Foam Broke Off Coccoro

Jonah Baby

Brand new Coccoro. Second time I removed it from the box, put it in Mom's car to try and install it, then went to remove it and heard SNAP.
A palm-sized piece of foam broke off. It came from about where an infant's ribs would line up with in the seat, the lower piece of foam not upper.

I called Combi. They said take it back to the store you bought it from.
Well, I didn't buy it from a store (bought it BNIB off here) and no store around me carries the CCO.
I called BRU, who carries them online, explained the situation, and they said "nope, can't help you since we don't have them IN store."

Now what?
I need to either use or sell this seat. Can't do either at the moment!

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Call Combi back and tell them you received it as a gift from someone who lives out of state. Tell them that there are no stores around you that sell it and you need it fixed.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Call Combi back and tell them you received it as a gift from someone who lives out of state. Tell them that there are no stores around you that sell it and you need it fixed.

This is a good suggestion. They have to have replacement foam they can sell you.

lovemybabies924

oh no!! i know this sounds bad but could you buy a new one from babiesrus and then return the broken one? its not fair for combi to not stand behind their product!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've had great Combi CS experience. I think you should call back and explain that the seat is not returnable. I explained as much about my Flash and they were happy to exchange it for me rather than having the store do it, though it took a little time.

lovemybabies924

i bet combi would sell you the foam for $9 shipped :) now that i think of it they were great when i needed a part for my stroller...just had to pay shipping...(i ended up just returning the stroller tho since it was new)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I've had great Combi CS experience. I think you should call back and explain that the seat is not returnable. I explained as much about my Flash and they were happy to exchange it for me rather than having the store do it, though it took a little time.

I agree.

Jonah Baby

i bet combi would sell you the foam for $9 shipped :) now that i think of it they were great when i needed a part for my stroller...just had to pay shipping...(i ended up just returning the stroller tho since it was new)

So...people normally pay extra money to replace parts on brand new carseats?
I thought it was customary to buy something and expect it to work as is. My mistake.

crunchierthanthou

Here's the deal on the seat you bought- Combi gave it to that person for free out of kindness (if it's the BNIB one I'm thinking of). You didn't buy from an authorized retailer. They kind of do have the right to say you're out of luck. :shrug-shoulders:

That being said, my experiences with Combi customer service have been nothing but great. That piece broke on mine as well. They don't stock that piece as a replacement part- or didn't at they time. They shipped me a new seat, but I had to provide pictures of the issue and a receipt for purchase.

Jonah Baby

Here's the deal on the seat you bought- Combi gave it to that person for free out of kindness (if it's the BNIB one I'm thinking of). You didn't buy from an authorized retailer. They kind of do have the right to say you're out of luck. :shrug-shoulders:

That being said, my experiences with Combi customer service have been nothing but great. That piece broke on mine as well. They don't stock that piece as a replacement part- or didn't at they time. They shipped me a new seat, but I had to provide pictures of the issue and a receipt for purchase.

I can understand why they may say such, but it would still be a "defective product" no matter WHO owned it - bought from a retailer, gifted, transferred, sold, whatever. If it had happened to the person Combi gifted it to, would they tell her she's out of luck, just deal with the free broken carseat?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Again, one of the caveats of buying privately is that you have much less recourse. Did you know that the seat had been donated and not purchased?

I think both you and Combi are in a tough spot here. You have a defective seat and that stinks for you. But as I understand it, they are not bound by warranty on this seat since it was not originally purchased from an authorized retailer.

crunchierthanthou

I can understand why they may say such, but it would still be a "defective product" no matter WHO owned it - bought from a retailer, gifted, transferred, sold, whatever. If it had happened to the person Combi gifted it to, would they tell her she's out of luck, just deal with the free broken carseat?

I can't say whether they'd send a replacement to the original recipient or just say that it's a bummer. There's really no way to know.

I honestly don't see it as defective. EPS is brittle. It breaks. It is nice to have on seats, but it's often a casualty of installation and handling. I do see it as a failure on Combi's part to not make it a replaceable piece, but it's down near the child's hips. I view that particular piece as a perk and not vital to the integrity of the seat. As a second hand consumer, you really don't have much recourse. As other manufacturers have advised for out of warranty seats, tape it back in place and go on your way. :twocents:

lovemybabies924

So...people normally pay extra money to replace parts on brand new carseats?
I thought it was customary to buy something and expect it to work as is. My mistake.

well thats why i returned the stroller..it came to me NIB missing a part, and combi was gonna make me pay shipping for the replacement part (even tho i had a receipt that was less than a week old and the stroller had all tags attached), so i just returned it to the store and got something used for less off craigslist that came w/all parts.

dawnp15

I think a lot of companies have the same policy. Say you buy a brand new Bum Genius cloth diaper off craigslist or diaperswappers. You wash the dipe and a snap comes off, so you now have a defective dipe and no receipt. Cotton babies/Bum genius will not replace it for you since your not the original owner with a receipt. It stinks but its the risk you take in saving a few bucks buying second hand. :twocents:

Pixels

Combi products, when purchased from an authorized retailer, are
warranted to the original purchaser to be free of defect in materials and
workmanship for a period of one (1) year from date of purchase. Warranty
is valid for products purchased and used in the U.S. only and used in
compliance with the warrantor’s use and maintenance instructions. Save
your carton and receipt in case return for warranty service is necessary.
Emphasis mine.

You're out of luck as far as warranty replacement. Now, it would be good customer service for Combi to replace it if the DOM is less than a year old (in case the original purchaser lost their receipt), but it's certainly not required.

I agree with PP, tape the foam back in place.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC