Grateful for Car Seats

longstocking

My 29 month old son rides (now rode) FF in a Radian 65. I am grateful for car seats and truly appreciate them.
We were in a car crash this weekend. For sure not the worst I've seen but good enough that there could have been serious injuries. We slid off the freeway going 40-50 MPH, sailed over a barb wire fence, crashed into a propane tank, and tipped sideways. I knew he was okay and had to start laughing when he screamed at me "Mom! OW! Why you do that?"
What really scared me is we were moving so our car was full of stuff. Although some stuff from the back slid on top of him I had most of the stuff secured enough. I had been taught well.
I just want to put in my plug that I am grateful for secure riding. I am grateful to my car seat tech who patiently answers my questions about anything and everything. She has taught me how to keep my kids safe in the car.
The EMT were soon on scene to check us both out. One commented that the seat was very well installed since it hadn't really moved at all. They told me the seat for sure saved my sons life (well, that's a duh statement).
Thank you for all your help in keeping my kids safe on the road.
A side story...I took his coat off before putting him in the seat (as I had been well taught) When we were pulled of the car it was snowing. I told the police I need to get back in to look for his coat. They actually asked me. It's cold, why wasn't he wearing his coat? And they wouldn't let me back in the car. Yeah, let me stand here on the side of the freeway in a blizzard with a baby with no shoes on and no coat, including no coat for me! Niiiice

ADS

Baylor

I can see it,.. "Good job on the car seat installl.. Now where is his coat.."

Thanks for the reminder of why we all try and be as safe as possible. and that it makes all the difference.

I am soooo glad that you are both safe and sound! Sounds like a doooooozy...

jjordan

I'm so glad you are both okay! That sounds really scary! You probably already know this, but in case not, you will need to replace the carseat since it has been in a crash. Your insurance should cover it. Alternatively, you can call Sunshine Kids and ask about their crash replacement program.

ETA: here is info about the Sunshine Kids crash program.

Holly

That is scary! Was it just you and K or were J or A there too?
I'm glad you are both ok. Thats dumb the wouldn't let you get his coat. Even if it weren't for the Safety part (not wearing coats in car seats), a lot of people take them off in the car because they get too hot with the heater on and whatnot.
So glad you are ok! Is your car ok? Any of your belongings get ruined?
I hope the move is going well otherwise!

Holly

Oh yeah, and jjordan is right, you will need to replace his seat, and A's seat too even if he wasn't riding in it at the time. The insurance should cover it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Holly, A was in another vehicle. So was his car seat. :)

I found it a little tiny bit funny that the first thing she texted me was what to tell the insurance to claim the car seat to replace it. LOL. (Mostly just glad they're ok!)

longstocking

My DH was following us in the rental truck. He had one of our sons with him. Car is totaled. The tow driver was awesome. He realized our car was full and we probably needed everything. He stopped at our new apartment first to let us grab everything out.
Looking for a new seat now. Thankful for small kids. My 15 month son still fits in the Keyfit 30. It will work for a few more inches or pounds.

autumnlily

I'm so glad to hear you and DS are okay! I love when parent's are proactive and do their best to learn more about safety... it truly pays off for their children :)

I just took a CEU class on Crashes and Car Seats and how the re-constructionists try to decipher car seat useage. I wonder if you had a crash team come out there and ask them to get the info in a database... it would be fantastic to see photo's and an outcome like yours to add to the positives list ;)

Baylor

your Poor Dh.. I can not imagine what he was thinking when you crashed! That is a good Tow driver. glad he made it easy on you.

Holly

If you want, you can borrow my FPSVD (a lot like the The Britax A rides in) until insurance replaces the Radian.
So I assume you'll be getting a new vehicle too then? Maybe now is a good time to get something more compatible with car seats so the installing won't be so difficult.
So glad you are ok though! What a nice tow truck driver to let you get your stuff out at your new apartment! Nice that A wasn't in there with you, or you'd have 2 seats to replace at the same time!

Oh, and where is the Radian now? Did you take it out of the car? If you are getting another Radian, I'd keep the cover off the crashed one so then you'll have a spare.
Even if you end up with a different car seat for him, I'd see if you can keep the cover, you could sell it or something.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Oh my goodness I'm glad no one was seriously hurt! That could have had a tragic ending if you hadn't put so much care into ensuring he was buckled in safely. The car seat didn't save his life, you did! :thumbsup:

erikanohelani

It's great to hear that you and especially your son made it out okay. I was in a side impact collision last year where my car actually spun around and landed on a restaurant lawn. The EMT and the pediatrician who saw him said the car seat definitely saved him. The impact was on the passengers side where his seat was installed.

I am grateful I took that little bit of time to make sure my son was safe before that day. I hadn't found this site before the accident so there were things I had done wrong, but the seat was installed perfectly and the straps were correctly tightened.

I just wish more people would take the time to educate themselves on car seat safety.

longstocking

Oh, and where is the Radian now? Did you take it out of the car? If you are getting another Radian, I'd keep the cover off the crashed one so then you'll have a spare.
Even if you end up with a different car seat for him, I'd see if you can keep the cover, you could sell it or something.

I never even thought to take the cover off. I left the seat in the car but I don't think it would be a problem to go grab it. Wouldn't think there was a use or market for that. I'll just get something inexpensive now. My favorite car seat tech suggested one :D

Last edited by a moderator:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I just took a CEU class on Crashes and Car Seats and how the re-constructionists try to decipher car seat useage. I wonder if you had a crash team come out there and ask them to get the info in a database... it would be fantastic to see photo's and an outcome like yours to add to the positives list ;)

Ohhh, interesting! My car was totaled a few months ago and a private crash investigator was assigned to the crash, as there is a legal battle going on between insurance companies (not mine, but the companies representing the girl who hit me and the truck driver that caused a road hazard--they are suing each other). Unfortunately my insurance adjuster had un-installed all of my seats and cut the straps a few days after the crash. But my kids weren't in the car so I'm not sure if they would even look at them anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC