Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Evenflo Car Seats - I have $500 to spend for our Foster assoc!

I am a foster parent and our Foster assoc gets a discount on Evenflo car seats. I was given the task to decide what kind and how many of what to get! I want to get the most bang for my buck but also make wise choices.

I feel the crux of the money should be spent on convertibles and some high back boosters and maybe a few infant buckets. It's basically all of what Evenflo offers. Some infants come with bases, others do not and some are back adjust (boo) but of course the stripped down ones are less money.

I will list quickly what we can choose from:
    First Choice
    Discovery
    Embrace
    Serenade
    Titan
    Tribute 5
    Triumph Advance LX
    Momentum 65
    Maestro
    Express
    Generations 65
    Maestro w/out harness
    Big Kid
    Sightseer
    Big Kid AMP
    Symphony 65

Prices range from First Choice (no base, no canopy, rear adj) for $35 to the Symphony 65 for $131.99

Again I want to make the wisest choices possible to fit a variety of kids. Most kids that come in to care are probably toddlers to school age.

Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by MamaRia; 12-20-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: forgot to put in the Express booster

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Re: Evenflo Car Seats - I have $500 to spend for our Foster assoc!

I would not buy any infant seats. I'd get Titans for little ones and Maestros for big kids and a few Big Kid boosters.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Moderator - CPS Technician

I would skip infant seats altogether and get convertibles that work with newborns instead. So, tributes for anyone rearfacing, maestros for anyone forward facing who is not ready for a booster, and then some boosters (although I'm not familiar enough with those to choose which ones).
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

Are these going to be for long term use? Or for all different kids, short term use? Because I'm thinking infinite slide harnesses will be easier to deal with and less chance for misuse. I'd probably do EFTAs, maybe one or two infant carriers IF they have bases and front adjust (but only if you're in an extreme weather locale), and definitely a Maestro or two and a couple of boosters.
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

I'd skip infant seats... get tributes or titans, Maestros, and Evenflo Big Kids

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

First off thank you for all your replies! This really helps me narrow things down.

A few answers and info:

Most likely these seats will be used for the life of the placement. Some kids are in care for only a few months, others more like a year - and possibly longer. Some kids will remain in the same family for adoption - so those would be long term. Some will go home to birth family - and I'd hope the seat could go with them too if it still fits them (though that is entirely up to the foster family).

When the child is no longer in care - they can either hang on to the seat for their next placement or bring it back to us to be used by another foster parent. I have the job of making sure the seat has all it's parts, is not expired, is clean, and has not been in an accident. Of course i have to rely on the word of the foster parent (I don't know all of them and it always changes!) but I'm thinking of implementing a 'check in/check out' system so I know where each particular seat goes - so I'd have to label the seats permanently to make that happen.

CPS Technician

Titans, Maestros, and Big Kids.

Can you get with your agency to try to figure out numbers?
    Rolling around town with my best friends:
    DS (7), DD (6), DS (5), and DS (3)

I know our SK coalition doesn't give out infant seats- in the grand scheme of things they are outgrown very quickly and more easily abused (banged around, used FFing improperly, used as an "all the time" baby seat and have bottles propped, spitup, etc.) We give out Titans, and they are inexpensive (allowing us to get a higher number of seats) and last the kiddos a long time. (we have a variety of boosters so can't help with that one).

CPS Fanatic

I'd get convertibles that fit newborns, Maestros, and then whatever booster provides the best belt fit on most kids. I'd be hesitant with the big kid cause it provides a poor belt fit on many kids. Is the Amp any better?

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I'd get Titans, Maestros, and Big Kids for the main-- but with a few Amps and Triumph Advances thrown in.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

i would skip any infant carriers as well..they are more likely to be used and abused..if the foster family cant live w/out one they can buy one on their own
    *STACY* Mom to: Sage-9, Nevaeh-6.5, Junior-5, Nayeli-1.5

I think an efta is a great idea for the infinite harness! a maestro too and a big kid of course..would be good choices for older kids
    Julianna 8/15/02,Adult seat belt Fiona 12/1/05 Harmony backless booster Nolan 8/3/08 ffing in a maestro, and booster training in a vivo seat re-arranging at the moment

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babywearing Meghan View Post
    I think an efta is a great idea for the infinite harness! a maestro too and a big kid of course..would be good choices for older kids
    Even at program prices, EFTA/EFT65s are going to take a big chunk of a $500 budget. I guess I feel that infinite harnesses are a luxury (especially if the seats are staying with specific kids) and not the best choice for program seats.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Yep. I'd get a EFTA or Symphony or two for those kids who are really tall and a Titan just won't keep them RF to a year plus-- but other than that, stick with the cheapies to get the most seats available.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
    Even at program prices, EFTA/EFT65s are going to take a big chunk of a $500 budget. I guess I feel that infinite harnesses are a luxury (especially if the seats are staying with specific kids) and not the best choice for program seats.
    I totally agree. Hard to justify spending more than 1/5 of the total budget on just ONE seat. Remember that you have to cover the cost of *freight* shipping too. These orders are usually shipped in pallets on freight trucks.

IMO, stick with Titans or even Tributes (which are cheaper than Titans) for the kids that are under the age of 2 or 3. FYI, the newest Tribute model has 4 sets of harness slots, a better harness adjuster mechanism (the same one they use on the Titan) and is rated to 35 lbs RF. But don't assume that you'll get the newest models if you order the Tribute - call or email your Evenflo rep to confirm if they are the newer models with the 4 sets of harness slots. If not, skip the Tribute and go with the Titan.

I agree with Maestros for all ff kids over the age of 2/3 who weigh less than 50 lbs.

Boosters - best bang for the buck is the backless BigKid (40-100 lbs) which comes 4 to a box. Highback models would be nice but a $500 budget doesn't go very far so you have to consider what types of seats are needed most. If you can justify spending more for highback boosters (or justify getting fewer HBBs as opposed to more LBBs) then go for it. Just AVOID the Sightseer HBB at all costs if that one is still offered. Also, the Maestro is now offered as a HBB without the harness (but only thru this Evenflo Institutional Sales program) so that may be another booster to consider. However, it won't be the last BPB that the kid ever needs since it isn't particularly tall. Personally, I'd rather give someone a Big Kid HBB that can be used with the back initially and without the back down the road and know that they're covered. But for a program with a very limited budget, I wouldn't have a problem with backless boosters for the kids who were too tall or too heavy for the Maestro harness.

Good luck! HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Kecia View Post
    I totally agree. Hard to justify spending more than 1/5 of the total budget on just ONE seat. Remember that you have to cover the cost of *freight* shipping too. These orders are usually shipped in pallets on freight trucks.

IMO, stick with Titans or even Tributes (which are cheaper than Titans) for the kids that are under the age of 2 or 3. FYI, the newest Tribute model has 4 sets of harness slots, a better harness adjuster mechanism (the same one they use on the Titan) and is rated to 35 lbs RF. But don't assume that you'll get the newest models if you order the Tribute - call or email your Evenflo rep to confirm if they are the newer models with the 4 sets of harness slots. If not, skip the Tribute and go with the Titan.

I agree with Maestros for all ff kids over the age of 2/3 who weigh less than 50 lbs.

Boosters - best bang for the buck is the backless BigKid (40-100 lbs) which comes 4 to a box. Highback models would be nice but a $500 budget doesn't go very far so you have to consider what types of seats are needed most. If you can justify spending more for highback boosters (or justify getting fewer HBBs as opposed to more LBBs) then go for it. Just AVOID the Sightseer HBB at all costs if that one is still offered. Also, the Maestro is now offered as a HBB without the harness (but only thru this Evenflo Institutional Sales program) so that may be another booster to consider. However, it won't be the last BPB that the kid ever needs since it isn't particularly tall. Personally, I'd rather give someone a Big Kid HBB that can be used with the back initially and without the back down the road and know that they're covered. But for a program with a very limited budget, I wouldn't have a problem with backless boosters for the kids who were too tall or too heavy for the Maestro harness.

Good luck! HTH!
    VERY helpful - you don't know how much I appreciate this! I am taking notes and will try to find out about the Tribute harness slots. However on the sheet is says it only RF to 30lbs so I'd guess they are the older stock. I will also nix the Sightseer.
    I probably won't get any infant seats - only because I don't like Evenflo infant seats and feel they are not user friendly - at all.

I will be getting the info to the coordinator after the holidays so I may be back for more questions if need be.

Thank you ALL for your replies - super helpful to help me sort out what to get!

Maria

How much are the Titans? Would a Scenera be less? They are only $39.
    Heather, proud mommy to:
    Dustin 12y & 105 lbs 5-stepped/Seatbelt only
    Colton 6y & 43lb FF RXT/Pinnacle/FR90
    Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85

Titans are $48. I will talk with the coordinator about this too - perhaps we can spend some money locally too - it' s worth finding out.

Thanks!

OH and I also remember her saying "we have to spend AT LEAST $500"- so I think I have a cushion to spend more. I will find out our exact parameters after the holidays.