Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Radian XT or Britax Advocate?

I had decided I was going to get a Raidan XTSL and then I discovered that you can only get the Radian XT in Canada.

From what I can tell the XT has a height limit of 44" (from the manual) in RF and I don't think the XTSL has this limit... So the Britax has a higher RFing height limit but I know that it is not as roomy...

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on choosing between the older Radian XT which is available in Canada or the Britax Advocate. ERF is very important to me.

Thanks!

EDIT - my little guy is pretty tall for his age (I think) and is approaching 30" at 5 months.

EDIT again - meant to say Advocate
    Last edited by gina8177; 12-20-2010 at 08:41 PM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Radian XT or Britax Advantage?

For ERF, hands down the XT if it installs well in your vehicle. Your child will have more leg room and a taller shell height.
    Jessi, CPST: 2003 Honda Pilot, 2010 Toyota Corolla
    T 12/12/06 49" 55 lbs D 1/8/09 44" 50 lbs
    In Use:2 PKWY SGLs, FR80, GN, HB TB Teaching seats: Titan 65, Lite Rider Retired: Wizard, 2 33 lb MA's, 2 50 lb CAs, 3 XTSLs, Regent
    PetBuckle Review Here

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Do you mean Britax Advocate? The Advantage was tiny, and they're all long expired (Piper had two when she was born, and they were discontinued in 2003).

I'd do the Radian and happily disregard the stated height limit rear facing.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Re: Radian XT or Britax Advocate?

Thanks!

I did mean Advocate, sorry my brain isn't working well tonight as I'm sick!

Another quick question, I was planning on buying while we were home for Xmas to save tax but only have our truck here. We have a 2005 buick allure/lacrosse. I feel like it should fit as it's very spacious in the back. Do you think that it should be ok in a mid size or should I wait?

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Should be fine.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

Radian for sure. The Radian XT in Canada has the SuperLatch (what SL in the XTSL) stands for. Not sure why they market it with a different name up here.

My DS is 4.5, 42" tall and is RF in a Radian XT and has a few inches above his head for growth. His torso is too tall to RF in an older style Marathon and has been for a while and his legs would be very folded if he was (which isn't a safety issue but it can be a bit more challenging getting them in). From what I've read he would be too tall in all of the new Britax convertible seats as well.
    DS 06/2006 - Diono Monterey, Turbo Booster (for now - still shopping)
    DD 09/2008 - FF Marathon, Diono Monterey

Thanks! We purchased and installed our seat, it's fantastic! I am going to post a another question.

Just wanted to add that I phoned Sunshine Kids and the US and CDN seats are identical, the difference in weight/height limits is just per CDN and US regulations.

Glad you love it! I have both a Britax MA and Radian XT and the difference in leg room is huge! it's quite the challenge getting my 2.5yo average sized DS into the seat without breaking a sweat LOL.

I love that the Radian's sides are so low profile compared to the Britax. No more head bumps

It took me a bit of getting used to the harness adjustment but it's by far my favorite seat available in Canada!