Questions About Passenger Vans, and Handicapped Accessible Vans

TyAndCheyMommy

I am looking into buying a newer van. I am going to have to go with a passenger van- and have to have a handicapped lift or ramp in it.
I would love to have the lift put in the side door and the place for my DD directly behind my drivers seat (but am having an issue finding a van like that).
I need at least a 12 passenger van- so I am imagining I have to go with an 15 passenger in order to add the lift.
How safe are passenger vans? Does the safety rating go down as the seats go up?
Is it safe for my DD to be in her wheelchair in the van, or do I need to plan to transfer her to a car seat for as long as I possibly can lift her?

ADS

Pixels

Whenever possible, it is better to use a traditional restraint instead of restraining in the wheelchair, whether that restraint is a carseat or the regular vehicle seat for an adult-sized person.

Fifteen passenger vans are rather less safe than a 7/8 passenger or sedan, but you have to do what you have to do. If you need the space, you need the space.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Not to mention, significant safety improvements have been made in just the last couple of years in larger passenger vans. Buying as new as possible will give you the best possible safety features in a large van.

I agree that transfer as long as possible is the safest option for your daughter-- there are even special needs seats out there that will fit small adults, and provide much superior crash protection, depending on her positioning needs and your ability to lift her, there will be differing options. However you will still need a safe way to restrain the wheelchair, folded or unfolded, while she rides in the car, to protect her, you, and everyone else in the vehicle.

TyAndCheyMommy

I just looked up the access sienna... Not enough seats for us. There are only 5 seats in the back- I need at least 9 and a place for my DD's chair.
DD will never be able to sit in a regular vehicle seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC