seats with the highest harness height..

Baylor

I have DS2 in the GN but I was wondering if there was a car seat at about 100.00 that would still hold him at 42lbs and 40 inches tall.

He is in the second to last notch with maybe 1/2 inch left.

ADS

jjordan

The only seat with a higher harnesss is the Britax Frontier 85 (about 1.5-2" higher). It is about $225 on a normal sale (ie a price you can find pretty much any time), and sometimes comes down around $200 on a really good sale. There's nothing even close in the $100 range - the Evenflo Maestro and Apex 65 are (AFAIK) the highest harnessing seats in that price range, and neither harness is as high as the Nautilus harness.

rachelandtyke

I suppose you might be able to find a Regent somewhere that could be marked down a lot since they are discontinued. They show up on swap every so often.

But if he is on the second to last notch, he could have a long time still before he outgrows it completely. He has 1/2 inch on that notch and then the highest one, is that right?

You might find this interesting: http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/

I'm a numbers kind of gal, so like to compare things frequently and love all the measurements. So glad that so many people have gone through all the effort to make it happen!

Baylor

The only seat with a higher harnesss is the Britax Frontier 85 (about 1.5-2" higher). It is about $225 on a normal sale (ie a price you can find pretty much any time), and sometimes comes down around $200 on a really good sale. There's nothing even close in the $100 range - the Evenflo Maestro and Apex 65 are (AFAIK) the highest harnessing seats in that price range, and neither harness is as high as the Nautilus harness.

Thanks. The Frontier becomes a booster though right? So I would have another booster to switch between kids too. That would make it okay for both of them..

I suppose you might be able to find a Regent somewhere that could be marked down a lot since they are discontinued. They show up on swap every so often.

But if he is on the second to last notch, he could have a long time still before he outgrows it completely. He has 1/2 inch on that notch and then the highest one, is that right?

You might find this interesting: http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/

I'm a numbers kind of gal, so like to compare things frequently and love all the measurements. So glad that so many people have gone through all the effort to make it happen!

Thanks. I need to measure his torso. I know that will help me figure out a good fit better, if I can ever get him to sit still ;)

He is so big for almost 3. It makes me sad... He is just getting so big so fast.

mommyfrog

The Evenflo Maestro will work fine for him. The top straps slots are almost as tall as the Nautilus and it goes to 50 pounds.

rachelandtyke

Yes, the Frontier does become a booster as well. IIRC it is the tallest HBB . . . (it does not become a backless booster though).

Baylor

I am going to be running around all day today.. with the 6.5 yr old.. But I figured if I saw a good sale on something that would work for DS2 it would give me a spare for him.

I am going to try boosters on DS6.5 today too.

I am hoping for a trip to BRU because they at least have a car seat to get a better idea of the fit..

Thanks for all your help. I am done buying seats blind because I like the pattern. I want to try and make sure I get a good seat for my kids.

Thanks so much.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The second to top and top slots in the GN are a full 2 inches apart. If you have a half inch left until you need the top slot, you have 2.5 inches of torso height left. That pretty much guarantees you the 1.5 years you have until 4 years old, and probably, more likely means you have 2+ years left until he outgrows the Nauti. Even big children lke yours usually do start to slow down on the growth eventually :) But even if he does not, like I said, I would be completely shocked to not have the seat last another 1.5-2 years, probably a bit more.
I *know* how hard it is to hear this, but since you have, at a minimum, well over a year, I'd probably try my best to wait and see....things can change quickly in the carseat world, and 12-18 months from now, we are likely to have some really awesome new extended harnessing choices. Save your money until then, until you actually need another seat right now. :)

babyherder

But if you do get a Frontier 85 I'd go with the blue one. Cause it just looks soooo nice. I figure I can pick a cute cover once I settle on an appropriate seat.

Baylor

The second to top and top slots in the GN are a full 2 inches apart. If you have a half inch left until you need the top slot, you have 2.5 inches of torso height left. That pretty much guarantees you the 1.5 years you have until 4 years old, and probably, more likely means you have 2+ years left until he outgrows the Nauti. Even big children lke yours usually do start to slow down on the growth eventually :) But even if he does not, like I said, I would be completely shocked to not have the seat last another 1.5-2 years, probably a bit more.
I *know* how hard it is to hear this, but since you have, at a minimum, well over a year, I'd probably try my best to wait and see....things can change quickly in the carseat world, and 12-18 months from now, we are likely to have some really awesome new extended harnessing choices. Save your money until then, until you actually need another seat right now. :)

That sounds like a plan. I am torn. I want a booster for the 6.5 to train in and I want a spare for the baby.. Right now the Only way I see that is if I buy another Nauti or a Frontier. I still want to try the SG on DS1. I think that is what I really want. But I then will need something different for the baby. Well My baby.. lol..

But if you do get a Frontier 85 I'd go with the blue one. Cause it just looks soooo nice. I figure I can pick a cute cover once I settle on an appropriate seat.

I did not get to shop as much as I thought I would today and the TRU near me did not have all the seats I wanted to look at.. In fact their booster section was 1 harmony lbb, an Evenflo booster, and a turbo elite.

I was surprised at well he fit in the turbo booster. I was curious about the pad they had in it though, I am assuming that is for lower weight kids?

I have to laugh because I have started thinking the same way.. Now that I know I can get different covers for them. Kind of like getting a new seat over and over!

Pixels

You can't rely on the BRU bench too tell you how the booster fits. It's kinda like relying on the BRU bench to see if a convertible is easy to install - it might give you an idea, but your vehicle is different than the bench so you really do have to try it in your vehicle. Vehicle belt geometry can effect how the belt fits in the booster. If you take the floor model and your driver's license to the customer service desk, BRU will let you take it out to your car to test fit it.

Baylor

I did not know that!! Thanks.. I did not even get to try it on anything but the shelf at TRU.. They have a high shelf and low shelf that is maybr 1 ft off the floor.. I just sat it there and adjusted the head rests to see how he felt and looked in it. I was not buying a thing today.. so I just wanted to see him in something else besides the GN. We had babies and toddlers with us so today was not a good trying out day.. just wanted to get an idea.

but thanks. I did not know that BRU allows vehicle testing!

Baylor

I'm sorry; I actually meant the Turbo Elite as well. It has a body support pad that is not weight dependent.

Thanks! I just read through the manual to check and it says nothing much about it. I think I will put them back in tomorrow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC