Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

View Poll Results: Whe did you start giving juice to your kiddos?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Between 6-9 months

8 14.04%
  • Between 9-12 months

11 19.30%
  • After 12+ months

38 66.67%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Juice?

CPS Technician

Juice?

when did you start giving juice?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Juice?

After 12 mos. w/ the first, earlier w/ the second, because she always grabbing her older bro's sippy cup and downing whatever was in there.

I was a purist w/ our first, and more of a hey-whatever-keeps-the-peace with the second.

Kristin

Kristin
    Kristin

DS,,9y,,51",,65#,,,Monterey
    DD,,5y,,42",,41#,,,Nautilus Elite, Regent, Vivo

I waited til after a year. He loves juice (which he calls COKE) even though it is majorly watered down (ie. 1oz juice to 8oz water). I say give her water and wait as long as possible with the juice; she doesn't know what's she's missing!

CPS Technician

i havent given her any...and if i could help it, i never would...but i was wondering what a good age is?

Senior Community Member

I started Dakota and Colton both with juice at about 6m with a sippy cup only. We only put formula in bottles, even when they go to regular milk they only get that in a sippy too.
    With Kaleb he was 15m before he was started on anything other than formula, he had reflux so bad that his formula was 24oz formula and 3 jars of starge 3 bananas mixed, he could not even hold down water.
    Michelle, SAHM to Dakota (2000), Kaleb (2002),
    Colton (2006),
    & Caitlyn (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by rlsadc View Post
    i havent given her any...and if i could help it, i never would...but i was wondering what a good age is?
    IMO, the later in age, the better due to juice's high sugar content and developing teeth. A sippy cup is similar to a bottle in this and allows the liquid to remain around the front of the mouth. If a child can drink juice from a regular cup, it is much healthier on gums and teeth. Even then I always brush after dd drinks apple juice (which she occasionally receives).

Some kids also prefer filling up on juices than eating foods. So another of my personal opinions, postpone the battle between juice & foods as long as possible Apples are definitely healthier than apple juice.

Now Orange juice with vitamin C, + calcium & D added with all the goodness of pulpy fibre --- mmmm mmm good. Still not more than 8 oz a day. The one that I've found that doesn't set off reflux or as acidic as other brands is Minute Maid. It's also not syrupy sweet either. It's also the only type I like to drink. I'm not fond of OJ.

I started dd around 18 months with OJ for breakfast. She used her sippy cup, but I'd always brush her teeth afterwards. At 2, she used a small mug and was only allowed to drink it at the table -- not roaming around the house or getting it lost. Such a big girl. She really thrives on solid limits about where & when she can consume

hth
    Last edited by Morganthe; 04-19-2007 at 06:24 PM. Reason: can't spell -- wonky fingers
    My Munchkin -- Nov 2008--5 years, 45.5", 42lbs
    Current Stats: 12 years old /5'5/ 115lbs/ Seatbelt

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Phillip K. Dick

CPS Fanatic

we started both DDs on juice (about one part juice to 10 parts water) in sippy cups at about 10-11 months. in retrospect, i think we should have just done the juice at breakfast, then water the rest of the day... that's how it will be with DD2 since she just started using a sippy cup. DD1 had the juice misture until now. we've switched DD1 to a regular cup with water only and she's only allowed to drink in the kitchen or outside.

ETA: the juice we use is either prune, apple, or orange. and only organic. and we use filtered tap water.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

The only juices Charlie gets are pomegranate, occasional OJ, or vegetable (mostly carrot or sweet potato), always watered down and most of it made at home. If he is in desperate need of fluid and will take nothing else, I'll give him a Juicy Juice box, but that is supremely rare (as in, maybe once or twice a year).
    I don't think there is a good time to introduce juice, because juice is of no nutritional value and is a huge component of childhood obesity. OJ, espcially with pulp, is different from other juices, but mostly fruit juices are of no benefit to a child. Hydration comes from water, there is no need for anything else.
    Give her fresh fruits or even smoothies (made with just fruit and ice/water) but hold off on juice for as long as possible. Especially don't start it as an everyday thing. Juice, like all other non nutritive sweets, is an occasional treat, not a dietary staple.
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you. 
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.  

CPS Fanatic

My 2.5 yo gets one juice sippy a day...which is actually about 1/4 juice and 3/4 water. He gets milk with meals and the rest of the time plain water.

I give the girl-baby a full cup of juice every day in a sippy...she has some serious constipation problems and it's the only thing that keeps her from getting sick, poor baby

CPS Fanatic

Oh, they only get organic juices. Grape or apple, usually. Because I am a nut like that

Admin - CPS Technician

DS1 didn't get any juice until he knew what it was to ask for it (and then only at school - where he was asking for it because the other kids were getting it at snack - probably around age 2). DS1 (just turned 1) has never had it.

They both eat tons of fruit and plenty of other junk food.
    We don't buy juice at home (we stopped when I was pregnant with DS1 and had gestational diabetes. I couldn't drink juice for my last trimester and we stopped buying it. DH lost 20 pounds. He didn't realize how much he was drinking each day, but now doesn't want it in the house).

They get water and milk in sippy cups at home.

Waaay after 12 mos. My DD is 2 years now and doesn't drink juice except very rarely (like once every month or so). Even then, it's only a couple of ounces at most. She doesn't drink milk either. I think the first time she ever drank anything other than breastmilk or water was around 18 mos or so.

Senior Community Member

You didn't have an option for "never" so I couldn't vote.

My kids get juice when we go out to eat after they are at least 3 years old. Juice is a treat, not a every day drink.

Juice is bad for teeth, has a lot of sugar (yep, even just plain old natural sugars that are in all fruits), and has zero protein, or fiber in it.

Fruit is a healthy snack, juice is not in the same dietary category.
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

Carseat Crazy

I know it was cloder to 12 months, but ds just is not a fruit man. Everybody around me when on a nd on about only starting with veggies and lots of stuff about avoiding fruit because of it being sweet, but we never had this experience. I introduced simple, organic fruits right along side veggies (1 at a time for several days). I tried carrot juice, pear, apple, and other organic mixes. Just not ds's thing.

Other then an occasional grape or strawberry (dipped in chocolate, lol), banana or watermelon, or fruit based yogurt (prefers vanilla or banana) ds avoids fruit.

He was all about veggies until maybe 3. Like he would eat all the brocoli off a veggie platter at a party! That's pretty limited now too.

However he still loves his oatmeal and toast. All day and everyday!

Senior Community Member

We gave juice to Camille at 3 months old . It was either watered down pear or prune juice for her poor tummy. Because of the galactosemia, I had to quit breastfeeding and she had to have soy formula which caused severe constipation (I am talking, hard as rock bowl movements with blood and screaming). Not what I would have done under normal circumstances. With Jackson, he was about 12 months, he much prefered breastmilk and to this day still loves iced water...
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

CPS Technician

DS was almost 2 before he had juice(and a year old when he had any refined sugar). Even now it's mostly water w/a tiny bit of juice. He likes it that way.
    Janice, no longer a CPST, and now a single Mommy to C, 10 and big enough to pass the 5-step test and S(born 12/9/09), in a Roundabout 50.

Senior Community Member BudgieStew's Avatar

Just shy of three years. But I am not happy about it I wanted DS to be juice free until at least school age.He gets a glass once a day IF he asks for it otherwise I don't offer.
    *DD N 5 Years 46 inches/44 lbs FF in a Marathon/Parkway SG/Turbo Booster/ and Harnessed Nautilus
    *DS H 7 Years 49 inches/51 lbs in a Monterey and Turbo Booster
    and a Harmony and Radian as back up seats

CPST Instructor

There needs to be a never option. We don't give our kids juice (except OJ which is homeade). I am not saying they have never had it. They have had it at bday/class parties or after a soccer game when a parent brings it for after game snacks (most bring water though). But the pre package high in suger juices we don't buy. Plus they would much rather have water or milk more then anything else.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

Senior Community Member

Oh, Are we talking about the first time they had it or when they started regualarly having it....First time, 12 months, Regularly, not yet..
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

Juice is not necessary before 12 months & even then isn't necessary is proper nutrition is achieved without it.... I always dilute juice with water, even for myself.
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}