done with first day of class.....

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
it was...eh..I guess about what i expected, but I was hoping for better.
The class is 7 nurses, 4 cops, 1 OB clinic director, and me.

mostly, it was good info...but honestly, with 1 hour and the book, I could have learned everything we learned today. I clearly already know a lot more than any of the other class members...

The lead teacher is annoying but a couple of the asst's are cool.

a couple of things that did make me go "wha?"

the lead instructor made disparaging remarks about britax, saying they are too big and bulky and unwieldy, way too expoensive, and techs hate them because they are annoying, and she hates them.

the lead inst also , when talking about FF seats, said (and this is nearly a direct quote) " most only go to 40 pounds, although some go to 48 or 50 pounds, and i think 1, the husky, goes to 80."
I hate to bite my tongue not to say anything to her about it....but later, i did say to her privately that i knew of at least 5 seats that could harness to 65, and 2 that could harness til 80, she totally brushed me off with a "really?" and then turned back to her friends. (she spends most of the time chatting with her nurse friends and ignoring those of us who aren't nurses)

One of the cop instructors said that Britax seats are okay, but "way too expensive" and then someone asked how expensive, and he said "well, a roundabout goes for $250-$400.." I didn't manage to hold my tongue that time and blurted out "no!" He then asked me, and I told him the prices for the entire britax line, LOL!

Same cop instructor said he also hates to recommend britax because they are the "only carseat company that won't give you a free replacement seat if one gets damaged in an accident"
I was pretty sure that was complete hooey, but didn't know enough to be sure and speak up about it..??

So, with those comments coupled with the "we are so smart and superior and the idiotic "parents" we are trying to help are so stupid and incompetent" aura that surrounds ALL social work/nursing/social service trainings i have ever gone to in my career, I was fairly thoroughly annoyed by the day's end. But then at the end of the day they gave us each a lovely old carrseat with no manual, and we had to tear it completeyl apart and then put it back together, and i totally rocked at it while everyone else fumbled. (okay, so i did just happen to be given the seat i used for dd when she was younger, HEEHEE)

Hoping tomorrow goes well....they are gonna use my van tomorrow, so I've gotta go clean!

ADS

ThreeBeans

Maybe I shouldn't go to tech class. Anyone who knows me knows I am not famed for keeping my mouth shut. :whistle:

Seriously, I would have been dancing around with pure rage at those idiotic comments. They would probably have to gag and muzzle me.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Actually, I think Britax is the ONLY one that WILL give you a free carseat (in some cases) if damaged in an accident!

Sounds like you are the most informed in the class - I felt that way too. Actually, one of my instructors recently told me that I do know way more than she does and that she wants me to start on my instructor application.

Have fun the rest of the week!!
Renee

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I can see me having issues keeping my mouth shut.

At least my instructor already knows me, and knows that I like and know my "pricey" seats.

And no company "gives" replacement seats, but both Safeguard and Britax have programs where they might exchange the seat.

Graco requires replacement in any accident.
Evenflo requires that you discontinue use immediatly and contact them.
Safeguard says that it should be replaced.
Compass goes by NHTSA.
Britax goes by NHTSA.

I don't know about Cosco.

scatterbunny

Hehe, I can relate. :p Just take deep breaths, speak up when you feel the rest of the class needs to know the REAL DEAL ;) and have a great time!

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
:rolleyes: yea ive learned not everyone is as smart as we are lol...

i have a hard time keeping my mouth shut...well see how my classes go...lol..good luck!

TheRealMacGyver

I've had more classes that ended up like that than didn't. I always tell myself that if I can take just one thing with me from the class, then it was worth it. Keep updating us though, I want to hear more.

gwenvet

Kind of sounds like we're all made from the same mold! I would have trouble staying quiet too! I really hope that a class crops up for next fall when Ari can be in preschool full time.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Just wanted to jumo in and add that the instructiors did let us know we are the LAST CLASS (in our area)to go through with the "old" training....apparently, starting June 1rst, it will be diffferent, they will be organizing some of the training materials differently, and instead of 1 big test at the end, there will be 3 shorter quizzes throughout training.....Part of me is bummed I didnb;t know that before, but I'm glad to just get it done so i can be a tech!!

Also, my boss said she is going to try and write a grant to be able to pay me through my current PT job to be able to teach child pass. safety and do car seat checks for our clients!! (I work in a program with pregnant teens and teen moms) So thinngs are looking bright!!

I managed to remove the largest portion of filth from my vehicle, and must now shower and collapse..(hopefully i make it to the bed before collapsing, but that is not a given!)

I'll keep you updated!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
While they might think of you as a snotty know-it-all (many of mine did although I'm so not the confrontational or take-the-lead type personality :rolleyes:) anything that is said which actually goes against the curriculum MUST be addressed in front of the class ... otherwise all these people will be going out into the "field" giving parents more incorrect info :( Even if they don't agree with you (bring printouts, we'll help, LOL) at least it'll get them thinking :whistle:

Doesn't sound like anything was against curriculum so far, but I would still try to bring up the truth of the issues about accurate limits, pricing, policies, etc.

GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN :)

JaRylan

Good luck with the rest of the class. Frustrating about the instructor. I had my seat checked today and the tech will be one of the intructors for the course. So far anyone I've talked to thinks it is pretty neat that a parent is taking the course. We'll see how they all feel about it when they realize there will be two carseat compassionate parents in one class (Aidensmom02 is coming in from out of province to take the class with me). :ROTFLMAO: We'll take turns tag-teaming them with questions. It would be a triple threat if Jewels could join us.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC