Strangest way that a kid is outgrowing a seat..

mommyof3tx

I have a friend who isn't very car seat savvy at all. She has bought a million car seats but really doesn't understand the limits well and all that. Her daughter is almost 2 and almost 40lbs and she has her in a myride. She put up pics on her FB today and asked me to look at them when we were on the phone earlier and how she is about to have to buy her a new seat because she's outgrowing it. She is FF but luckily all pics I've seen have had chest clip and straps right, I was able to get her to keep her RF until about 18mo but she won't quit going on about her legs no matter how many times I tell her it's fine for her to sit cross legged or however she needs, at least she's in the FF seat correctly I guess. But She has miles above her head in the MyRide and is below the 2nd to top slots for the harness and knowing almost 40lbs...she has tons of room to grow in that seat so I told her that she didn't have to get another seat right now. And she insists she is outgrowing the seat because her legs are starting to hang over the edge of the car seat :confused: I tried telling her that is supposed to happen as they grow lol and it's going to happen in every seat and that the Myride is pretty deep if it happens in that seat most others it's going to by now too but she swears it's being outgrown because of it. I have never heard such a crazy thing lol, I just let it go, no point in arguing at least she uses the seat properly, hopefully she does the next one too...crazy.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Have her look in the manual at the drawing of the FF kid, who obviously has it's legs hanging over the edge :)

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Too funny, it's a car seat, not a Barcalounger! Where does she think her legs should go? The MyRide's about as deep as they get, so she wouldn't be able to solve that problem with any other seat. That's just what happens.

mommyof3tx

Yeah I just thought it was so crazy, of course her legs are going to go over the edge. I remember her vaguely talking about it with her older son too but I didn't pay much attention then. But you'd think with her 5yr old she'd realize that's just what happens?

Kobain's Mommy

That has to be the oddest thing I've heard. DS's legs are starting to over hang his SS1 and SR32 if he has them straightend out. But he's got about 3+" growth on top.

AnnaC

Um, it's a seat. You know, for your butt to sit in. Seats are not necessarily supposed to contain the legs.

How funny. :)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm guessing she has magic-bubble syndrome. She's visualizing her child being safely "contained" in the magic-bubble of the carseat in a crash, so if her legs are outside that bubble, they're not safe!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC