What should I know about the Generations 65 as a harnessed seat?

EmmaGrace'sMom

I grabbed one for $45 at BRU yesterday, my plan is to switch it with the occasional use seat that DH keeps for ODD. Right now he has a BV and I'm going to put that in the sitters car for YDD. When I sat ODD in the G65 she was just barely under/right at the next to top harness slot. She's 4.5 and about 35lbs. I plan to harness to a minimum of 6, I may allow some booster use when she starts Kindergarten for short trips.

It seemed like a good harnessed seat, I'm really not concerned with booster fit...if it sucks I have no problem buying a good booster

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

It is a good seat for $45. It can be a bit of a PITB to install, but other than that I like it. It may not get your child to 6, but it should get her close if she is not quite on the top slot yet. My son is a little over 4 & is about 2 inches below the top slot on this seat.

However do not plan to use it as a booster. It makes for a horrible belt fit in booster mode.

Kris0722

I had the old generations (40 lb limit) and it was a good back up set for my older son. It had tall top slots, which I would assume the 65 lb one has similar ones??, and had he not hit the weight limit he could have used it for a good LONG while longer! From what I understand, it makes a cruddy booster, but it sounds like that won't be an issue for you.

scariestone

Actually, no, stupidly they made the 65lb versions top slots about 1.5" lower than the 40lb version. Yeah that makes sense. I sold ours as I turned DS back RF and there was no way he would fit it by the time he hits the 45lb RF limit on his radian. I doubt he would even fit in it now as he's 42" tall with about a 16" torso. Its definitely a good backup seat as its so light and unlike PP I actually found it ridiculously easy to install. Neither of our cars have latch or even als belts so we have to use a locking clip and I could get it in in less than 2 minutes.

Kris0722

Actually, no, stupidly they made the 65lb versions top slots about 1.5" lower than the 40lb version. Yeah that makes sense. I sold ours as I turned DS back RF and there was no way he would fit it by the time he hits the 45lb RF limit on his radian. I doubt he would even fit in it now as he's 42" tall with about a 16" torso. Its definitely a good backup seat as its so light and unlike PP I actually found it ridiculously easy to install. Neither of our cars have latch or even als belts so we have to use a locking clip and I could get it in in less than 2 minutes.

That is CRAZY! WHY would they do that??? I agree that I always found the installs super easy, at least in the vehicles we used it in... My son had a couple of inches in harness height when he hit 40 lbs in it - but at 1.5 inches lower that would have REALLY cut into his time in it!!!!! What a shame - they took a mediocre seat and made it worse?? B/c really, with lower slots, they might as well have left it a 40 lbs seat! LOL!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
It's okay, and for that price, pretty awesome. As has been said, the biggest "con" of the seatr are the low harness slots. Most kids won't make 40 pounds in it, let alone the 65 lb limit. It sounds like your odd is a small kid with a short torso though, so it doesn't sound like it will be an issue for your situation :)

EmmaGrace'sMom

She is a pretty petite kid, but it looked like the top slot was probably at least 17" is it shorter than that? (Just eyeballing the room she had and the room I remember having in the MA) I'll have to check today before DH takes it to work for his spare seat!

I think depending on the car she can use the scenera... but it's been pulled out of use for a while.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC