As of today...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My dd is officially boostered full time.

She is 6yrs old, 54lbs, and had maybe 1/4" of growing room left in the Nautilus. She's been in a booster in our truck since the end part of last winter, and I just bought her a 2nd Monterey last night.

I debated over boosters for our car for quite awhile, but finally went with another Monterey. The boosters that adjusted tall enough just didn't have the same great lapbelt fit that she has with the Monterey.

I'll have to get a picture of her in her new seat over the weekend. :D

ADS

Baylor

I am dying to check out the fit of boosters only on my son. I am wondering how different it will be from the Nauti fit.

I am hoping to get through the winter with my 6.5 yr old before boostering full time.. but I want to get it in the next month or so so we can start working on the rules and finding the right one!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Awwww~! Welcome to the club. :) DD has also been boostered full time since she turned 6 in september (and, honestly, was basically FT boostered for several months before that, just not "officially" lol ) I'm glad you found a great fitting booster.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My DN is six and is about to become boostered full-time. She rides in Regents and is about to outgrow them. She has been BEGGING her parents to allow her to ride in just a booster and they agreed to allow her.

As soon as they arrive, she will be in Parkway SGLs.

Shanora

Liam is still harnessed, but I might try him out in a booster seat once he hits 40lbs. He's 5 and fairly mature.

He's about 38lbs, so I'll probably have a while yet.

snowbird25ca

I am dying to check out the fit of boosters only on my son. I am wondering how different it will be from the Nauti fit.

I am hoping to get through the winter with my 6.5 yr old before boostering full time.. but I want to get it in the next month or so so we can start working on the rules and finding the right one!

I know with my daughter there was no working on rules. I just explained to her what was important and that if she didn't sit still she'd be back in a harness in the truck, and that was that. She was perfect from day 1.

I only did a quick trial of the NAutilus belt fit, but it looked pretty much identical to the way the belt fit when I tried her in the PW SG, possibly even a bit better. It was an acceptable belt fit, but not fabulous - and once you've seen a great belt fit on your kid, nothing else will do. As I'm sure you can understand. :thumbsup:

*keep in mind this is with my daughter and the seatbelt geometry in my saturn astra - the belt fit being the same or better on the nautilus vs. the PW SG won't apply across the board in all vehicles and with all kids, it was just my experience.

That's got to be a bit bittersweet! :)

It really is. I'm realizing I'm going to have to thin the number of car seats I have and it also means no longer using some seats that I really like. I still haven't figured out what stays and what goes, lol.

Awwww~! Welcome to the club. :) DD has also been boostered full time since she turned 6 in september (and, honestly, was basically FT boostered for several months before that, just not "officially" lol ) I'm glad you found a great fitting booster.

Thanks, I'm really impressed with how good the belt fit is with the monterey. The only down side is it's difficult to reach the buckle in our car - but the stalks are right in the seat bite and are pretty short so I suspect that would be a problem with any booster. At least she can buckle herself in the truck. :)

My DN is six and is about to become boostered full-time. She rides in Regents and is about to outgrow them. She has been BEGGING her parents to allow her to ride in just a booster and they agreed to allow her.

As soon as they arrive, she will be in Parkway SGLs.

My dd had started asking about a booster in the car as well. Not regularly, but when she found out we had to take the car to drop her off at school one day she was immediately upset and I knew right away it was because of the booster.

I've had no good reason for the delay other than I'd been hoping to find a booster that would allow me to do center/outboard passenger with room to buckle, but I realized a bit ago that just wasn't going to be doable. Until recently though she still would choose the harness for long trips, so I hadn't worried about rushing out to get her a booster - but now that she'll choose booster for longer trips too I have no worries.

Liam is still harnessed, but I might try him out in a booster seat once he hits 40lbs. He's 5 and fairly mature.

He's about 38lbs, so I'll probably have a while yet.

Dd sat at that weight for awhile. From what I've been told kids tend to teeter around 40lbs and be a bit up and a bit down before going over and staying over. When dd went over 40 to stay she did go over by a few lbs and it was a fast growth spurt, so maybe there's truth to it? :shrug-shoulders:

Those first few booster rides are nerve wracking since you just don't know how they'll sit until you try, but they have to happen sooner or later. :)

It's kind of funny, I actually got a lecture from my dd on Thursday about sitting still in the seatbelt. :eek:

I forgot to take my coat off before leaving and so took it off before getting on the highway and she was concerned about me shifting sideways and that I wouldn't be safe if the shoulder belt wasn't in the right place.

What else could I do but tell her that she was right and that mommy shouldn't have wiggled to take her coat off. :eek:

Baylor

Thanks for all that information! I am looking forward to pics of her in it!

There is just so much to know and take into consideration. My son likes the harness so I couldn't threaten him with that, lol..

I know this day is coming for us. It is hard to believe how fast they grow.

Kat_Momof3

he looks so comfy in it... meh... get rid of a different seat and keep it...

I want a picture of the big girl in her new booster!

babyherder

Thanks for all that information! I am looking forward to pics of her in it!

There is just so much to know and take into consideration. My son likes the harness so I couldn't threaten him with that, lol..

I know this day is coming for us. It is hard to believe how fast they grow.

Its not so much a threat (at least for me) as a fact. I'm going to keep all kids in a safe restraint. If the booster is not being used correctly its not safe so they go into a harness.

Baylor

Its not so much a threat (at least for me) as a fact. I'm going to keep all kids in a safe restraint. If the booster is not being used correctly its not safe so they go into a harness.

I hear you on that.. I don't threaten anything I don't mean.. No idle threats here! I completely agree and am right there with ya!

snowbird25ca

he looks so comfy in it... meh... get rid of a different seat and keep it...

I want a picture of the big girl in her new booster!

Yeah, I really do like the CA for ds even though he's not in it right at this instant in either vehicle.

Pic will have to wait until I go out with the kids tomorrow or Tuesday. I've had a cozy day at home today. :love:

britfish

Funny, DD is just 6.5 and we are waiting until after winter to booster full time too!

snowbird25ca

They're cell phone pictures, but I managed to snap a couple today while we were out getting the kids hair cuts. :)

We pull her coat up so that the seatbelt sits right on her legs and just take the coat off for longer trips. (she gets hot if we leave it on during long car rides.)

eta: I know in the first one with her coat lifted up she's leaning forward a bit. In the 2nd one I think she's slightly crooked the way she moved for the picture, lol. It was before and after a hair cut so her hair does look different between the 2 in case anyone was wondering. Her shoulders don't fill out the coat, but the belt crosses in the middle of her shoulder and neck with being maybe a smidge closer to her neck. :thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

She looks very excited! What color is it?

That one is the gray. In the truck we have the red one. The car one is the old model, the truck is the 2010 model (and wow is the LATCH storage improved on that one!)

She's always happy to pose for a carseat picture. Then again, this is the kid who is always talking about how her classmates shouldn't be riding in the front seat because there's an airbag there and it's not safe for kids to be in front of an airbag. So she may have an interest in car seat safety herself when she gets older. :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC