Question skinny tall six year old

U

Unregistered

Does anyone know what I should do? My six and a half year old son is 37 pounds (he does eat) 47.5" and has a shoulder height of 17". Which car seat should he be in?

He is currently in a Britax Marathon but he is at its limits.

Thank you.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
At that age, assuming he is neurotypical, the next logical step would be a high-back booster. There are several that fit tall skinny kids well, including the Graco TurboBooster, Sunshine Kids Monterey, Recaro ProBooster, and the Britax Parkway. :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am impressed that he is still able to fit in the Marathon at 6.5! Wow!

My six-year-old DN is moving into Parkway SGLs (she is currently in Regents), but your DS doesn't meet its minimum weight requirement. I'd look at the ProBooster or Turbo Booster. :)

firemomof3

I would skip the Monterey because it tends to not fit skinny kids well. I would also look at the Probooster & Turbobooster :thumbsup:

zactayaus

I love the way the turbo booster fits my skinny 45lb 7 1/2yo.

Also wanted to ask if you were sure he still fit in his MA (I know my ds did at 6yo). The harness straps must be at or above his shoulders and since I believe the highest harness slot on the MA is only like 16" and you say he has a 17" torso I just wanted to make sure he actually did still fit.

MommyBoha

We have a Recaro ProBooster for our super skinny 7 year ols(44lbs) it fits him perfectly. It also fits my 34lbs 5 year old very well.
Also... at 7.5 years old 48in... my DS still fits in DDs FPSVD.. LOL I have pics

mrandmrshaynes

My son is built the same way. He is 5.5yrs old and with all his clothes and shoes he barely hits 40lbs. I'm talking barely like if you take one shoe off him he's going to go down into the 39 mark. He eats us our of a house thou LOL anyways I would and am going with the Britax Frontier85. He can still stay harnessed for a bit beings he's so tiny and then goes into a perfect booster with the securegaurd that works between the legs in booster mode.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Just noticed the OP is in Canada so I moved the thread to the Canadian and International forum for more tailored advice. Recaro carseats aren't available in Canada but the other suggestions posted in previous posts are to my knowledge, with the Frontier85 available as the Frontier XT model in Canada.

chay

All Canadian boosters start at 40lbs so for seats that will harness and then turn into a booster that have taller harness slots than the Marathon you have
- FrontierXT - tallest harness, turns into the tallest booster
- Nautilus - turns into a high back and low back booster

The Nautilus top slots are ~18.5". Not sure how fast he's gaining but that may or may not be enough to get you over 40lbs (if only we had a crystal ball...). The Frontier would definitely do it but is more $$$$.

There are some more convertibles that have higher slots than your Marathon but the Nautilus is slightly taller and since you'll never use the RF part I'd stick with one of the above. There is also the Maestro but it is shorter than the Nautilus (I believe - someone correct me if I'm wrong) and the booster is outgrown shortly after the harness is so you would have to get another booster.

canadiangie

Hello and welcome, :)

The britax frontier xt has 20" top harness slots, allows for the 5 point harness to be used up to 65 pounds (providing shoulders are still under top harness position), and later converts to a super tall highback booster.

The frontier xt will bridge the gap you're in now... Too tall for his convertible, but too light for a booster (minimum booster weight in Canada is 40 pounds).

The graco nautilus competes directly with the frontier xt but offers lower top harness slots. It converts to both a highback and backless booster.

Hope that helps,

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd go with the Frontier XT for the highest top harness slots as well as a booster versatility later, if you can afford the price tag :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC