Evenflo Car Seats - I have $500 to spend for our Foster assoc!

MamaRia

I am a foster parent and our Foster assoc gets a discount on Evenflo car seats. I was given the task to decide what kind and how many of what to get! I want to get the most bang for my buck but also make wise choices.

I feel the crux of the money should be spent on convertibles and some high back boosters and maybe a few infant buckets. It's basically all of what Evenflo offers. Some infants come with bases, others do not and some are back adjust (boo) but of course the stripped down ones are less money.

I will list quickly what we can choose from:
First Choice
Discovery
Embrace
Serenade
Titan
Tribute 5
Triumph Advance LX
Momentum 65
Maestro
Express
Generations 65
Maestro w/out harness
Big Kid
Sightseer
Big Kid AMP
Symphony 65

Prices range from First Choice (no base, no canopy, rear adj) for $35 to the Symphony 65 for $131.99

Again I want to make the wisest choices possible to fit a variety of kids. Most kids that come in to care are probably toddlers to school age.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would not buy any infant seats. I'd get Titans for little ones and Maestros for big kids and a few Big Kid boosters.

jjordan

I would skip infant seats altogether and get convertibles that work with newborns instead. So, tributes for anyone rearfacing, maestros for anyone forward facing who is not ready for a booster, and then some boosters (although I'm not familiar enough with those to choose which ones).

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Are these going to be for long term use? Or for all different kids, short term use? Because I'm thinking infinite slide harnesses will be easier to deal with and less chance for misuse. I'd probably do EFTAs, maybe one or two infant carriers IF they have bases and front adjust (but only if you're in an extreme weather locale), and definitely a Maestro or two and a couple of boosters.

MamaRia

First off thank you for all your replies! This really helps me narrow things down.

A few answers and info:

Most likely these seats will be used for the life of the placement. Some kids are in care for only a few months, others more like a year - and possibly longer. Some kids will remain in the same family for adoption - so those would be long term. Some will go home to birth family - and I'd hope the seat could go with them too if it still fits them (though that is entirely up to the foster family).

When the child is no longer in care - they can either hang on to the seat for their next placement or bring it back to us to be used by another foster parent. I have the job of making sure the seat has all it's parts, is not expired, is clean, and has not been in an accident. Of course i have to rely on the word of the foster parent (I don't know all of them and it always changes!) but I'm thinking of implementing a 'check in/check out' system so I know where each particular seat goes - so I'd have to label the seats permanently to make that happen.

mommy-medic

I know our SK coalition doesn't give out infant seats- in the grand scheme of things they are outgrown very quickly and more easily abused (banged around, used FFing improperly, used as an "all the time" baby seat and have bottles propped, spitup, etc.) We give out Titans, and they are inexpensive (allowing us to get a higher number of seats) and last the kiddos a long time. :twocents: (we have a variety of boosters so can't help with that one).

babyherder

I'd get convertibles that fit newborns, Maestros, and then whatever booster provides the best belt fit on most kids. I'd be hesitant with the big kid cause it provides a poor belt fit on many kids. Is the Amp any better?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd get Titans, Maestros, and Big Kids for the main-- but with a few Amps and Triumph Advances thrown in.

lovemybabies924

i would skip any infant carriers as well..they are more likely to be used and abused..if the foster family cant live w/out one they can buy one on their own :)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think an efta is a great idea for the infinite harness! a maestro too and a big kid of course..would be good choices for older kids

Even at program prices, EFTA/EFT65s are going to take a big chunk of a $500 budget. I guess I feel that infinite harnesses are a luxury (especially if the seats are staying with specific kids) and not the best choice for program seats.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep. I'd get a EFTA or Symphony or two for those kids who are really tall and a Titan just won't keep them RF to a year plus-- but other than that, stick with the cheapies to get the most seats available.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Even at program prices, EFTA/EFT65s are going to take a big chunk of a $500 budget. I guess I feel that infinite harnesses are a luxury (especially if the seats are staying with specific kids) and not the best choice for program seats.

I totally agree. Hard to justify spending more than 1/5 of the total budget on just ONE seat. Remember that you have to cover the cost of *freight* shipping too. These orders are usually shipped in pallets on freight trucks.

IMO, stick with Titans or even Tributes (which are cheaper than Titans) for the kids that are under the age of 2 or 3. FYI, the newest Tribute model has 4 sets of harness slots, a better harness adjuster mechanism (the same one they use on the Titan) and is rated to 35 lbs RF. But don't assume that you'll get the newest models if you order the Tribute - call or email your Evenflo rep to confirm if they are the newer models with the 4 sets of harness slots. If not, skip the Tribute and go with the Titan.

I agree with Maestros for all ff kids over the age of 2/3 who weigh less than 50 lbs.

Boosters - best bang for the buck is the backless BigKid (40-100 lbs) which comes 4 to a box. Highback models would be nice but a $500 budget doesn't go very far so you have to consider what types of seats are needed most. If you can justify spending more for highback boosters (or justify getting fewer HBBs as opposed to more LBBs) then go for it. Just AVOID the Sightseer HBB at all costs if that one is still offered. Also, the Maestro is now offered as a HBB without the harness (but only thru this Evenflo Institutional Sales program) so that may be another booster to consider. However, it won't be the last BPB that the kid ever needs since it isn't particularly tall. Personally, I'd rather give someone a Big Kid HBB that can be used with the back initially and without the back down the road and know that they're covered. But for a program with a very limited budget, I wouldn't have a problem with backless boosters for the kids who were too tall or too heavy for the Maestro harness.

Good luck! HTH!

MamaRia

I totally agree. Hard to justify spending more than 1/5 of the total budget on just ONE seat. Remember that you have to cover the cost of *freight* shipping too. These orders are usually shipped in pallets on freight trucks.

IMO, stick with Titans or even Tributes (which are cheaper than Titans) for the kids that are under the age of 2 or 3. FYI, the newest Tribute model has 4 sets of harness slots, a better harness adjuster mechanism (the same one they use on the Titan) and is rated to 35 lbs RF. But don't assume that you'll get the newest models if you order the Tribute - call or email your Evenflo rep to confirm if they are the newer models with the 4 sets of harness slots. If not, skip the Tribute and go with the Titan.

I agree with Maestros for all ff kids over the age of 2/3 who weigh less than 50 lbs.

Boosters - best bang for the buck is the backless BigKid (40-100 lbs) which comes 4 to a box. Highback models would be nice but a $500 budget doesn't go very far so you have to consider what types of seats are needed most. If you can justify spending more for highback boosters (or justify getting fewer HBBs as opposed to more LBBs) then go for it. Just AVOID the Sightseer HBB at all costs if that one is still offered. Also, the Maestro is now offered as a HBB without the harness (but only thru this Evenflo Institutional Sales program) so that may be another booster to consider. However, it won't be the last BPB that the kid ever needs since it isn't particularly tall. Personally, I'd rather give someone a Big Kid HBB that can be used with the back initially and without the back down the road and know that they're covered. But for a program with a very limited budget, I wouldn't have a problem with backless boosters for the kids who were too tall or too heavy for the Maestro harness.

Good luck! HTH!

VERY helpful - you don't know how much I appreciate this! I am taking notes and will try to find out about the Tribute harness slots. However on the sheet is says it only RF to 30lbs so I'd guess they are the older stock. I will also nix the Sightseer.
I probably won't get any infant seats - only because I don't like Evenflo infant seats and feel they are not user friendly - at all.

I will be getting the info to the coordinator after the holidays so I may be back for more questions if need be.

Thank you ALL for your replies - super helpful to help me sort out what to get!

Maria

MamaRia

Titans are $48. I will talk with the coordinator about this too - perhaps we can spend some money locally too - it' s worth finding out.

Thanks!

OH and I also remember her saying "we have to spend AT LEAST $500"- so I think I have a cushion to spend more. I will find out our exact parameters after the holidays.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC