Cars with rear facing seats..

Baylor

I hope this is in the right spot and not completely stupid, but I know people have vans with seats that face the rear of the car, Is it safe to let kids ride there and install car seats?

My first inclination is no, Because forward facing seats are meant to be FF and would not perform the same way when they are then rear facing??

ADS

Aurezalia

As always, you refer to the manual. Check the car's manual and the car seat's manual to see if either disallow installing child restraints on those seats. IIRC, most, if not all, say it is not allowed.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I hope this is in the right spot and not completely stupid, but I know people have vans with seats that face the rear of the car, Is it safe to let kids ride there and install car seats?

My first inclination is no, Because forward facing seats are meant to be FF and would not perform the same way when they are then rear facing??

You're right, you can't install car seats on rear-facing vehicle seats. This can be a real problem when someone purchases such a vehicle with the intention of using it to transport the family, only to find that it's really not appropriate. We see this most commonly with vehicles like the Ford Taurus station wagon - it's an older model, no longer made of course, but there are still a lot on the road. The "way back" seat is really only appropriate for kids who don't need a harnessed seat and are big enough to pass the five-step test back there, but not so tall that their head is above the top of the vehicle seat, which has no head rest.

You might find some more discussions on the topic if you search for "Ford Taurus station wagon." I imagine that searching for "rear facing vehicle seat" probably wouldn't be very fruitful. ;)

Baylor

I guess I was not searching right.. when I searched I got all threads about rear facing children in seats.. not the vehicle seats..

Thanks. I figured as much but was not sure.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC