bad for teeth, has a lot of sugar (yep, even just plain old natural sugars that are in all fruits), and has zero protein, or fiber in it.

Fruit is a healthy snack, juice is not in the same dietary category.

vamom

I know it was cloder to 12 months, but ds just is not a fruit man. Everybody around me when on a nd on about only starting with veggies and lots of stuff about avoiding fruit because of it being sweet, but we never had this experience. I introduced simple, organic fruits right along side veggies (1 at a time for several days). I tried carrot juice, pear, apple, and other organic mixes. Just not ds's thing.

Other then an occasional grape or strawberry (dipped in chocolate, lol), banana or watermelon, or fruit based yogurt (prefers vanilla or banana) ds avoids fruit.

He was all about veggies until maybe 3. Like he would eat all the brocoli off a veggie platter at a party! That's pretty limited now too.

However he still loves his oatmeal and toast. All day and everyday!

arly1983

We gave juice to Camille at 3 months old :(. It was either watered down pear or prune juice for her poor tummy. Because of the galactosemia, I had to quit breastfeeding and she had to have soy formula which caused severe constipation (I am talking, hard as rock bowl movements with blood and screaming). Not what I would have done under normal circumstances. With Jackson, he was about 12 months, he much prefered breastmilk and to this day still loves iced water...

beebear23

Senior Community Member
DS was almost 2 before he had juice(and a year old when he had any refined sugar). Even now it's mostly water w/a tiny bit of juice. He likes it that way.

BudgieStew

Just shy of three years. But I am not happy about it I wanted DS to be juice free until at least school age.He gets a glass once a day IF he asks for it otherwise I don't offer.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
There needs to be a never option. We don't give our kids juice (except OJ which is homeade). I am not saying they have never had it. They have had it at bday/class parties or after a soccer game when a parent brings it for after game snacks (most bring water though). But the pre package high in suger juices we don't buy. Plus they would much rather have water or milk more then anything else.

arly1983

Oh, Are we talking about the first time they had it or when they started regualarly having it....First time, 12 months, Regularly, not yet..

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Juice is not necessary before 12 months & even then isn't necessary is proper nutrition is achieved without it.... I always dilute juice with water, even for myself.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC