S/O What is extending harnessing?

Age where you are EH and not just harnessing?

Votes: 22 35.5%

Votes: 29 46.8%

Votes: 7 11.3%

Votes: 1 1.6%

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • over 8

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cso1997

Poll to follow

Extended rearfacing is based off 1 and 20, right? What is extended harnessing based off? At what age are you extended instead of just harnessed?

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I voted 4, because the minimum for boostering in my mind is 4 and 40lbs. :shrug-shoulders:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Personally, I don't think of it as "extended" harnessing (or "extended" rear-facing, for that matter). To me, saying "extended" implies longer than it should be. I just look at it as harnessed, or RF. Some would consider my 5YO to be EH, I just consider her to be harnessed. Some (OK, most) would have considered her ERF at age 3 - to me, she was just RF. :twocents:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
On the other thread, there was a mention of 6-8 being extended harnessing. I wrote there, and repeat here: I think age 8 is "extended" harnessing pretty much everywhere. I consider "extended" harnessing to be harnessing past the point where a child can use a booster safely -- and almost all developmentally typical kids reach that by age 8.

christineka

I believe "extended" means beyond the bare minimum. I'd say the minimum is age 4 and 40 pounds, so I picked age 5. All of my kids were 4 years old before hitting 40 pounds.

scatterbunny

I believe "extended" means beyond the bare minimum. I'd say the minimum is age 4 and 40 pounds, so I picked age 5.

This is my line of thinking, as well (so I also voted 5).

Incidentally, my dd hit 40 pounds at 3y4mo, we briefly tried a booster at 4y3mo, when she was about 45 inches/45 pounds (it was a disaster, for full-time use), then she was harnessed until right after her 6th birthday, when she was about 50 inches tall and 50 pounds. She has some impulse control issues, so although she was big for her age, (extended) harnessing was a necessity for us until she was 6.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I consider "extended" anything past the minimums, so 4. My oldest is 5y6m and is harnessed, and isn't ready for full time boostering. Maybe in another 6m or so we'll try again (or whenever she outgrows the CA).

Kat_Momof3

extended harnessing... over 4...

I'd even say that there is a term we've never used because it shouldn't have to exist... extended boostering... which is past 8yrs old... or the state limits (which some are so low that those kids should be extended rearfacing/extended harnessing)

luckyclov

I, too, consider extended being past the bare minimum. So, for me, EH is harnessing beyond 4/40, just as ERF is RFing beyond 1/20.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Deja vu...I think we just had a poll on this a couple weeks ago, wonder if I can find it?
I voted 8, though I guess that's not realistic anymore given the seats on the market. For me, it's all about the seats on the market, not about bare minimums. More kids fit in Huskies till 10ish, so my mind still has that number, only the FR85 has a hope of getting kids to 8+ now, though :(

pastrygirl

I consider it the age at which other parents would look at me funny for still using a harness instead of a booster. Here, that's age 4. I think Toby is one of a couple of kids in his class that is not in a booster full-time.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Deja vu...I think we just had a poll on this a couple weeks ago, wonder if I can find it?
I voted 8, though I guess that's not realistic anymore given the seats on the market. For me, it's all about the seats on the market, not about bare minimums. More kids fit in Huskies till 10ish, so my mind still has that number, only the FR85 has a hope of getting kids to 8+ now, though :(

I thought so, too:) Found it, though it wasn't an actual poll.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=148081&highlight=age+extended+harnessing

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC