Some Boostering questions..

Baylor

This morning I put my son in the GN and he just was a bump above the harness height. I can not believe how fast he is growing but He grew out of all the New School clothes by height since Sept so I knew it was coming. He had on a sweatshirt for school and jeans. So I know I have to booster him now.

Can I ask the correct position for the seat belt itself? Should the booster be in front of the shoulder belt in the car or even with it or does it matter? When I put it in booster mode, the shoulder harness is almost horizontal to the seat.

And the top of the GN is 1 inch from the car ceiling. Is that okay?

Here is a picture..

gracobooster.jpg

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You want the red belt guide, and therefore the seatbelt, at or above his shoulder. The routing it takes to get there, unless it's completely twisted, is less important. Depending on the car it may go up to the guide, it may come down, it may go over.

It's fine to have the Nautilus an inch from the ceiling. There are no height restrictions unless it simply doesn't fit.

Wendy

Baylor

You want the red belt guide, and therefore the seatbelt, at or above his shoulder. The routing it takes to get there, unless it's completely twisted, is less important. Depending on the car it may go up to the guide, it may come down, it may go over.

It's fine to have the Nautilus an inch from the ceiling. There are no height restrictions unless it simply doesn't fit.

Wendy

Thank you so much. I am so freaked about boostering full time. I know it is a safe option.. but it is way less, Idiot proof for lack of a better term. Another reason I want that extra 3 seater bench... Thanks so much!

ETA, I may add some pictures of him in it later to see if I am on the right track.. Thanks again.

mish

It looks fine to me. One thing to remember about boostering is to buckle the belt while the child isn't riding in it. You certainly don't want the nautilus to join you in the front seat if you have an accident!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Unless she has LATCH, then she could just LATCH it in. Or at least tether it if there are only tethers.

Wendy

mish

Unless she has LATCH, then she could just LATCH it in. Or at least tether it if there are only tethers.

Wendy

This is true. I just wanted to make sure she knew it needed to be held down somehow.

And it does look tilted, but I thought maybe it was the angle of the pic.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's a booster. It can tilt when no one is in it. It'll likely right itself when he sits in it.

Wendy

Baylor

It is partly both I was trying to get a good pic to show the angle but I couldn't and he is not in it. It sits straighter with him in it. I do have the tether attached but not latch. I just belted it in after taking the harness off.

mish

It's a booster. It can tilt when no one is in it. It'll likely right itself when he sits in it.

Wendy

I know. I just thought if it was tilted it might be on a "hump" on the edge of the seat. I was just going to suggest moving it over a tad. A tilted booster might be uncomfy and I wouldn't want him to be wiggling around getting uncomfortable.

Baylor, has he ridden in it yet? What did he think?

Baylor

No. Well he has before but not this morning. He was in the harness on the way but I told him when he got home he would be using it as a booster. Today I have to take him to Dr for follow up so it will be his first "big" ride in it.

I gotta be honest.. I am nervous. :eek:

I will take a picture of it.. That way you guys can help me make sure that I have him in correctly.

Baylor

So he does not love it.. He really had a tough afternoon so I am not sure I got a real reaction yet. Maybe in the morning.. It is still leaning a little when he is in it but not at all as bad as in that picture of the seat alone. If I move it over more I am then going to be pulling the buckle strap around the back of the seat to buckle. Is that okay?

luckyclov

A small amount of "tilt" should be fine as long as there's no actual tipping (and he's able to stay positioned). And yes, it is fine to have the buckle stalk "webbing" kind of coming out and around the seat, as long as the actual buckle box part rests in the right place (not behind/under) in relation to the Nauti. And the seatbelt provides an adequate fit. Due to my vehicle seats, I have to do the same thing with my DS in his PWSG. I also had to move him to a center position because the height of the booster wasn't jiving well with my 3rd row ceiling and it was causing some "tilting" I wasn't comfortable with.

Baylor

I am not sure the belt is positioned right on him. I tried to take a picture but it makes it look worse!

The lap belt is under his hip bones by feel. It is not across his stomach but looks higher than some of the pictures I have seen here that are good fits.

Yesterday was an insane day so I am going to try today..
Is it possible that putting it in another position in the car could help?

mish

I can't say for sure about putting it in another position without pictures. I'm sure you'll get it all worked out.

Baylor

I can't say for sure about putting it in another position without pictures. I'm sure you'll get it all worked out.

I hope so.. I am most unsure about boostering so I just want to make sure I have all the t's crossed and i's dotted..

I am going to play around this afternoon, I hope.. Children willing and see..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC