Can I do this?

turtlemama

I was wondering, since I am not a tech, if I would still be able to do a presentation of the basics like ERF and EH to the residents of my apartment complex?
The people at the leasing office have these get-togethers for the residents every now and then and I was thinking of calling and asking if I could do one for the parents about car seat safety. I just didn't want to get in trouble if I did do it since I'm not certified or anything. I do know that I am probably the only one in the whole complex who knows a lot about this stuff though, at least about why it is safest to rear face for as long as possible, and why harnessing past 3 years is also safest. I mainly just wanted to pass out some pamphlets I ordered (the free ones from USAA) and let them know about ERF and EH and how to properly install a seat. I know I don't know everything, and won't be offering to actually install seats, I just wanted to get the information out there. I want to do this because I see a lot of misuse (even an infant seat facing forward once) and I'm assuming they don't know any better.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Are you prepared to answer questions about how to properly install seats in many different vehicles? Are you familiar with your state's laws as well as best practice recommendations? What would you tell parents who can't afford new seats? On what basis would you recommend extended harnessing?

Baylor

I would get as much information as I could and then just tell them that it is safer and that they should come to a place like here, or other ERF advocate sites to get the best information.. Maybe go here

https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbza...tegory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=safekidscertSQL

and see if there is a tech in your area willing to come and help or talk to parents who want the help. While I know it is safer and can list some benefits and such, I could never answer most the questions nor install a RF car seat for someone or show or tell them better techniques to help. It is just not safe.. So I think it is a great idea but I think you need a tech or give them this web address or get some good pamphlets but leave the important info to a tech.. There could be something you could leave out that out that could be really really important.

Have you thought about taking the course?

turtlemama

Great questions! Thanks. I do need to think about all of that. I was mainly just wanting to pass out the pamphlets, I wrote some sites down on each one, this site, cpsafety.com, Kyle David Miller Foundation, and Joel's Journey.
I am not familiar with the state laws except for what I saw on Safe Kids and that was this, "Virginia’s law requires children ages 7 & under to be secured in a child restraint device. Rear-facing child restraint devices must be placed in the back seat."
No I am not prepared to install anything in any car aside from my own, though I wish I was. I was not planning on doing anything like that. I know I won't be able to show them anything personally, but I could tell them about the "less than once inch" rule, what LATCH is and how it works, make sure straps are flat and not twisted, where the chest clip goes etc. Actually, most of that stuff is in the pamphlets.
I would tell them if they cannot afford seats that they could check with their local health department, WIC sometimes knows of where to get a seat for free. Hospitals sometimes give out seats for parents of newborns or charge a small fee. They can contact the Safe Kids coalition nearest here to apply to get a free seat as long as they are on some type of government assistance. I am actually trying to get my cousin to contact Safe Kids near where she lives so she can apply for seats since she doesn't have a job and cannot get new seats (and possibly doesnt care to do so.)
We are right next to a military base, they have a program that gives car seats and other baby things to new parents. I forget what it's called. There is also Fleet and Family Support that may be able to help, but I'm not sure.

To the best of my knowledge best practices are to transport the child the safest way according to their height, weight and development.

I really, really want to go get certified, but there are no courses near where I live. There is not even a Safe Kids coalition in my area (Hampton Roads) as far as what I've looked up. I would have to drive 3 hours, stay at a hotel for the amount of time, and then drive back. I can't do that since my husband works all the time and I am the only one that can take care of the kids for that long.
All I can do right now is wait, but it really sucks because I see all these seats used wrong and I know how dangerous it can be, and there is nothing I can do about it.
My other idea was to give the pamphlets to my kid's doctor and ask if she put them in the waiting area or possibly pass them out to parents. She seems kind of old school though so I don't know if she would even be aware of ERF or anything else.

Last edited:

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Just FYI, there is a controlled course in Newport News that starts January 10th and has two seats open still.

I would try to find a tech to join you, but if you can't locate anyone willing then I think it's fine to give out handouts and basic info, along with the location/dates/times/contact of where to get a check with a tech. I wouldn't look at anyone's seats though.

mish

Hmm. I think I would lean towards no. If you start getting a lot of questions you can't answer you will lose credibility. Can you just hand out pamphlets at another event?

And I think taking the tech class is a good idea. You will learn a lot and then maybe you can organize a seat check. I will caution you that if you do that you should have another tech join you. It is best to have someone helping you and answering questions for a while.

And I also want to say it's great that you want to help educate and I certainly hope you can find a way to do it!

wvmommy007

My other idea was to give the pamphlets to my kid's doctor and ask if she put them in the waiting area or possibly pass them out to parents. She seems kind of old school though so I don't know if she would even be aware of ERF or anything else.

I gave my ped. a copy of the USAA booklet and a reorder form. I just said I was a car seat nerd and thought those were helpful booklets. I haven't been back to see if they're available there or not. I hope so. I think having a ped. offer/have available a pictorial guide to car seats may help some people. I didn't mention ERF. Our 1 year check is coming up, and I can't wait to see what her car seat advice is.

So anyway, I would offer the booklet to the ped. and see how she reacts. It's a start. :) I have no advice on the rest though.

cat mommy

I personally would not feel at all comfortable doing this without being a tech. I would however, offer to help the leasing office find a tech who could do a presentation.

turtlemama

Thanks everyone. I do feel that I should probably just hand out the pamphlets to my Ped instead. I think that may be a better way of getting the message across and hopefully she and the parents she talks to would listen better than me being a stranger, telling other strangers what to do.
I did not know there was a course in Newport News, the closest I found was 3 hours away, but that was over a month ago when I checked. I will have to look into that and hopefully DH will be willing to let me go, Thanks a bunch for letting me know!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC