Question Crib Mattress?

Auntie2Avi

My cousin asked me if I knew of a good crib mattress for her baby and since I don't I'm asking you guys. My cousin is very crunchy, baby has been sleeping with her for the past 7 months since she was born. I think she is planning on side-caring the crib with her bed. Which is a good mattress without chemicals? I have no idea how to go about finding one.

Thanks!

ADS

ctbcleveland

I like the colgate foam mattress because they are light-weight and easy to move. But, there isn't much crunchy about foam.

They do offer one called their eco mattress, but I don't know if I'd buy that.

http://www.colgatekids.com/

Here is one recommended by Baby Cheapskate - it is covered in Organic Cotton.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JD7TH4?ie=UTF8&tag=babycheap-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001JD7TH4"]Amazon.com: Sealy Naturalis Crib Mattress with Organic Cotton: Baby[/ame]

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Stay away from the ones from Babies R Us, etc. Some of them say organic, but that means they threw the chemicals on top of organic cotton or something.

Organic Grace has chemical-free crib mattresses. They meet fire retardant standards by using wool.

If there's a Custom Comfort mattress near you (or her) check there, too. You can get a mattress there that uses silicates (sand) instead of the usual chemicals, although I'm not entirely comfortable with that, either. If you (she) gets a prescription from a doctor for a chemical-free mattress, they'll make one. They probably won't have crib mattresses in the store, but they can make anything.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Oops, I realized I wasn't entirely clear.

Organic Grace is online. I'm not sure the address, but it should be easy enough to figure out.

At Custom Comfort (brick and mortar stores in SoCal) you can walk in and order a wool/silicate mattress. (I have a feeling the Organic Grace might also have silicates, because from what I've read, wool alone isn't enough to meet fire-resistant standards.)

If you have a prescription (from a crunchy ped or an allergist, etc.) they'll make one with NO chemicals at all. That means it won't be fire-resistant (other than whatever wool is ordered with it), but that's a risk I'd have no problem taking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC