Need 8 passenger or more vehicles, please.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
I have a mom that is expecting twins looking for a family vehicle that will hold 8 or more. When the twins are born they'll have 6 kids, plus the two parents. Right now they have one in a harnessed seat, two in boosters and one in the l/s. They currently have a T&C van, but it only seats 7. We've found some vehicles here and there, but a list would be nice.

Thanks!!

ADS

hsjwmom

Are they planning any more kids after the twins? If not, I would recommend a Toyota Sienna 8 passenger. I have the 7, but from what I understand, the 8 is roomier than an Ody in that the 8th seat is more of a "regular" seat.

I would put the 2 boostered kids in the 3rd row with the one in the l/s. Then put the twins and the harnessed child in the 2nd row. With the front and center seat pushed forward, I know someone on here has managed to fit 2 regents and an MA, so PLENTY of room for 2 infant seats and a convertable!

racesmom

Senior Community Member
Thanks! Not sure about more kids. I know the Sienna is one she's looking at.

Would LOVE a list if anyone can find one. We both Googled forever and couldn't find one. Thanks!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Off the top of my head, there are 8-passenger versions of the Toyota Sienna minivan, Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia crossover vehicles, and some larger SUVs like the Suburban, and Ford SUVs such as the Expedition or discontinued Excursion. Before the poster lovinwaves shows up to sing its praises ;) , I should also mention the Honda Odyssey has a version with a smaller 8th passenger stowable seat in the second row center that might work for a child who rides in a narrower harnessed seat or belt positioning booster or passes the 5-step test to forgo a booster seat, but it might be a bit tight squeeze for an adult to ride in the 8th seat. I don't remember for certain, but the Toyota Sequoia might have 8-passenger seating, and perhaps the Nissan Armada as well. :confused:

For more than 8-passenger seating, the Dodge Sprinter van comes in a 12 passenger model with headrests and lap shoulder belts for all seating positions, and there are other full size vans from the big 3 with which I'm not very familiar.

emandbri

I just bought an 8 seater sienna and LOVE IT!

There are pix here, the rightmost seat is out in these pix. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=14751

I would put the two boostes and a harnessed kid in the back, twins and the L/S kid in the middle row because the rightmost seat flips forward so kids can get to the back. If you have a seat installed there you can't flip it foward. The other idea would be to put one of the twins there in an infant seat without the base and put that baby in after the other kids are in the back.

lovemyfamily

I have an 8 passenger Yukon XL, which is the GMC version of the Chevy Suburban. I love it. We have had 8 in it, 5 carseats, with no problem. There is still 2 feet of space behind the 3rd row of seats, and with that many people, I am sure they will have lots of cargo.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I will also recommend the Toyota Sienna as probably the safest and most convenient vehicle for seating 8 passengers on a regular basis. It's also relatively economical and environmentally friendly compared to other models that seat 8 people. You can get a Sienna CE package #2 with 8 seats for about 23K. For a couple thousand more you can get an LE package #3 and get the convenience of dual power sliding doors and a power driver seat. Both have side curtain airbags in all 3 rows of seating, 3-point seatbelts and head restraints for all 8 passesngers plus stability control (with those option packages). The 19/26 mpg fuel economy is a nice bonus, too, as are the 5 LATCH seating positions!

The Honda Pilot and Odyssey get an honorable mention but the seating isn't quite as convenient for 7-8 passengers on a daily basis, in my opinion.

teekadog

From my bil's 2007 cars Consumer Reports issue, here is a list of 8-pass or more vehicles:

Buick Enclave/ GMC Acadia/ Saturn Outlook
Cadillac Escalade/ Chevrolet Tahoe/ GMC Yukon
Chevrolet Suburban/ GMC Yukon XL
Chrysler Aspen/ Dodge Durango
Ford Expedition/ Lincoln Navigator
Honda Odyssey
Honda Pilot
Infiniti QX /Nissan Armada
Lexus LX/ Toyota Land Cruiser
Lexus GX
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Sienna

At my daughter's preschool two mothers just upgraded from minivans (an Odyssey and a Sienna) to big SUVs (both Yukons). The moms love them. There's enough room for all the kids AND groceries, and the seating is just a bit bigger which leads to much fewer squabbles, according to them. Regarding the poor fuel economy they get, one mom joked that if she hadn't wanted to be a burden on the environment, she wouldn't have had 6 kids.

Hope that helps!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Not all minivans are created equal. For example, the seating room and the cargo space in the Sienna are somewhat better than in my Odyssey and also bigger for seating and cargo space than some "full size" SUVs like the Expedition, Durango and Sequoia. Compare the 8-passenger Sienna to those models side-by-side and there really is no comparison for hauling kids.

Models like the Suburban (and equivalent GMC versions) are certainly bigger than the Sienna, though, and some versions can seat 9 passengers. In addition to the fuel economy (16/22 on 2WD model is the best, 15/20 the worst), they also cost significantly more. While stability control is standard, I think side curtain airbags are optional on some of the 8-9 passenger trim levels. If I recall correctly from the auto show, they also have the drawback of having one of the 8 seats in the front row without a shoulder belt and both center seats lack head restraints (maybe this changed for 2007?). The other drawbacks in terms of safety are the limited crash test information (they lack side impact and IIHS results) and presumably inferior handling and braking characteristics. Still very safe vehicles, but they don't quite offer everything the Sienna does in terms of overall safety- not to mention the lack of sliding doors for the kiddos!

Of course, there is the 2008 Yukon Hybrid, with stability control and side curtain airbags standard and a 3rd row seat optional. Not sure if it is a 7 or 8 seater with the third row, though. I believe it is also the shorter wheelbase so it would be more on par in interior space with the Sienna.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have a 2000 Suburban (1/2ton 4x4) 8 passenger w/5 carseats installed at all times. I LOVE IT. And considering it's size and horsepower, I don't think 15mpg, is really all that bad. Of course, I've been driving subs for the last 10yrs...so I guess I'm used to it!

beeman

I have a 2000 Suburban (1/2ton 4x4) 8 passenger w/5 carseats installed at all times. I LOVE IT. And considering it's size and horsepower, I don't think 15mpg, is really all that bad. Of course, I've been driving subs for the last 10yrs...so I guess I'm used to it!

Sounds like my truck for mileage. I can get 16 or 17 if it's all highway and I go 55mph and have a huge tailwind. Why can't they get these things more fuel efficient?

As for 8 passenger vehicles I have no suggestions. If you're looking for better mileage, a diesel may be an option, but remember you have to drive a lot of miles for it to pay to have a diesel.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC